Has AMD confirmed Zen++ will be AM4?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ive seen slides confirming zen+ next year to be AM4 but nothing confirming Zen++ will be on AM4.

Because the way this is playing out i will need a new rig soon, and i want 6 core min for the long term, just not sure im ready to go all in with a 8 core Zen in its current state. The MS not fixing the scheduler is a huge issue. I could use linux for most of what i do but would prefer a CPU that works equally well in windows/linux.

I may get a 6 core or even 4 if they perform well enough as stopgap then upgrade to Zen+ or Zen++ when they get more bugs worked out of Zen. But this is only a viable option $$ wise if Zen++ is confirmed to run on AM4 boards.

May also go for SL-X if intel bring prices down to AMD's level to compete directly in price/perf but i doubt that. Likely still be the $500 intel tax on the 8 cores.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
They're not going to confirm that this early but they did say that AM4 would be long lived. With Zen 2 coming out sometime next year, I don't see it being hard to believe that 3 will not be using AM4. I'd also assume that would be about 3 years from now. Why not just get a standard motherboard for now?