who am i

• david

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

David5188

Oct 16, 2018
want to know if the Interconnect function necessary?
I have ordinary ones, but some friends suggest to replace interconnect ones, is that necessary?

And another question, I heard that the ionization sensor contain radioactive material, is that real?
Hope someone can give me some advice, thank you in advance.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
ionization does use a small amount of americium. Its perfectly safe to be in your home. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. regular old Smoke detectors are fine with me, all these selling around the 50 dollar mark are highway robbery. Get the contractor ones that are more like 10 bucks each usually in a 2 pack on the bottom shelf.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
want to know if the Interconnect function necessary?
I have ordinary ones, but some friends suggest to replace interconnect ones, is that necessary?

And another question, I heard that the ionization sensor contain radioactive material, is that real?
Hope someone can give me some advice, thank you in advance.
The connection between the detectors is determined by the wiring that's in your house. Every 120v smoke detector I've ever seen is built to allow connecting them together.
If the wiring in the boxes the smokes are mounted to are three conductor, then it's set up to connect them together. Most likely they will be a white, red and black (the ground doesn't count). The red is generally the interconnect.

David5188

Oct 16, 2018
ionization does use a small amount of americium. Its perfectly safe to be in your home. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. regular old Smoke detectors are fine with me, all these selling around the 50 dollar mark are highway robbery. Get the contractor ones that are more like 10 bucks each usually in a 2 pack on the bottom shelf.
Thank you

David5188

Oct 16, 2018
The connection between the detectors is determined by the wiring that's in your house. Every 120v smoke detector I've ever seen is built to allow connecting them together.
If the wiring in the boxes the smokes are mounted to are three conductor, then it's set up to connect them together. Most likely they will be a white, red and black (the ground doesn't count). The red is generally the interconnect.
Thank you, I will try the interconnected ones

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Here it's a code requirement for new and retro (depends on whether sleeping areas are involved in remodels).

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Here it's a code requirement for new and retro (depends on whether sleeping areas are involved in remodels).

Same here. If any area of the remodel or addition requires a smoke detector, the whole house has to be brought up to current code. Didn't bother me at all, I like that all the detectors are connected together.

I use both photo electric and ionizing detectors, they each have their own advantages. Half of them in my home are also CO detectors.