has anyone here ever done drum corps or indoor drum line?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
OK so I go to USF (university of south florida) and one of our percussion instructors here is instructing the front ensemble at Infinity Percussion (www.infinitypercussion.com) this upcoming 2007 season. He told me to come on sunday to audition for drum set...

Now here's the thing. On the website, it only has audition info for battery and mallets. There is NO information about auxillary percussion and/or drum set. The only audition I've ever had was for all county jazz band and it was a joke how easy it was. Obviously a world class indoor drum line that got first place in open class last season will NOT be a joke to audition for. So what can I expect and how can I prepare myself?

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
I didn't play percussion, so take this for what it's worth.

The couple of times I auditioned for a group, I was given a piece of music to practice until it was my turn.

When it was my turn, I was tested on scales (I think they were looking for tone etc... everyone could play scales by then...lol), the piece I was given to practice, and then a piece I had to sight read (play it without having seen it ahead of time).

Not sure if the drum line would be similar, but that was my experience.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Usually you are given a piece to play. When I auditioned for the Madison Scouts drumline I was given a piece in advance. Each part (snares, tenors, etc...) had a different piece.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Work on the feet with the music and KNOW THE PIECE. See if you can get it in advanced.

/step-daughter was in guard for Spirit
//I filmed Spirit and travelled a bit

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
well here's the issue... im trying out for drum set, not a battery instrument. Their website has the audition material for mallets and battery, but NOT drum set, even though one of their staff members told me they specifically want a dedicated drum set player.

Fortunately, what I do know right now is that there has only been one person to audition for drum set and he was supposed to be horrible. YAY :)

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: slugg
well here's the issue... im trying out for drum set, not a battery instrument. Their website has the audition material for mallets and battery, but NOT drum set, even though one of their staff members told me they specifically want a dedicated drum set player.

Fortunately, what I do know right now is that there has only been one person to audition for drum set and he was supposed to be horrible. YAY :)
Cool. Then if you can get the snare music, learn it. That way you will be almost to the fill in. Save your $ too. It will probably be anywhere from 500-1200.

If you need something just to 'tide you over', visit our site http://www.versatilemediasolutions.com/ Have stuff under both audio and video.