[HardOCP] Driver Performance Comparison - AMD vs. Nvidia

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Link: http://hardocp.com/article/2013/03/04/2012_amd_nvidia_driver_performance_summary_review

This has been a great 12 months for driver performance updates, and HardOCP has just published a comparison of the performance improvements offered by both AMD and Nvidia in four big games (FC3, MP3, Skyrim, and BF3).

The conclusion that can be made is that AMD significantly boosted performance and has done a better job publicizing its efforts, but Nvidia recently achieved nice gains in several games as well (notably Far Cry 3 and BF3).

And just to be clear, both companies have released driver updates since the HardOCP benchmarks were done that would improve performance further. Also of note, HardOCP used the now-outdated HD7950@800MHz - the Boost edition would perform closer to a GTX670 in these tests.

Last edited:

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Major games, major improvements, esp for AMD. I didnt realize how far ahead the 670 was vs the 7950 in these games, even after the driver improvements.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
This only shows how messed up AMDs drivers were in the first place until recently. "Performance gains" sounds so positive, but truly it is just bugfixing and boosting performance to a state where it should have been from the start.

Dravonic

Feb 26, 2013
This only shows how messed up AMDs drivers were in the first place until recently. "Performance gains" sounds so positive, but truly it is just bugfixing and boosting performance to a state where it should have been from the start.

Yeah that's pretty much it.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Considering the hardware in the 7000 series I still think they are underperforming. So much additional memory bandwidth and calculation performance and yet it really doesn't perform anything like where we might expect considering all those additional transistors and RAM.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Considering the hardware in the 7000 series I still think they are underperforming. So much additional memory bandwidth and calculation performance and yet it really doesn't perform anything like where we might expect considering all those additional transistors and RAM.

I think AMD's next step to unlocking that wasted potential is through Gaming Evolved and working with developers. We see how well it runs games that use advanced DX11 features. With the next console generation we should see a lot more of that.