Hangover help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
6,991
0
0
HAHA. I remember the days of hangovers. Now i can get blasted all night long fall asleep at 2-3am and be up and fine at 8am the next morning like nothing happened the night before
 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,553
12
81
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: azazyel
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: minendo
The best cure for hangovers is more alcohol.
I concur. Keep drinking alcohol until your brain swells and you die. Once you're dead, no more hangovers.

Drinking in the morning can make you feel better because you stop the metabolism of methanol and the formation of formaldehyde because you've got alcohol in your system again. That could help the withdrawal that you are having.

Edit: removed snide remark
And that helps the dehydration how? It doesn't. Hangovers are caused by dehydration, drinking more alcohol leads to further dehydration.
Dehydration is only one of the several causes of hangovers.
 

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
6,991
0
0
EXACTLY. Hangovers arnt the toxins and what not. A hangover is basically your brain being dehydrated hence the headache. If you feel like crap in the morning drink glasses of what and take some advil. You should be fine. Better yet drink some water before bedtime if you can find a glass and some water and im not talking about toilet water :)
 

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
2,132
1
71
as it was mentioned by a few people, water is the absolute best choice. hangovers are dehydration...period. just drink lots of water. after a rough night i usually drink about a litre of water with breakfast and all is better in an hour or two. good luck ;)
 

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
774
0
0
Originally posted by: minendo

Dehydration is only one of the several causes of hangovers.
I'm quite aware of that, but it is a major cause, and by drinking more alcohol you worsen it.
 

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
5,872
1
76
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: azazyel
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: minendo
The best cure for hangovers is more alcohol.
I concur. Keep drinking alcohol until your brain swells and you die. Once you're dead, no more hangovers.

Drinking in the morning can make you feel better because you stop the metabolism of methanol and the formation of formaldehyde because you've got alcohol in your system again. That could help the withdrawal that you are having.

Edit: removed snide remark
And that helps the dehydration how? It doesn't. Hangovers are caused by dehydration, drinking more alcohol leads to further dehydration.
Hangovers are not caused just by dehydration but then again no one really knows why people get hangovers. The drinking of alcohol helps fight the symptoms of a hangover. I agree that water is absolutely necessary but a shot of whiskey in the morning helps quite the brain.

 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,553
12
81
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: minendo

Dehydration is only one of the several causes of hangovers.
I'm quite aware of that, but it is a major cause, and by drinking more alcohol you worsen it.
By the way, the whole more alcohol thing was a joke. It is actually a sign of alcoholism if you drink to rid hangovers.;)
 

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
28,558
3
81
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I would not help her, but recommend something that will worsen it. Tell her to have coffee or caffeinated drinks. It's good for her to learn early how bad hangovers can be. It may take her 2, it may take her 20 or even 200, but eventually she'll learn her limits of drinking.
/me taps monitor. Is that you Skoorb? I can't believe you just Dad-ed out on us here. C'mon dude! ;)
 

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
28,558
3
81
I've found the best way to PREVENT a hangover is to take two chewable vitamins and three glasses of water before sleep. Make sure when you wake up to urinate that you drink another glass or two as well. Now, this doesn't always work, so the next day you might suffer but it will be less.
 

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
774
0
0
Originally posted by: azazyel
Hangovers are not caused just by dehydration but then again no one really knows why people get hangovers. The drinking of alcohol helps fight the symptoms of a hangover. I agree that water is absolutely necessary but a shot of whiskey in the morning helps quite the brain.
By drinking more alcohol you introduce more ethanol into your system. Ethenol is then converted to acetaldehyde, which is a very bad toxin. You'll be hardpressed to find a medical specialist who agrees that alcohol is a good way to get rid of a hangover.
 

DrNoobie

Banned
Mar 3, 2004
774
0
0
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: DrNoobie
Originally posted by: minendo

Dehydration is only one of the several causes of hangovers.
I'm quite aware of that, but it is a major cause, and by drinking more alcohol you worsen it.
By the way, the whole more alcohol thing was a joke. It is actually a sign of alcoholism if you drink to rid hangovers.;)
I figured it was a joke, which is why I went along with it at the beginning. :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY