Has anyone else ever played a game so much that they started to have dreams about it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Yep pretty often.
These days I know it's a huge warning sign to cut back on gaming.

The weirdest dream was playing an MUD. Basically I dreamt of text and typing text. Nothing but black console screen and colorful text...

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
if i close my eyes for longer than 10 seconds... i can still see the cow level... i can still hear the moos...

*shudder*

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Doom 3 came out in 2004, when I was in middle school (I know, I know, I'm young). Playing the demo freaked me out and gave me nightmares at least a couple times.

OGOC

Jun 14, 2013
Hide The Sausage.

And maybe Mortal Kombat.

Fortunately not at the same time.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I don't know if I've ever had "dreams" per se, but there have been times when I would close my eyes, and just before I fell asleep, where I would see items from the game, or images from the game anyway. I had been staring at the screen so long it was still heavily in the forefront of my consciousness.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Just last night I had a dream about persuading and recruiting some Shivering Isles (Oblivian) monsters to fight with me...especially remember the Gnarl as a prime recruit!

Wife of Runz

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Had another dream about The Last of Us last night. Beat it last night as well, amazing game.

syd2oo2

Jun 1, 2013
Usually, if I play a game a lot right before going to sleep, I have some dreams connected to the gameworld. Borderland 2 comes to mind :).

OGOC

Jun 14, 2013
I think this thread caused me to have a Doom3-like dream last night. Spooky.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Had a couple dreams about Unreal and UT many years ago. But no dreams about Guild Wars which I have almost 14,000 hours playing, sometimes 20 hours at a time, a lot more than the Unreal series.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Yes and basically that means your mind is still playing the game even when you are supposed to be asleep or falling asleep. From what I have read it happens because you were so focused on the activity when you were awake that it carried over into that state of "rest"/pending rest. This in turn can become a state of unrest for some folks when that happens. What I've been told is that whenever you have just spent a long period of time doing something intently and repetitively you should wait a while (30 minutes to an hour, etc) and do something completely different to allow you mind to re-adjust and relax.

Last edited:

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Mostly just sometimes would get RTS leftovers while trying to go to sleep. I'd still be seeing armies in my minds eye before getting to sleep.

I've dreamt of games a few times. Was awesome, but can't really remember specifics other than thinking it was fun.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Haha yea it happened with Everquest and Myth because I overdosed on them so badly. When I overdosed on Myth I used to dream about Creep on the Borderlands which was my all time favorite map. If I got burned badly by a well timed Wight coming out of the river and exploding in the middle of a bunch of my warriors or archers I'd dream about it. That's when I knew I had to cut back :) I eventually quit when EQ came out.

...which led to EQ dreams because I played so much for 3 years straight. I'm not going to reveal those because they were a bit disturbing :)

Wierd that I haven't had dreams about any other games especially like BG2 which I've played even more than EQ and Myth.

I really miss Myth. Met some really cool people back then.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Dreamed about Baldurs Gate before and uh...the Diablo 3 auction house. No joke. I have neverdreamed about the game itself, probably because I spent 10x more time on the AH than in the game, so much I started dreaming about scheduled auctions I wanted to win.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
Sometimes, I have dreams about playing the games. Especially when it comes to multiplayer games, games I want to play badly, but I don't have time for it or a special case: Magic: the Gathering. I usually draw bad cards that I don't even play in my decks. Now that's a nightmare.