Has anyone here ever been an apartment manager?

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
A friend of mine is the assistant manager in a complex of college students, and another property (35 units) with college students that his company owns is in need of an apartment manager. He was told to find one, and I was asked if I am interested in the position.

I don't have any particularly relevant experience, but my current job has flexible hours and I may be able to do this simultaneously. I would be required to work 3-4 days/week, 3-5 hours/day, more at the beginning of the month to receive and enter rent checks, etc. In exchange, I would receive free rent/utilities in a 2BD/2BA apartment (which would normally rent for $2200/month - I could rent out a room or keep the entire apartment to myself) in a secure building with a pool and gym, $1600/month, and medical/dental benefits.

I'm expecting a learning curve, but imagine I could pick things up pretty quickly. There is a 24-hour maintenance man who lives onsite, and right now every unit is full for the school year. Has anyone ever been an apartment manager, and if so how was your experience?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
on one hand, your life will suck because you're dealing with college students

on the other hand, 2bd/2ba that normally rents for 2200 is pretty damn good

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I don't think there's much of a learning curve - people in this industry usually say that it's nothing special or worth talking about, but there's money involved, so if you can get in, no reason not to.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
are you good with people? i couldn't do that because they would ask for silly things that would make me mad

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: FoBoT
are you good with people? i couldn't do that because they would ask for silly things that would make me mad

I've taught classes on anger management and conflict resolution, so I feel prepared to handle the worst. I can get irritated pretty easily too, but am pretty good at setting and maintaining firm boundaries. I wonder what kind of silly things the tenants could ask for.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
I don't think there's much of a learning curve - people in this industry usually say that it's nothing special or worth talking about, but there's money involved, so if you can get in, no reason not to.

As I understand it, few apartment managers are only apartment managers - do you know if this is true or not? Since the hours are flexible and oftentimes it's a pretty smooth operation, apartment managers sometimes have full-time jobs, etc. The former apartment manager was attempting to be an actress, and the flexible hours gave her time to go to auditions, etc.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
on one hand, your life will suck because you're dealing with college students

on the other hand, 2bd/2ba that normally rents for 2200 is pretty damn good

No kidding. The place I'm living in right now is tiny.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: MrsBugi

As I understand it, few apartment managers are only apartment managers - do you know if this is true or not? Since the hours are flexible and oftentimes it's a pretty smooth operation, apartment managers sometimes have full-time jobs, etc. The former apartment manager was attempting to be an actress, and the flexible hours gave her time to go to auditions, etc.

I lived in an apartment a few years ago. The apartment manager there ran about 5 different complexes around town and was in the process of building more. So if you only have one complex to take care of, I highly doubt it would be a full time job.

MrsBugi

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2005
Originally posted by: Leros

I lived in an apartment a few years ago. The apartment manager there ran about 5 different complexes around town and was in the process of building more. So if you only have one complex to take care of, I highly doubt it would be a full time job.

Phew, that's a lot of complexes to manager. I will only have one to be responsible for, and should have no problem fitting it into my schedule then. Here's hoping I'm accepted for the position...

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003

I don't know much about apartment management, but a friend of the family runs a big apartment complex (it serves mostly students at the University of Florida) full time & makes decent money. I think he has a few other duties for the owner, but is kept pretty busy.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004

I would be required to work 3-4 days/week, 3-5 hours/day, more at the beginning of the month to receive and enter rent checks, etc. In exchange, I would receive free rent/utilities in a 2BD/2BA apartment (which would normally rent for $2200/month - I could rent out a room or keep the entire apartment to myself) in a secure building with a pool and gym, $1600/month, and medical/dental benefits.

I'm expecting a learning curve, but imagine I could pick things up pretty quickly. There is a 24-hour maintenance man who lives onsite, and right now every unit is full for the school year. Has anyone ever been an apartment manager, and if so how was your experience?

All that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Kaspian

I would be required to work 3-4 days/week, 3-5 hours/day, more at the beginning of the month to receive and enter rent checks, etc. In exchange, I would receive free rent/utilities in a 2BD/2BA apartment (which would normally rent for $2200/month - I could rent out a room or keep the entire apartment to myself) in a secure building with a pool and gym, $1600/month, and medical/dental benefits.

All that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

$3800 a month plus benifits for 9-20 hours of work a week. Not bad.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like a great deal, but I would wonder if you'd get pestered a lot by people complaining about noise. But with rent value + salary = $45,600, plus the benefits, plus the ability to essentially work another full-time job at the same time... hard to believe they'd have any trouble filling that job, so I'm a little skeptical it's as simple as you've been told.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
3:00 AM drunk student pounds on your door cause he is locked out.

3:45 AM neighbor of drunk student pounds on your door because of loud party at drunk students.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
thats pretty tempting. If you can deal with the added stress of a second job and college students noise etc. sounds pretty rad. Free housing plus money is nice sounding!

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Ignore me, I'm not sure if my reply was relevant, too tired to think properly

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
with college students, just prepare yourself to deal with mostly noise complaints, people who are locked out, roommates fighting with each other, people trying to sublease the apartment illegally, people coming in and out at all hours of the night, people who have never lived on their own before and coming to you for advice.