Hard drive issue

relapse71

Sep 16, 2008
I bought a new laptop, and want to keep the HDD from my other laptop. Lenovo IdeaPad G510 15.6-Inch Laptop (59406709). I installed an additional 4GB of ram, which shows up in windows systems, and in the BIOS. I used the program Lenovo OneKey to backup windows 8 onto my external drive. It made an image file. I installed my old (only by months) HDD, a western digital 7200rpm. BIOS recognized the drive. At first I got this error: EFI Network 0 for IPv4 boot failed. So I went into the BIOS and chose legacy from the boot menu. The computer now boots fine from the old HDD (old HDD with win 7 on it). But when I try and OneKey recover using the button on the computer, a menu comes up and options say to start normally, and also a recovery option. The recovery option just makes the computer boot into Windows 7. My external HDD also shows up in the BIOS. So I tried to make backup disks instead, but can't find options to make DVDs, only burn image to external HDD or flash drive.

Ideas? What am I doing wrong? I want to reformat my old HDD (WD 7200rpm) and reinstall windows 8.1 on it, from the backup.

I called Lenovo and they said maybe my external HDD is too big (it's 1T) and to maybe try a flash drive. Ordering the recovery disks are 70$. Is there a way to make disks for Win8?
Should I just use my old hard drive with windows 7, and go through the trouble of downloading all my drivers and lose windows 8; or just keep the 5400rpm (not much difference maybe) that the Lenovo came with with windows 8?

Update: I borrowed a 32G flash drive and backed up using lenovo's OneKey program. Still won't run recovery from the flashdrive using the OneKey menu at startup. I may try the clone thing or use the window 8 recovery program and try that.

Update: Seems these recovery programs both Lenovo and Windows are based on using the same HDD. I think I'll just use my old HDD with Windows 7, already downloaded all the drivers before the switch.

Last edited:

phis6

Apr 1, 2014
You can try to clone the Windows 8 drive to your WD 7200rpm drive with either Macrium Reflect, EaseUS Disk Copy or Acronis True Image via a bootable USB/CD/DVD media.