Has anyone installed a fireplace insert or blower?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Generally, you don't have to connect to the flue to draw well, but you will notice (when you go to clean it, or have it cleaned) that you're going to have a LOT of cleaning/brushing to do, on the back side of the insert and the inside of the smoke chamber and possibly the firebox.

Also, be aware that if you're burning regularly with an insert, it's a good idea to clean yearly (or more often, depending on how much wood you're going through.....generally, at least every 2 cords). This is because the inserts tend to cool the smoke more before sending it up the flue (where did you think the extra heat was coming from?), which condenses all the gasses more quickly as the smoke is exiting, and heading up the flue. That means more creosote in your smoke chamber, fire box and flue......and that's the shit that burns when someone has a chimney fire.
Good info. I've had it cleaned every year but, so far, I haven't been completely satisfied with any of them. I'll try again soon.