Has anyone here built their own desk?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'm having trouble finding a computer desk that I like. I can find a few that are close, but nothing that really does it for me. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever built their own desk. If my current desk were centered, I'd like it, but I sit off to the side.

I'm looking for a desk where you sit centered and the desk needs to have the raised up part for the monitors (like this). It should be able to support three 24" LCDs.

Any ideas?

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
I made my own desk and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I ended up using 2x4 for the posts and under support, 1/2" ply for the desk part. (think of a short box) I used 45 degree cut 2x4 for stability that ran from under desk attached to ply to the legs in the back. For the part that you want, I cut 2" dowels for the right height and then glued and deck screwed the top part in. The hide the ply edges, I used plastic t-molding. Then I primed the whole thing with the intent to paint it some color but never did.

It was built like a tank and wieghed maybe 100 lbs. I could easily stand on it without a worry. Another oversight was that it was too big to get out the door (since i had assembled in the room) and I didn't want to take it apart, so I offered it to the guys that I sold my old place to. He wanted to use my old office like I did, so I left it.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I had a custom desk quotes from a local cabinet guy. We designed ours from the Crate & Barrel desks with the hutch and file cabinet supports.

2 desks each with a pc case box (to get it off the ground)
2 hutches with space for papers and crap

He quoted us about $1200 which was a bargain. Custom height for my needs and all the stuff we wanted. We ended up spending the money on the cat (bowel obstruction) so we did not have them built.

We now have our monitors on shelves mounted to the wall, so the hutches would not be used at all. The plan is still to have customer desks made.

desk

May 16, 2000
I just finished my loft bed/chest of drawers/desk combo. Soooooo sweet. Nothing beats building exactly what you want. I can draft some plans for you if you want, if you're handy enough to byo.