Has anyone played the new Painkiller?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
It's getting really bad reviews but I just feel like so mindless shooting.. but those reviews are terrible. I wonder if I still have the original around, it was released in 2004 and got pretty good reviews, so these new low scores can't be blamed on the genre.

edit: I just checked, the brand new game is only $20 on steam, the original is $2.49... guess money isn't an issue on the original.

Last edited:

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
The original by People Can Fly and its expansion Battle Out of Hell are the only 2 Painkiller games worth playing if you ask me. You should also consider Serious Sam if you haven't played that or consider replaying it if you have.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I played serious sam 2nd encounter, I got stuck at that room where everyone is bouncing around like popcorn. I thought that level was retarded, I think I was even cheating and still got stuck. I did love the first few hours of game play though.

I also bought the HD upgraded version of that game and I might have got stuck at the same spot, kind of forget.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Hell & Damnation is a remake of the original game plus Battle out of Hell.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Hell & Damnation is a remake of the original game plus Battle out of Hell.

oH, i was looking at the scores for Recurring Evil at Metacritic. That's the one that had low scores. Hell and Damnation looks good, it's another of those games that got a High Def Re-do.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I played serious sam 2nd encounter, I got stuck at that room where everyone is bouncing around like popcorn. I thought that level was retarded, I think I was even cheating and still got stuck. I did love the first few hours of game play though.

I also bought the HD upgraded version of that game and I might have got stuck at the same spot, kind of forget.

The bouncing room in SS:2nd Encounter is one of the classic rooms in any of the old school FPS's. That room and the rotating cylinder room are awesome.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I like mindless shooting too but serious sam is a hell of a lot better.
The painkiller levels are always cramped, usually boring, and collecting those stupid coins & souls is way more trouble than its worth. Have also never seen the massive open levels and hordes of enemies serious sam is famous for.

Lazlo Panaflex

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2006
Word to the wise: avoid all the new Painkiller games, they're just shit. Don't waste your $$. The current publisher (Nordic Games) refuses to fix any of the game breaking bugs in Recurring Evil...the asshats even went so far as to delete posts on the Steam forums when asked about it.

Another vote for the SS games :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I bought the brand new one (Hell and Damnation) which just came out yesterday. It's an HD remake of the original, done in the Unreal Engine. I'm playing it co-op right now and it's pretty fun.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
They really shouldn't have titled this Hell & Damnation, as I saw it was out on GMG and figured it was yet another mediocre 3rd party expansion, so I completely ignored it. Would behoove them to imply that this is a remake in the title.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
They really shouldn't have titled this Hell & Damnation, as I saw it was out on GMG and figured it was yet another mediocre 3rd party expansion, so I completely ignored it. Would behoove them to imply that this is a remake in the title.

The shortened version of the title is "Painkiller HD" which is much more self-explanatory.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I bought the brand new one (Hell and Damnation) which just came out yesterday. It's an HD remake of the original, done in the Unreal Engine. I'm playing it co-op right now and it's pretty fun.

I remember having a lot of fun with the original (yeah the coins were lame, that was like Mario N64 lol), I liked shooting the flying witches and staking the crawling patients to the ceiling, it was fun. Never did finish it though and I'm not sure I'd pay $20 to play it again, I mean it looked pretty good back then. Not sure if that game needed an upgrade like Half Life did.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I have the original and it's a great mindless shooter with still great graphics but, you are right, Serious Sam series is better.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
oH, i was looking at the scores for Recurring Evil at Metacritic. That's the one that had low scores. Hell and Damnation looks good, it's another of those games that got a High Def Re-do.
Yup, this is basically Painkiller HD. Of the non-official expansions, only Overdose is good.

The rest are crap – they completely miss the fine balance of combat and exploration that the original game did so well.

I like mindless shooting too but serious sam is a hell of a lot better.
The painkiller levels are always cramped, usually boring, and collecting those stupid coins & souls is way more trouble than its worth. Have also never seen the massive open levels and hordes of enemies serious sam is famous for.
I don't agree there, and I’d rank Painkiller as good as Serious Sam. Painkiller’s secrets are satisfying to find, and the coins allow you to equip cards which makes you more powerful. Then you can go back and unlock more cards with your new abilities.

It’s a completely different game once you start using cards and trying to unlock all of them, and trying to find all of the secrets too.

As for wide open areas, Painkiller had quite a few (e.g. military base, refinery, train station, opera house, etc).

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Dan, since you seem to be the only who bought this remake, can you answer a question: Steam description says it has 14 levels and 4 boss monsters for both the original and Battle out of Hell. I know the original painkiller had something like 22-25 levels depending on which difficulty level you chose and BooH had 10 levels. What gives? Did they remove a ton of levels?

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Dan, since you seem to be the only who bought this remake, can you answer a question: Steam description says it has 14 levels and 4 boss monsters for both the original and Battle out of Hell. I know the original painkiller had something like 22-25 levels depending on which difficulty level you chose and BooH had 10 levels. What gives? Did they remove a ton of levels?

I don't have the game and don't know all the details, but I noticed several posts in the Steam community complaining how short the game is. Apparently a bunch of original levels were removed and you can beat it in 4 hours or so.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/214870/discussions/0/864950181833680812/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/214870/discussions/0/864950181826331430/

Last edited:

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
They asylum level with the children crawling on the ceiling and that guitar music playing is simply an awesome gaming experience.