Harry Reid moves to limit GOP filibusters

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Socio, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pcgeek11

pcgeek11 Diamond Member

It is my opinion that BOTH Parties have and will abuse the filibuster.

2. pcgeek11

pcgeek11 Diamond Member

The Dems own it. They can now run the entire country the rest of the way into the shitter.

Wow that is something to cheer about.

Your kids will be living in tar paper shacks eating bugs.

3. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

You realize that the requirement that spending bills originate in the House is basically entirely irrelevant in practice, right?

4. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

5. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

+1

6. Ausm

Ausm Lifer

Have not a reality, will is a possibility.

7. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Still must be funneled through the House.:cool:

8. FerrelGeek

FerrelGeek Diamond Member

People were mispronouncing 'noocleearr' before Bush, son. Carter did it.

9. Fanatical Meat

We all know filibusters have been misused by both parties, somebody please show some leadership and correct it.

10. Engineer

Engineer Elite Member

But nobody but you remembers that....I was only 11 and didn't care! :p

11. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

So I was wondering if their was any truth to this statement, and guess what their isn't. You just made this statement up. While they have used it more than in past years, it hasn't been more then every year year combined.

12. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

Grant him that warm fuzzy that is needed to complain with.:rolleyes:

13. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

Though what is funny is the highest two years the Repubs used the Filibuster, Bush was president. Wonder why did they need to use it for, since Bush could have veto anything the republicans didn't like.

14. fskimospy

fskimospy Elite Member

Actually he's pretty close to right. Total cloture filings since the GOP became the minority are approximately equal to all cloture motions from the invention of cloture to 2006. There is simply no precedent for this type of broad scope of obstruction in US history.

No matter who controls the Senate, this needs to be stopped.

15. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Diamond Member

I approve of this. However, the filibuster is still a necessary evil. I would be happy if they simply required you to actually filibuster in person by getting the floor and continuing to speak - like the old days. No more procedural-only filibusters. Let the filibusterer take the floor with a recipe book, a bottle of gatorade, and a pair of depends.

16. DCal430

DCal430 Diamond Member

Not really, that isn't true at all.

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/cloture_motions/clotureCounts.htm

There have 385 Motions since republicans became the minority 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. There have been over 900 motions before then. So it isn't even close to equal.

17. Atreus21

Atreus21 Diamond Member

This. Was a magnificent post.

18. airdata

airdata Diamond Member

This.

The current use of filibuster is a complete joke.

What they need to do is limit the length of legislation ( as herman cain talked about in the primaries ) since most of the shit they pass doesn't get read.

Also limit terms so that people don't get too comfortable ' serving their country '.

19. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

Both sides have to compromise and one side has to man up and make the first few steps.

Obama was selected to be the leader of the government; he should start to lead.
    And lead by example.

In 2008 he let the House and Senate Majority leadership lead the government; stood back and let them poison the well. that worked as long as the Dems were in what they considered to be control (by the numbers)

However, the well is still poisoned; it needs to pumped out, scrubbed and refilled.
    The Republicans have adapted to the poison; it makes them sick but does not cripple them.

Obama needs to roll up his sleeves and man the four man fire pump. Drag Reid over also to start pumping.
    Then ask for Boheimer to help.

Anything else will be more gridlock and affect the economy.

20. Thump553

Thump553 Lifer

My gut tends to agree with you, but it is possible that Reid and the Democratic Party have grown a pair of stones. Would be a huge improvement to the Senate and to our government in general, and a huge deteriment to the Democrats when they become a minority party in the Senate sometime in the future (that's inevitable).

BTW the recently elected independent senator from Maine, Angus King, made reform of the Senate's fillibuster rules his number one issue. He trounced both the Dem and GOP contenders in a state that is traditionally as GOP (non-moral majority version) as they come.

21. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

The problem with the argument that the Democrats won't weaken the filibuster because some day they'll be the minority, is that the day the GOP takes control of the Senate, they'll gut the filibuster far worse than anything Reid is currently contemplating.

Stop assuming fair play. McConnell the traitor has proven he has no interest.

22. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

Poison the well further.

Why should the Republicans try to work with the Democrats when they are labeled as such by the Democratic leadership?

It implies that the Democrats do not want the Republicans and need them.

The Republicans are doing what they feel is best for the country.

23. Charles Kozierok

Charles Kozierok Elite Member

A man who openly declares that his priority as a senate leader is not to do the country's business but rather to politically weaken the president so his party can take the White House, is not doing what's best for his country. He's doing what's best for his party.

24. werepossum

werepossum Elite

Well said.

I agree completely. I well remember Byrd reading the phone book and looking like a total moron, holding out for yet another multi-billion dollar Robert K.K.K. Byrd federal building to be added to whatever he was filibustering. The filibuster traditionally gives one a chance to make one's case or to look like an idiot, which is half its value. It should be restored to that.

True, and it's a damning indictment on the moral quality of our politicians that they so casually ignore the Constitution. They should at least have the balls to amend it.

Given that the Pubbies still own the House, the only possible use for Reid's move is for Senate confirmation and treaty ratification. Look for more openly racist justices to be appointed and a lifetime of Kelo v. New London decisions. Also, I think this is the term where we lose our Second Amendment rights completely due to UN treaty. (Well, maybe not completely; we'll still have the "right" to be drafted and fight at the State's whim.) I imagine card check can also be passed via the Senate or perhaps even just bureaucratically. This will also be the term where we legalize all those illegals, probably via UN treaty. At that point the Republicans are irrelevant forever; it's only a question of whether they linger on as the alternative party pushing Democrat principles, or whether our two party system becomes Democrats versus La Raza.

Ironically, I support ending the filibuster on Senate confirmations and treaty ratification, so I'm hoisted by my own petard. But the principle, that neither chamber should be free to adopt rules which prevent it from carrying out its Constitutional duties, is still worthy even if I hate the ends to which it will be used.

25. EagleKeeper

Staff Member

So he feels his party has the best plan for the country.

Is that not what Obama states?
    Same as Reid? Bills he does not like are not looked at. Why? Because it might not be good for the country or good for the party?