Hard disk squeak and click ??

elzmaddy

Oct 29, 2002
Very strange sounds have been coming from my hard disk... a "squeak" sound followed immediately by a click. It has happened three times during this full system backup I am doing across the network. In the past week it happened two or three times, but not spaced as close together as during the intense disk access thats going on now (the file copying is still going). The disk is a 5400rpm Maxtor Diamondmax 80GB w/ 2mb buffer and my mainboard is a Gigabyte 7DXR with an Athlon TBird 1.33. I don't recall making any BIOS changes or such, but I may have changed the IDE cable.

Has anybody experienced this type of sound? Think the drive is dying?

slowbutsure

Jan 28, 2001
:( I would have to say that you had better hope that you finish backing up the data before that harddrive dies. Any possibility of a RMA on that harddrive?

stingray2

Jan 11, 2001
could be the drive is going, or could be your powersupply is going. i have had the same problems and they have turned out to be a defective power supply, not delivering enough current to the drive. new powersupply, no more problems.

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
take the hdd out and shake it s few times. then yell perverse obsenities at it. then physically show it who is the boss.

that should take care if it one way or another :D

dew.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dew042
take the hdd out and shake it s few times. then yell perverse obsenities at it. then physically show it who is the boss.

dew.

Lol, if you don't KILL it.

dew042

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2000
Originally posted by: OulOat
Originally posted by: dew042

dew.

Lol, if you don't KILL it.

right - it takes care of it one way or another ;)

dew.