hardforum question - got banned

Oct 9, 1999
I do not frequent forums at all these days but have been a member to hard for 2 decades. Posted a FS thread selling a 3070. Just tried going to HF and noticed I'm banned.

I got banned because I only used the FS/FT forums. lolwut? is this a new rule? jesus i hope this doesn't ever happen over here.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Hardforum or any message boards.. man they now feel so ancient.

There are tons of other sites to sell used PC stuff. Hell, even use FB marketplace and demand cash. I had no problems.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I used to spend a lot of time at HardOCP. This just helps reinforce my decision to leave that place years ago.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Even ATOT would probably ban you if you came in and posted a FS thread with no other recent activity. They do this to prevent scamming and hacked accounts.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
It makes sense if they're trying to block potential fraud, however if they are knowing banning good sellers... it is only a detriment to their site.

Reddit is slowly taking over "forum" style selling. I still prefer selling on AT or [H], but Reddit gets a lot more visibility. Try listing there if you don't already (https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I didn't think the first Crysis was good enough to bother looking at the second one. I probably heard there was a second one, I guess, but it doesn't sound familiar.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Never do that.
Are you just generally hatin' on FB without a reason? Common sense goes a long way for weeding out obvious dumb scammers.

On FB marketplace I have...
  • Sold my old sectional - took nice pics and cleaned it up and sold it for 80% of original price ($900~). Cash received, the neighbor dudes whisked them away from my house. I didn't lift a finger.
  • Bought a used piano in an excellent condition ($2500). Turns out the seller was my kid's nurse!
  • Minor PC stuff.
It's a welcome replacement to CL.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I didn't think the first Crysis was good enough to bother looking at the second one. I probably heard there was a second one, I guess, but it doesn't sound familiar.
First one was an open-island tech demo. Second and third were quite compelling.

I just realized Halo's Masterchef and Crysis' protagonist has the exact same personality / voice (a determined gruff man of few words)

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Kyle perma-banned me because I complained about the seizure- inducing strobing/flashing banner-ads plastered all over the old HardOCP home-page.

Led to me discovering browser ad-blockers though so not all bad! :p

Reactions: Shmee

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Oh my, I haven't signed in to my HardForum account when I closed my mindspring/earthlink email account (same one I used when I signed in Anandtech forums).
Looks like my account no longer exist, maybe due to inactivity.

Oct 9, 1999
It makes sense if they're trying to block potential fraud, however if they are knowing banning good sellers... it is only a detriment to their site.

Reddit is slowly taking over "forum" style selling. I still prefer selling on AT or [H], but Reddit gets a lot more visibility. Try listing there if you don't already (https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/).

yes, been using hardwareswap for a while. extremely weird that they want to ban me because i haven't posted in a few years but almost a 20yo account.

kyle can suck my dick from the back.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I gave up on the notion of selling anything online. Too many creepy people now-a-days. I just buy mid to low end tech, keep it forever (my CPU is 11 years old) and plan to give it away or donate it.

Maybe if I get bold I might list on Ebay again. I used to be a gold powerseller there with $10,000 a month in sales. :)

...back in 2004. :(

Reactions: slightlyhuman

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There has been an increase in flat out stupid rules on traditional forums. As forums ages, so do the people managing it. It's akin to HOAs. Old bitter people with nothing better to do but make up rules that fit them, not everyone else.