Hannity needs to go

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
He will find somewhere else to do his thing, but I think that the terms of Fox's broadcast license, wrg to their branding, could come into play from regulators if they try to keep him around in his capacity as a news broadcaster.

Then again, Fox News Corp may slide by default, because I do believe they are registered with the FCC as an entertainment platform, and not a News platform. This allows them to skirt the ethics problems, generally calling themselves whatever they want as long as they maintain their consistent vaguery with how they disseminate information ("Maybe Mueller is a criminal? Maybe--what, me?" etc).

And of course all of this works, because their viewers simply do not give a shit about integrity: they only need to think that they are getting the news, as long as it confirms their pre-conceived biases and doesn't challenge a single bothersome thought in their heads; never-mind that their chosen news is deliberately feeding them nonsense, and that Fox explicitly registered their organization for such purposes.

Have to admit that I am kind of the same way. Whenever a big news item hits I find myself running over to Secular Talk to figure out what I should think about the story. Perhaps "easy mode" is the default setting for a large number of humans (regardless of their ideology).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
If Hannity gets the boot from Fox he can always glide into that vacant spot that Alex has left behind in his journey from nuts to complete bonkers.

Hannity will only get kicked if he doesn't deliver ad revenue and that's not happening. I'll also take a contrary view for sake of discussion regarding "must go".

First thing is perhaps he should, but there is no "must". People get "news" from him but his job is to stir the political fires while citing people and events with no need for journalistic ethics mandate. He's not a journalist. He brings in ratings and loot. He does this.

Second is that Hannity informs not just the President but us as well. He's a bellwether, and as such a fairly reliable source of where chaos is tending to move. He's useful to us too.

Third, he's a paragon of despicability, someone who is a broadcasting moral lesson of who not to be. "Don't be a Hannity" with constant spewing of examples coming from the fount of slime punctuating the lesson for reasonable people. Others? They choose to not be better than they are and so nothing can be gained by his removal.

Fourth, he's ceaselessly entertaining at some level. A horrific trainwreck where morality and ethics perish perhaps, but hell if I didn't snort out a laugh when it was revealed that he is a client of the ignoble Cohen. An on-air Hindenberg of personality on flame like the disaster that made it famous. Forever onward "Hey Hannity, got any good tips from your lawyer, Cohen" will be heard. It allows for a rare indulgence, schadenfreude, to be justly enjoyed. Most assuredly he has not received his full measure of just rewards- yet.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Then again, Fox News Corp may slide by default, because I do believe they are registered with the FCC as an entertainment platform, and not a News platform. This allows them to skirt the ethics problems, generally calling themselves whatever they want as long as they maintain their consistent vaguery with how they disseminate information ("Maybe Mueller is a criminal? Maybe--what, me?" etc).

I don't think the FCC requires any real distinction between 'news' and 'entertainment' anymore. We no longer have The Fairness Doctrine, and while still listed as a core part of their job they have completely abdicated their responsibility to ensure that broadcasters are not "rigging or slanting the news" which their official charter calls "a most heinous act against the public interest", but which Chairman Ajit Pai has recently said actually enforcing that in any way would go against the First Amendment. Not to mention that they don't really have much power to enforce such rules against cable networks anyway.

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think the FCC requires any real distinction between 'news' and 'entertainment' anymore. We no longer have The Fairness Doctrine, and while still listed as a core part of their job they have completely abdicated their responsibility to ensure that broadcasters are not "rigging or slanting the news" which their official charter calls "a most heinous act against the public interest", but which Chairman Ajit Pai has recently said actually enforcing that in any way would go against the First Amendment. Not to mention that they don't really have much power to enforce such rules against cable networks anyway.

Exactly, does anyone want a Trump appointee saying what’s considered “fair” news to anyone?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Hannity will only get kicked if he doesn't deliver ad revenue and that's not happening. I'll also take a contrary view for sake of discussion regarding "must go".

First thing is perhaps he should, but there is no "must". People get "news" from him but his job is to stir the political fires while citing people and events with no need for journalistic ethics mandate. He's not a journalist. He brings in ratings and loot. He does this.

Second is that Hannity informs not just the President but us as well. He's a bellwether, and as such a fairly reliable source of where chaos is tending to move. He's useful to us too.

