Harbouring murderous thoughts towards graphics card retension clips

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure I just had one caught in the overly-large heatsink of the graphics card, which makes it eternally locked, if it wasn't for a lot of waggling and twisting to work around the bracket. Would anyone miss it? :)

<gets out the pliers> :p

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I would like to see a newer design for graphic card mounting. These clips were designed for small PCI boards with a small heatsink or cooler... 10 years ago. Every year GPU makers are competing for the biggest heatsink block on a card. They're just not meant for this kind of load or usage.

I mean, what is this:
P1010975_zpse7ed19d6.jpg

JETninja

Oct 5, 2001
Agreed, I ended up breaking it off accidentally on the asrock 77 4 extreme build I just did for my Son. Could not see due to the size of the Video card and it being a black PCB didn't help. No matter, Card works fine without it...

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I've got an AsRock 970 Extreme3 (new as of Nov 2012). Everything assembled with no problems, but the first time I had to pull the vid card out (an XFX DD 6870) it was practically impossible to see the sliding retention clip, much less be able to reach or move it.

*SNAP*

The older type that you simply pulled/bent out to release the slot were bad enough, but locking sliders that you can't reach once the card is installed? WTF?! Eh, whatever. Just glad I didn't damage the card itself.