Hanging TV's on wall... Where to put cable box??

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I always see these great pics flat screens on the walls and nothing else around them. No receivers, no cableboxes/DVR's.. What am I missing? I currently have Uverse so I have to have a box.. Seems odd to have it on the opposite side of the room.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They are people that just have a tv hanging on the wall. They watch SD cable on it :biggrin:

I call those glamour shot setups. Not liveable spaces, just look cool in a magazine, same with those wide open kitchens.

Booty

Aug 4, 2000
Most likely have all the gear hidden and are just using IR repeaters (and, of course, running AV cables through the walls).

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I found ATT offers a RF remote and adapter.. $60!!! WTF?? Doesn't Direct TV add it for free? Looks like the best option I guess..

IR repeaters look interesting although it sounds like most if not all don't work with the Uverse boxes.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I helped my parents wire a 90' HDMI cable from a near by closet which housed the Dish HD box

oh and they use a rf remote... clean install

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Guessing a combo of fortunate (or planned) room configuration allowing components in a separate space and an IR repeater to make the remote work.

I'm going through one such "glamor-shots" makeover in my AV space - dumping the old fashioned side towers + bridge and TV stand entertainment center and wall mounting my setup including a 50" plasma and JBL LC2 center + L820 mains. Everything else is going in the storage space behind the wall on which I'm mounting the TV and speakers. Only problem I'm trying to figure out is where to park the subwoofer (and it's future twin) plus providing convenient access to the blu-ray player (loading/unloading discs and all). Details..

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-404...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277090716&sr=8-1

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
RF remotes.
Here is a unique solution to the problem. It turns any IR remote into an RF remote by just installing a special battery in place of the normal battery.
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generatio...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

Still the greatest thing to happen since IR remote control. The award-winning NextGen Remote Extender is now improved and we call it Remote Extender Plus. Simply install our battery transmitter in place of one of the AA or AAA batteries inside your remote control, then point the receiver or attach the bright eye emitter to the components you wish to control. Now you’ve converted your existing IR Remote to Digital RF, giving you the freedom to go from room-to-room and control your components anywhere in the house.

The Remote extender plus gives you the ability to control two same brand components independently.

• Works with most AA and AAA remotes
• Receiver has built in charger and comes with
(2) 2/3 AA specially sized rechargeable batteries.
• Available in 433 MHz or 418 MHz frequencies
• Single-Eye IR Emitter included

weadjust

Mar 28, 2004
Directv remotes are RF capable. Just go into the menu and change the default setting to RF.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
I found ATT offers a RF remote and adapter.. $60!!! WTF?? Doesn't Direct TV add it for free? Looks like the best option I guess..

IR repeaters look interesting although it sounds like most if not all don't work with the Uverse boxes.

I had a friend complain (legitimate) of the bad response of the IR remote and received the $60 RF remote for free. AT&T has good customer service.