[HardOCP] GeForce Partner Program Impacts Consumer Choice

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Doubt that would happen. They are not likely to reduce sale to non-GPP AIBs unless NV themselves were low on inventory/production. Then they can be choosy as to which AIBs get priority over others.
gpp only works as a bully move if nv follows thru. if one of the asus/msi/gb partners didnt join, the only way to keep the other two on board would be to punish the hold out. assuming they do delay allotment its possible the other gpp partners take up the slack and sales stay the same, but on the hp/dell/lenovo side it is more about laptops. laptop buyers are more particular compared to gpu buyers. if lenovo joins but hp/dell dont then all the gpus that they would be buying suddenly arent in nv accounting books. lenovo would have to magically sell that many more gaming laptops to cover all the gpus that hp/dell arent getting by not being partners. for the threat to work you have to harm hp/dells bottom line for enough financial quarters/half/years for it to become stockholder issue. but if the theoretical gpp partner lenovo cant pick up enough sales for it to not hurt nv sales numbers it also becomes a nv stockholder issue.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Doubt that would happen. They are not likely to reduce sale to non-GPP AIBs unless NV themselves were low on inventory/production. Then they can be choosy as to which AIBs get priority over others.

More importantly: if you tell DELL/HP they're not going to get the full inventory they asked for, well, you are out.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Then why would the Nvidia blog post on GPP contain the following two paragraphs?
==========================================
The GeForce Partner Program is designed to ensure that gamers have full transparency into the GPU platform and software they’re being sold, and can confidently select products that carry the NVIDIA GeForce promise.

This transparency is only possible when NVIDIA brands and partner brands are consistent. So the new program means that we’ll be promoting our GPP partner brands across the web, on social media, at events and more. And GPP partners will get early access to our latest innovations, and work closely with our engineering team to bring the newest technologies to gamers
===============================================
Really it comes down to branding. Nvidia want to push the premium brand consistently - you might pay a little more but you get the premium drivers, hardware, etc. They want to stand out more from AMD who imo fell right into Nvidia's trap with their branding response of open/freedom. AMD instead went for a good vs evil thing, and an appeal to the opensource community.

Now on forums like this that works great, there are plenty of gpu fanboys who are emotionally involved with their favourite gpu manufacturer. However most buyers aren't on forums like these, and don't have an emotional attachment to gpu brands. They just want something that works, and that's what Nvidia's "premium" branding says. AMD on the other hand makes you think of people with beards running linux fighting the system, exactly what most buyers of gpu's are not.

Hence the GPP just makes Nvidia slightly more appealing to the masses, where AMD becomes slightly more appealing to the few. It doesn't stop anyone buying either make of gpu. It's just marketing, and as always with marketing Nvidia have probably done it right and AMD have managed to mess it up.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
So all the AIB partners are going to be rebranding... pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Aside from the potential cost of additional marketing for partner companies, the consumer still gets hit because now there will be new sub "brands" that look like cheaper quality products. This isn't the case but certainly solidifies NVIDIA as the premier GPU supplier.

Worst year in tech award goes to 2018...

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
The important thing is Asus still sells AMD cards, it doesn't really matter what the branding is - who pays attention to that anyway?
Ask Apple where they rake in ~90% of smartphone profits despite having a market share of ~15%.

Branding is extremely important. nVidia isn't stupid, they know how to make money, and this is exactly why they've pulled this stunt.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This really makes me wish AMD would release something to compete on the top end. Im going to end up going with a soon to be released next gen Nvidia card due to the fact that there is not a AMD card available in that performance range.

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
The entire gpp concept is retarded. They're about to release 1180 and 1180 Ti that's 30-40% faster than the previous generation. AMD will probably release a minor Polaris and vega refresh further widening the gap between Geforce and Vega.. All Nvidia has to do is let their product do the talking.

Reactions: SirDinadan

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
The entire gpp concept is retarded. They're about to release 1180 and 1180 Ti that's 30-40% faster than the previous generation. AMD will probably release a minor Polaris and vega refresh further widening the gap between Geforce and Vega.. All Nvidia has to do is let their product do the talking.
They are afraid confused buyers may get a ROG or Aorus AMD card on the strength of higher performing Nvidia cards under those brands. I agree that Nvidia has a right to separate themselves from branding their competition may share. But should do so under their own new brand rather than forcing AMD to switch.

It would be funny if one of these days AMD make a massive comeback on the GPU front and Arez then becomes the more 'elite' brand associated with highest performance. :D

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Thats just PR speak saying we are taking to much flak for our decision to land a low blow on AMD, again.

Did anyone else literally LOL at the first paragraph? Pot, meet kettle.

A lot has been said recently about our GeForce Partner Program. The rumors, conjecture and mistruths go far beyond its intent. Rather than battling misinformation, we have decided to cancel the program.

I wonder if Nvidia had a heads up with potential lawsuits and decided to pull the plug before things got out of hand. I for one, am glad this GPP nonsense is going away.

Reactions: Krteq

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
it was rumor that the EU and FTC where looking at the GPP or considering it. Glad is done and away with but now that the manufacturers went through the trouble of debranding AMD and even produce product what is going to happen with that.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
So Nvidia achieves their goal of the AIBs separating the brands but no longer has to fulfill their promises to them? How is it cancelled when contracts were already in place and the work performed by ASUS etc?

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
So Nvidia achieves their goal of the AIBs separating the brands but no longer has to fulfill their promises to them? How is it cancelled when contracts were already in place and the work performed by ASUS etc?

I'm sure somewhere in the contract it states something to the effect of "we [nVidia] reserve the right to do whatever we want"

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I doubt HardOCP will get sampled for any NVidia card anytime soon.
In some ways that's a good thing, they can be brutally honest with flaws if they're not beholden.

When I used to write for a tech website I apparently pissed off nVidia HQ when I showed how under-performing the 8xxx series was in my tested games. Of course since I purchased my own hardware I could write whatever I pleased.

Reactions: IEC

OatisCampbell

Jun 26, 2013
I just went to newegg's site.

As long as Vega 64s a. cost a lot more than GTX1080s b. have far fewer models available to purchase c. perform at a lower level than 1080Tis, does it really matter what corporate policies on GPU distribution are to gamers?