Has anyone here played F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: CrystalBay
Stop crapping in the FEAR thread Bitch....

Nice name calling and thread crapping. Where's the mod when you need em?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
BFG you just love hearing your self talk don't you? You reply every little word like it matters and talk of trolling but you aren't too far off.

When it all comes to it. It's your opinion and my opinion. Let's leave it at that.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
See, the thing is there are valid criticisms that could be leveled against Fear's engine (e.g how it hasn't been able to demonstrate rendering a day-time scene as good as other popular engines) but your criticisms were half-baked. You hated the gameplay and level design and tried to somehow pass that off as an engine problem.

As for Source, it looks good and runs very fast at the same time. Of course it does have limitations, specifically with regards to its technology lagging behind other major engines in some areas. For example I still don't believe it has a unified lighting system which is something Doom 3 had three years ago.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I picked up the game after 1st seeing this thread, and I just completed "Interval 4."

So far, I'm impressed. Graphics look great, the level design is fantastic. Running at 16x12 and 2xAA, with a Pent 930, 2GB, and 7950GT, runs pretty smooth (>30 fps).

TehBluebear

Dec 5, 2007
*ignores the trolls*

Originally posted by: CrystalBay
I'm just waiting for the real "Monolith" EP2 to come out and than we can have a real pissing contest...

Ahhh yes... Project Origin :D Cannot effin' wait for it. I've basically ignored all of the 'fake' F.E.A.R expansion/sequels, as its not what Monolith envisioned.

Hope the story in Project Origin continues being awesome, I loved the original F.E.A.R's storyline.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
For example I still don't believe it has a unified lighting system which is something Doom 3 had three years ago.

Yea but technically Doom3's lighting and reflections still kick the crap out of everything.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Yea but technically Doom3's lighting and reflections still kick the crap out of everything.
Yes, like I said, Doom 3 had a unified lighting system three years ago which is something I don't believe Source has even today.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
I picked up both expansions, playing through the first now, its more of the same, but thats not a bad thing. Despite all the talk about graphic engines, lighting, blah blah blah, I'm still having fun, and thats all that matters to me. :)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
I picked up both expansions, playing through the first now, its more of the same, but thats not a bad thing. Despite all the talk about graphic engines, lighting, blah blah blah, I'm still having fun, and thats all that matters to me. :)

So far, I think Perseus Mandate is better than the 1st expansion.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
F.E.A.R. was mostly about fun, engaging firefights with smart AI and weapons that felt right, with oomph. You get a lot of that here, but the new weapons kinda suck. The laser is boring compared to blowing someone in half with a shotgun. It's no "scarier" than the first game, but I gotta admit I did jump one time upon entering a dead end and then turning around and Paxton was standing right there. I unloaded a few rounds into his ashy remains hehe.

*SPOILER*

There's no appreciable addition to plot and it isn't explained how the protaganist in Perseus can slow down time like the original F.E.A.R hero can. The original was some genetically grown freak brother of Paxton and son of Alma so his powers make some sorta sense, but how's this Perseus guy got superhuman reflexes?

Anyway, it still looks and sounds like fear, but most maps seem a bit empty. The graphics haven't improved or gotten any worse, and at least it runs really well on any modern card.

If you really liked F.E.A.R I'd say Persues is a bargain bin must have. More of the same, but more of a game you like is a good thing, isn't it?

Anxiously awaiting Project Origin (F.E.A.R. 2)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

Before you guys start to crap on each other, look at the first post, then look at my post. This is a few months old now. No need to talk shit anymore.

For those who havent got the new game and liked the original, you should get this. The acting is a little cheesier than the first, but the action is much better. There are several large scale firefights with groups of DELTA Force, FEAR, ATC, Replicas and independant mercenaries. They even throw in a mech or two for good measure.
You've also got plenty of creepy-little-girl moments to keep you interested.

True it doesnt have the writing quality of Deus Ex or the gun action of Serious Sam, but I think most folks will find this a happy medium with better graphics & physics.

For those who havent played any of the FEAR titles: Its similar to Doom3 only MUCH better. It actually gets scary once in a while and you have more environments and better shootouts with the bad guys. The level design, slowmo gunfights, and enemy movement is a little closer to Max Payne.

The expansion to the first game was the only one lacking in story. You spend the whole night running two or three blocks away from a helo crash just to witness another helo crash.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk

There's no appreciable addition to plot and it isn't explained how the protaganist in Perseus can slow down time like the original F.E.A.R hero can. The original was some genetically grown freak brother of Paxton and son of Alma so his powers make some sorta sense, but how's this Perseus guy got superhuman reflexes?

Anyway, it still looks and sounds like fear, but most maps seem a bit empty. The graphics haven't improved or gotten any worse, and at least it runs really well on any modern card.

If you really liked F.E.A.R I'd say Persues is a bargain bin must have. More of the same, but more of a game you like is a good thing, isn't it?

Anxiously awaiting Project Origin (F.E.A.R. 2)

I was also annoyed at that little hole in the plot

It seemed that this was just an attempt at milking the franchise. But i still enjoyed the game nonetheless

The new fear is gonna be very high on my list of games to play when it comes out. Looking forward to it.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I thought it was a bit weak at first but there was a good amount of variety after the first couple of levels. The challenge maps are fun too.

Don't expect any major plot advances or Alma action from the expansions, they're just extra levels put together by a completely different team to make some cash. It works for me though.