Third, he's a paragon of despicability, someone who is a broadcasting moral lesson of who not to be. "Don't be a Hannity" with constant spewing of examples coming from the fount of slime punctuating the lesson for reasonable people. Others? They choose to not be better than they are and so nothing can be gained by his removal.

Fourth, he's ceaselessly entertaining at some level. A horrific trainwreck where morality and ethics perish perhaps, but hell if I didn't snort out a laugh when it was revealed that he is a client of the ignoble Cohen. An on-air Hindenberg of personality on flame like the disaster that made it famous. Forever onward "Hey Hannity, got any good tips from your lawyer, Cohen" will be heard. It allows for a rare indulgence, schadenfreude, to be justly enjoyed. Most assuredly he has not received his full measure of just rewards- yet.

I dont know, I can see ad revenue dropping as he gets increasingly more toxic additionally the ownership of Fox may not want Fox to be the shining beacon of Trumpism as the very definition shits even more right and down (mob-like).

I definitely see the informational and entertainment value of the character but we all see the characters coming on here with the same talking points, that means whatever they be selling some folks be buying... My say is that its not worth it. The only reason I can imagine I would want Hannity to stay is for him to dig a bigger hole for himself and Trump.

Apr 27, 2012
The left once again trying to shut down Hannity is disgusting and unacceptable. Hannity doesn't need to go and should stay.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The left once again trying to shut down Hannity is disgusting and unacceptable. Hannity doesn't need to go and should stay.
But it’s Hannity who is disuuting and should go and that is a fact because I say so. Your thinking that what you said is true because you said it has to be wrong because there is just so much more certainty that my opinion is superior.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Hmmm

Has the topic of gun control ground to a halt

CNN is a joke. They aren't real news especially with their coverage recently.

28o4p6.jpg

Last edited:

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I predict another compuwiz shit post and run......

How dare you guys keep interrupting my naps and general codgerness...
Got a hot date with the floozy down the street. Gotta go splash on some Old Spice. :cool:

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
So by this are you saying that you are not concerned that the news you are getting is scripted, tainted, and possibly fabricated?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So by this are you saying that you are not concerned that the news you are getting is scripted, tainted, and possibly fabricated?

Brewing a bit on this another question comes to mind; how much of this is Hannity running solo? Is Hannity running this sshow with consent from his higher-ups at Fox? Taking directions? If so, does Trump know? Who excatly is pulling what strings?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
How dare you guys keep interrupting my naps and general codgerness...
Got a hot date with the floozy down the street. Gotta go splash on some Skin Bracer. :cool:

ftfy. No self-respecting octogenarian applies anything that isn't called Skin Bracer to their faces.

Mar 11, 2004

Sorry this post is just stupid.

First: Yes, because that's what we need. Hope you're never critical of the Kardashians or other shit like that then. Seriously stupid argument.

Second: By that logic, guess we should be having Larry Nassar and Jerry Sandusky be pundits for sexual assault, especially for cases involving minors. At least they'd have actual professional insight and qualifications, which is more than Hannity fucking has. Again, seriously stupid.

Third: WTF? So your way of improving the media is to have people in the media to point to and go "don't be like them"? And you say this after saying that Hannity brings ratings and money. I didn't expect your argument to get dumber after your first two points, but it did.

Fourth: Wow...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Sorry this post is just stupid.

First: Yes, because that's what we need. Hope you're never critical of the Kardashians or other shit like that then. Seriously stupid argument.

Second: By that logic, guess we should be having Larry Nassar and Jerry Sandusky be pundits for sexual assault, especially for cases involving minors. At least they'd have actual professional insight and qualifications, which is more than Hannity fucking has. Again, seriously stupid.

Third: WTF? So your way of improving the media is to have people in the media to point to and go "don't be like them"? And you say this after saying that Hannity brings ratings and money. I didn't expect your argument to get dumber after your first two points, but it did.

Fourth: Wow...

Then get a lawyer and go to court and demand that Hannity must go. Tell the judge that he or she has to listen to you. Be prepared to be removed from court.

Again you have entirely missed the point. He should go. Now execute your mandate. Good luck.

Not one word which supports that Hannity must go because that is not our choice. Like I said argue a legal basis that requires him to go.

Give one now. One single sound basis in law. It is not my post but you failing to understand the meanings of words.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Secular Talk nails it again.....

He has clips of Hannity calling out conflicts of interests of other news guys. Pure gold!