Has anyone here finished the Steam version of KotOR 2?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
If so, were you able to complete it without encountering any game-breaking bugs?

I have the disc version of the game, and I've played somewhat lengthy games twice (once I'm pretty sure I was almost at the end), but both times I encountered a bug that made it impossible to continue. I was thinking of maybe buying the Steam version if that sort of thing has been ironed out.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I have finished it twice but both times with the content restore mod.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Haven't played it in a long time but never remember encountering a game breaking bug. KOTOR 2 is incomplete though, mostly due to LucasArts rushing it to market. The restoration mod adds all the missing stuff. Unfortunately, I can't get it to play nice on Windows 7 at 1080p.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I've finished the "plain" disc version twice (light side, dark side) without any game-breaking bugs. The ending itself is a bit . . . rushed since LucasArts forced Obsidian to release it on an impossible schedule for holiday sales.

I have a game in progress with the Steam version and the DeadlyStreams content restoration and fixes mod, but I haven't finished it yet. I've done the mining station, restoration station/planet, Nar Shadaa and Dantooine. It works fine for me with Win 7 64-bit, but my Steam folder is on a D : drive instead of in Program Files and I think I'm running at a lower resolution than my native 19x12.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
The only issue I had with KOTOR2, both with and without the restoration mod, is that I would get random freezes during a load right after a cinematic. I would have to use the task manager to exit the game and load from a save prior to the point where it would freeze. A P.I.T.A. but still workable.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
The only issue I had with KOTOR2, both with and without the restoration mod, is that I would get random freezes during a load right after a cinematic. I would have to use the task manager to exit the game and load from a save prior to the point where it would freeze. A P.I.T.A. but still workable.

Known issue , you need to change the affinity to 1 core

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I've finished the "plain" disc version twice (light side, dark side) without any game-breaking bugs. The ending itself is a bit . . . rushed since LucasArts forced Obsidian to release it on an impossible schedule for holiday sales.

I have a game in progress with the Steam version and the DeadlyStreams content restoration and fixes mod, but I haven't finished it yet. I've done the mining station, restoration station/planet, Nar Shadaa and Dantooine. It works fine for me with Win 7 64-bit, but my Steam folder is on a D : drive instead of in Program Files and I think I'm running at a lower resolution than my native 19x12.

Yeah, I've only played the disc version, and I can't recall any huge bugs.

Sadly, KOTOR 2 only had 12 months of development time. KOTOR had 36. =( I still really enjoyed it though.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I've played the Steam version of the game on Windows 8 with the restoration mod installed (highly recommended, btw). I can't remember having any major problems getting the game to run; there might have been a few hiccups but if so they were easily solvable (for me).

The one thing I do remember having trouble with was getting the widescreen mod to work. A widescreen mod exists that works with the disc versions of Kotor 1 and 2 but doesn't work with the Steam versions, apparently. So I'm stuck running the game at 1280x1024.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Gotten halfway through the first one twice, haven't installed the second yet.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
The bug I encountered was the same both times:

A video would play, and when it was time to control my character the screen would go black. I could hear game sounds and hear my character move, but nothing I tried would restore the picture.

I even replayed several hours of an old save to get back to the same point and got the same result.