Harry Potter Author Sues NY Daily News for Leaking Synopsis of New Book

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
'Harry Potter' Author, Publisher Sue NY Daily News over Leak

There are probably some copyright laws being questioned but I would assume that the NY Daily News would have some lawyers who would know better. I think the fact they re-printed two pages of the book as a photo is problematic. However, this is a publicity stunt by the author and her publisher. I find the case similar to what happened to ChubbyWallet and the Walmart post-thxgiving incident. Or, akin to movie studios suing people who give movies reviews or plot points away before the release?

I don't like the books, I don't see the appeal. But, I do think that the author/publisher is way off base here.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The Daily News is a TRASHY newspaper. And they knew how secretive they were being about the book, they should have known better than to publish that. I haven't read the story, so I don't know how "brief" a glimpse of the book they provided, but I'd be pissed if I was the author. Printing the picture of the pages with legible text is probably a copyright violation though. (could be fair use... but was it necessary to essentially reprint two pages of the book to tell the news story?)

Edit: I meant I did not mean the Daily News story, I read the story that was linked to.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What a easy way to make money. Leak the book to a newspaper and then sue them for quoting from it,

Bleep

Oct 16, 1999
And they knew how secretive they were being about the book, they should have known better than to publish that.
It doesn't really matter how secretive they were trying to be, a newspaper has a constitutional right to print news. Whether they crossed the line with the copyright accusations I'm not sure.