Hard drive in quiet mode?

Burtie21

Jun 11, 2004
i ran the performance tweak utility, and it tells me in order to increase performance i should disable this function, only problem is that I don't think I enabled it, thus i have no idea how to disable it, anybody have experience with this?

Thanks Graeme

Burtie21

Jun 11, 2004
maxtor 6L020J1, it's a 20 gig, i also notice that it hangs alot at startup, if u know any fixes that would help with this aswell it would be much appreciated

Burtie21

Jun 11, 2004
ok so more about my system to help with the system hangs............here we go

Biostar M7NCD nforce2 mobo
AMD Athlon 2500+(Non-OC)
768 MB DDR 3200
LG CD-RW
LG CD-R
Maxtor 20 gig hard drive(ata 133, 2 mb cache)
Samsung 80 gig hard drive(ata 100, 2mb cache)
450 watt generic psu(plans to get a new one, so plz don't harass me :))

Ok so the nature of my problem is this, when i reboot my system for about what seems like 20 minutes, but im sure is actually more like 2, the system seems to hang. For this time some windows programs will load, but not all, and I can't connect to the internet. I've tried changing my bios first boot to network, but it doesn't work because i have DSL and i need to actually connect in order to get my internet up, I've done the tweak to stop system hangs mentioned on Tweak XP on previous install and it hasn't worked. I recently reformatted and havn't done any of the tweaks from either tweak town or tweak xp yet

Any ideas as to my problem, or solutions would be more than appreciated
Thanking you in advance, Graeme

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
What if you disable all startup items using MSCONFIG? Does the system still hang when booting up?

DragonFire

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
When it hangs can you already see your desktop or are you still looking at the boot welcome screen? If your in windows and can see your desktop and it seems to be hanging while loading your system apps. Id almost would think that windows or some app is trying to connect to the internet and hangs while looking for the connection. I take it your using XP's PPPOE dialup to connect?

DragonFire

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well then my guess stand about someone trying to connect to the internet when it cant. I suppose you could try disabling your NIC card and see if your computer still hangs.

McMadman

Mar 25, 2000
If you're fully at the desktop and have (very minimal) functionality I'd blame this on windows xp.
They decided that the average user would rather see the desktop fast rather than look at a loading screen. Windows loads the user interface fast, but is still loading services/etc. I don't know of any "fix" for this behavior however, but it is a fairly common issue.