Hardest math class you've taken?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
4th grade math. I was sick when they went over Algebra and came back the day the teacher gave a test on it.

BRObedoza

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
any of the theoretical subjects (advanced analysis, topology, modern algebra, etc)

i was like "wtf happened to all the numbers in math"

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: quackagator
Learning my times table

I *STILL* don't know that shyt.

I can do powers of 2, multiples of 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10 in my head. And that's about it. Anything more requires fingers.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
linear algebra by far the toughest math class... calculus was cake in college... my brain just couldn't digest linear algebra no matter how hard i studied... i suck at proofs (vector spaces, basis, blah blah) got my worst grade in college in this class

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
holy s**t. 157 replies? yesterday it had 4, lol. nothing like OT. respond even if you're not finished with HS, I don't care. let's make it even bigger.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
None really hard, math is my specialty. Got over 100% in calc 2, diff eq, and calc 3; didn't even have to take the final in the last two. Calc 3 was esp. easy since 3D (ie: graphics) is my trump card.

For people who have a hard time with integration I would suggest taking diff eq after calc 2 so the integration is fresh in your mind. The only thing you need from calc 3 for diff eq really is partial derivatives and that takes all of 3 seconds to learn.

zugzoog

Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: sleepmachine
partial differential equations II

problems and proofs were too f*cking long

I feel your pain. partials were a complete head spin.

In the applied area control theory was just way too out there.

Loved Laplace transforms though! :)

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
My hardest math class was geometry in highschool until one day I woke up and it all made sense. :D After that it was all downhill. Even Calculus at the university level seemed easy after that, lol.

Floydian

Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zugzoog
Originally posted by: sleepmachine
partial differential equations II

problems and proofs were too f*cking long

I feel your pain. partials were a complete head spin.

In the applied area control theory was just way too out there.

Loved Laplace transforms though! :)

I'm in PDE's right now, and it I'm not sure how it'll pan out... I should get on that homework eh?

We did Laplace Transforms in DiffEqns though, and yes, I do like those.

The final parts of DiffEq were hard I thought--eigenvalues etc...

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
I completed Calculus 3 my senior year in high school and had very little trouble with it.

In my freshman year of college I took an analysis class and was completely baffled. I ended up getting an A, but I never had a full grasp on the subject. Just way too abstract for me.

jessicak

Aug 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
It's been a long time, but I'd say the calculus one where you do integrals and derivatives of infinite series.

only math class I ever got lower than a B in.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Abstract Algebra in college, at the time I took it, was the hardest math class I ever took. I worked my buns off to get an A-. I've gotten worse grades in easier classes... Anyway, if I were to take the class now it wouldn't be nearly as hard, but I've had years of developing my mathematical maturity since then.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Theoretical Physics. It was basically Calc III/Diff Eq. as it applies to Physics. Eeeesh. One of only two classes I got a C in. Thank God there was a curve.

GiLtY

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
I've taken up to Diff. Eq, and the hardest class I've had was probably algebra.

Because of the language barrier.

I didn't speak much English when I enrolled in the algebra class, so I couldn't do any of the word problems. But language barrier aside, I thought vector calculus was harder because my teacher made it more of a practical class rather than abstract (ie. relates most of the, if not all, of the problems to physics rather than just pure mathematics).

--GiLtY

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Hardest class for me was probably Advanced Calculus II (basically part two of a real analysis sequence).

imported_goku

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2004
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
I hated doing proofs. I think Diff Eq had to worst of them - or at least the other math / cs profs didn't emphasize them as much.

QFT!!!!!!!!!!!! Never could do a single proof in geometry and yet I passed with a B :p

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: xtknight
Respond either the hardest class or whatever you're taking now and where you are (HS/college/graduate) and grades. I'm 10th grade/Geometry now (average for my HS). I got an A+ on both semesters of last year's Algebra class and an A+ even on the final (after a minor 10 point curve).

Wait till you get to college. Then take higher-level math classes. See if it is easy, then.

Originally posted by: Justin218
differential equations wasnt fun

QFT

Anyone take P.D.E.? I heard that stuff was crazy hard.