Has Anyone Actually Switched to Geico Insurance?

Tbirdkid

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2002
Ive used geico for a while. I switched from state farm when i had a wreckless ticket that got dropped in court. I got charged, so they slapped me with the price of the insurance rate as if i had one. I dropped my insurance by quite a bit when i did it. The bad thing about them is that their motorcycle insurance is outrageous. So i went with someone else for that. I now have my whole families vehicles on geico. No probs ever, and i have had accidents and all.

stevent76

May 10, 2001
Geico was on crack on my insurance coverage. I am 28 and my wife is 25. She has two speeding tickets. We have a 04 Honda S2000 and an 04 Ford Explorer. They wanted $4000 every six months. Not every year....every six months. (that is not an exageration) Right now I pay $800 every six months. Maybe they just dont like my age and my cars.

Aug 27, 2002
I looked into it, but progressive had better rates, and I see thier ford escapes running around town so I know they do what they say they do.

NascarFool

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I had AIG through Progessive.com and switched to Geico. The wife and I are over 40 with no accidents or tickets. AIG was bending me over for $2300 every six months to insure four vehicles. I pay less than $1000 to Geico for six months on the same vehicles with a lower deductible.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I switched to Geico (NY) and saved a few hundred... liability only.

Shyatic

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2004
I saved $1600 a year on my insurance (literally half!). I was with Liberty Mutual and was under 25, with a sports car. I was paying $3200 a year then, now I have TWO cars, both full coverage, still under 25, and I pay $1600 a year for both. To boot, my coverages are higher and my deductibles lower. I live in New Jersey so there are horrendous problems with auto insurance as it is -- which is why when Geico came to NJ, I think everybody switched and the rates dropped like crazy! :)

Superwormy

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
I switched and saved around $800 a year vs. Allstate/some other insurance company that begins with a P whose name I can't remember right now.

Got in one accident, Gieco handled with no problems. My insurance went down $20/6 months even after getting in the accident.

22 yrs. old, had Geico for 2 years now.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
geico quoted me 50% less than all other companies.

i already said that in the other thread.

use the search next time. :p

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
I had been a Geico customer for 16 years, when I had a big issue with them last year. I had all kinds of hassle with them during a not-at-fault claim after being hit from behind on the freeway.

On my one year old car (still new to me), they were attempting to use "recycled" used parts for the front and rear bumper covers. My body shop complained that the parts were so badly damaged that they were unusable. I had to have several arguments with both my Geico claims adjuster and his supervisor before they approved the use of new parts. My body shop thought they were dealing with the other guys' insurance company(not mine), because they were so difficult.

Again, bear in mind I was a long standing, 16 year client of Geico.

After my Geico policy expired last year I switched to USAA, and I saved a couple hundred dollars.

*edit* PS... bear in mind that in Texas, it's illegal for an insurance company to specify the condition of the parts used, where the repairs are made, etc.

Britboy

Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SNiPeRX
Originally posted by: SilentZero
hell no. USAA for life!

I had USAA but I switched to Geico and I actually save 190 a year..

We have USAA and are fairly happy with them, I used to think they were the gold standard for customer service (one of the big reasons we keep them), and for most things they are, but for claims they have been pretty p1ss poor which is tempting me to start shopping around and maybe dump them.

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: stevent76
Geico was on crack on my insurance coverage. I am 28 and my wife is 25. She has two speeding tickets. We have a 04 Honda S2000 and an 04 Ford Explorer. They wanted $4000 every six months. Not every year....every six months. (that is not an exageration) Right now I pay $800 every six months. Maybe they just dont like my age and my cars.

Wow and I thought my quotes from Geico were bad. They wanted almost three times what I'm currently paying through Liberty Mutual. But $800 to $4000 that's just :shocked:.

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001
Used to have Geico and they wanted $800 every six months. I switched to progressive and now I pay $500 every six months for coverage on 2 cars.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I had Geico, and switched to Farmer's when I found out their rates were going to be HALF of what Geico was charging me! :shocked:

At 43, I pay ~$450 a year for full coverage on a Nissan Frontier 4x4, with $500 deductible, towing & rental car coverage. :)

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I was with progressive. When I first joined the military, I looked at everyone for insurance. USAA, Geico, Progressive, State Farm and even some local ones. I ended up going with Progressive because it was the cheapest. This was back in 1997. I had used them ever since until a few months ago.

Originally, when I got progressive I was driving a '91 mustang. Ugly but cheap. I ended up getting a corolla in 2000. When I decided to switch to my corolla, I did the shopping arond thing again. Progressive was the lowest again. I'm also not talking like a few bucks either time. I'm talking huge differences. I remember on the 2000 corolla that USAA wanted to charge me $1100 every six months despite a perfect driving record, a safe vehicle, and me being in the military. Progressive was like $740 every six months.

Fast forward to this year. Back in June I bought a mazda RX8. Did the same procedure. Shopped around and again progressive was the cheapest at $630 every 6 months for me. Since I had been with them for 8 years without a problem, no claims, nothing on my record, I chose them again. I set my insurance up like last time, and they were suppose to auto withdraw my bill. I saw that they had started too, and have the bank records showing they made the attempt to pay for my second month of insurance on my RX8. Then for some reason they withdrew they cancelled the withdraw. I didn't notice it, I assumed it went through because I had plenty of cash in there for it. About a month and a half later I realized progressive didn't withdraw or try to withdraw any funds at their scheduled time. I called them up and asked what the heck is up? They researched it some and said during my last phone conversation that I told to phone rep to cancel auto billing and set me up for normal billing. I was like WTF? I never said that. They had also dropped my policy because I was now 2 months late on payment. After much arguing I finally got them to FIND that phone conversation, since it was recorded and had them play it back with me listening. NOT ONCE during that conversation did I cancel my auto billing. In fact, I said, MAKE SURE when I get switched over it auto bills me to the same date! The person who originally switched my service to the new car screwed up! I asked if I could get my old policy back and they said no. I had to pay the remaining balance AND start a new policy to be covered. I was like WTF? They said I owed them $450 bucks.. grr. So I paid it. Then I went through the process of starting up a new policy. They ran the checks and said to start a new policy it would be $1450 every 6 months!!!!! At this point I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe this. A company I had been with for 8 years, had zero problems with, I had a perfectly clean record, and I was only a few months ago paying $630 every 6 months to be told I need to pay $1450 every 6 months was absurd. This was all THEIR fault in the first place, not mine at all. If that dumb phone rep had done what I told her to do I wouldn't have had this happened.

So, I called around again. Out of everyone only Geico was willing to give me a halfway decent rate again. $802 every 6 months. While it was more then what I was paying it was by far cheaper then anyone else. I hate Texas auto insurance policies. I still can't fathom why a 27 year old guy with no accidents, no claims, perfect driving record since I was 16 has such high premiums still.

Cliffs: Switced to Geico not because they were cheaper originally but because Progressive is a bunch of retards

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
paying 1200/6months with geico. other insurance companies quoted 2x-3x that....