Has Anyone "Bought" Winrar

ascalice

Feb 16, 2014
Anyone? The 40 day free trial lasts forever. You can get it for free instead of paying $30. I havent bought winrar.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't use proprietary software when there's good libre choices. Been using 7Zip forever. rars are antisocial.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I remember when 7zip didn't support rars. I used both then, but not 7zip suppors rars and I don't use winrar anymore. Then again, I remember using winzip AND winace AND winrar, before 7zip came out... Winace was the bomb.

I don't know of anyone who's paid the license, and I certainly haven't. Someone must have, surely though. The annoying popup is annoying if you open loads of compressed files.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Winrar is actually considerably faster than 7 zip, especially for rar files. But even then I haven't bought it because there has always been a reasonable free alternative in the open source world.

Last edited:

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
I did, years ago. The license I have is still valid even for the current version. You could compare that with Winzip where you would have to buy a new license almost every year to stay current.

But it's mostly corporations that buy those products, in bulk. Most home users would just use 7-Zip which is a great product and free.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2011
I bought it a very long time ago because pop ups piss me off. I figured the programs I use all the time the least i could do is help support them. :) And winrar has never failed me so I had no issues buying it.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I always used Universal Extractor. You can extract anything, even .exe files. I used to extract certain applications like Itunes so I could avoid installing it's update utility and Bonjour. Of course it does .rar and lots of others.

Also good for making sure the .exe isn't also installing some BS you don't want.

Jan 20, 2013
Personally, I use 7zip because of no pop-ups.

I believe winrar never locks you out after the trial in hopes that you can convince your workplace to use winrar. Since the workplace is a business, they are legally obligated to purchase it.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I bought it a very long time ago because pop ups piss me off. I figured the programs I use all the time the least i could do is help support them. :) And winrar has never failed me so I had no issues buying it.

I as well---all counts above. In my experience, the only compression/decompression app anyone will ever need.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
I've tried 7zip a few times but I keep going back to winrar. I don't remember my reason but it is enough for me to deal with the popups.

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
I always used Universal Extractor. You can extract anything, even .exe files. I used to extract certain applications like Itunes so I could avoid installing it's update utility and Bonjour. Of course it does .rar and lots of others.

Also good for making sure the .exe isn't also installing some BS you don't want.

but it has been updated since 4 years man (2010) o_O

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
I remember Winace used to be able to extract .exe and .msi, which was awesome, but then I stopped using it and I've only missed that feature like once in 8 years or something.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Been using WinRar forever(pretty much since it was first released). Never paid, just dealt with the nag window. I rarely need it these days though.

Morbus

Apr 10, 2009
The last time I tried winzip it was like a huge suite with big ass icons all shiny and colorful. Even the titlebar was different. Of course you know something like that is not gonna be good.

Also, I've heard the name zip mixed up with spyware stuff, I don't trust them that much...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You see Winzip on the computers of oldsters. I think it was more popular "back in the day". I last saw it on a computer in the office, but I don't know how it got there.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
The last time I tried winzip it was like a huge suite with big ass icons all shiny and colorful. Even the titlebar was different. Of course you know something like that is not gonna be good.

Also, I've heard the name zip mixed up with spyware stuff, I don't trust them that much...

:thumbsup:

U bet: puerile, insulting bloat.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I don't use proprietary software when there's good libre choices. Been using 7Zip forever. rars are antisocial.
This.
You could compare that with Winzip where you would have to buy a new license almost every year to stay current.
I actually bought a WinZip license. But that was many, many years ago, before they started doing this. I haven't used it in a long time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've never bought winrar, or even used it much. Back in the day it was Winzip. Then I discovered 7zip which is free/open source and never looked back.

Now that I'm in Linux there is gzip, and various GUI utilities.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I've never bought winrar, or even used it much. Back in the day it was Winzip. Then I discovered 7zip which is free/open source and never looked back.

Now that I'm in Linux there is gzip, and various GUI utilities.

I see that thing bundled on many sites for "freeware" and I stay away. I mean 7zip. Winrar is all I have used for very long time. Its wizard is genius.

When I got my first computer, since I had no idea I had other options, I got WinZip from an old version site for free. Then, I learned I had way better option and In ever looked back.

After using Winrrar for 20 mins, I also came to feel WinZip is hideously over and badly written.

Last edited:

lamedude

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
2012-10-29-1c3a818.png

taq8ojh

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
7-Zip has superior compression algorithms and beats WinRAR even with its new format. BUT...
1) compression doesn't mean nearly as much as it did ten years ago.
2) 7-Zip never came out of beta or even alpha since 2010 and I don't think it ever will, because the author simply doesn't get it.
3) 7-Zip has horrible GUI which I just can't stand.

I won a single PC licence for WinRAR recently, but when I can afford it, I will buy a multi for the entire family.