Halo 2 Vista: Worst PC Game I have ever played!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AntisociaL

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: effee
never liked the halo series, even on the xbox. dont know whats with the hype about it

Agreed, lower standards maybe?
Have not played 2 yet but when I played through the first one I though it was so repetitive, to a point of being boring. I think the popularity of the multiplayer is why it's so hyped.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Duddy
I had to upgrade to Vista to play the damn game. Vista seems to have installed Micorsoft drivers for my card. And ATI Catalyst doesn't work with Vista. So I'm SOL right now.

I swear to god, between Vista support and lack of Linux drivers, I'm never buying an ATI ever again. I'm gonna do some tweaking and see if I can get it working any better. It just sucks that the only way to tweak Halo 2 is a slider with only 3 settings. Low, Medium, High.

I want to adjust lighting and particle effects and quality of sound but I can't.

This game is like Mario Teaches Typing. Or atleast that's how much it's worth.

ATI Catalyst doesn't work in Vista? :confused:

Catalyst 7.5 (5/31/07) for Vista 32-Bit : http://ati.amd.com/support/dri...32/common-vista32.html

Catalyst 7.5 (5/31/07) for Vista 64-Bit :
http://ati.amd.com/support/dri...64/common-vista64.html

Don't go out and trash ATI when you apparently didn't even look for drivers. ATI has top-notch driver support for Vista and releases new drivers every month.

The reason you have such terrible performance is you're using the drivers that CAME WITH VISTA, and their purpose is to allow you to run the OS and that's about it. If you're going to be playing games you need the latest drivers.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
i think halo was a huge hit on xbox 1 but the idea of M$ milking the halo franchise for all its worth is showing what a failure they are making of it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
never liked the halo series, even on the xbox. dont know whats with the hype about it

Agreed, lower standards maybe?

Basically... I mean Halo is really the only shooter on xbox with decent multiplayer. They don't have a lot of options so whenever something mediocre comes around they have to cling to it like nothing else. It just shouldn't be ported onto the PC where we actually have the good shooters and we know how bad halo is in comparison.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Who ever buys this game is a tool.

Oh yeah! Whoever calls people a tool is a tool! Take that you tool!

Tool is a crappy band and anyone who likes them is a tool.

Being an asshole must pay really well these days. I should look into it.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Extelleron
I had to upgrade to Vista to play the damn game. Vista seems to have installed Micorsoft drivers for my card. And ATI Catalyst doesn't work with Vista. So I'm SOL right now.

I swear to god, between Vista support and lack of Linux drivers, I'm never buying an ATI ever again. I'm gonna do some tweaking and see if I can get it working any better. It just sucks that the only way to tweak Halo 2 is a slider with only 3 settings. Low, Medium, High.

I want to adjust lighting and particle effects and quality of sound but I can't.

Catalyst 7.5 (5/31/07) for Vista 32-Bit : http://ati.amd.com/support/dri...32/common-vista32.html

Don't go out and trash ATI when you apparently didn't even look for drivers. ATI has top-notch driver support for Vista and releases new drivers every month.

The reason you have such terrible performance is you're using the drivers that CAME WITH VISTA, and their purpose is to allow you to run the OS and that's about it. If you're going to be playing games you need the latest drivers.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Vista seems to have installed Micorsoft drivers for my card. And ATI Catalyst doesn't work with Vista.
I think we've found your problem right there. Go and install Cat 7.5 and you should be fine.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I thought Halo 1 was a well-done port.

Only exception is the lack of AA on Halo 1. The controls are on par with any other fps game.

And the game was repititve. The enemies were all the same.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I thought Halo 1 was a well-done port.

Only exception is the lack of AA on Halo 1. The controls are on par with any other fps game.

And the game was repititve. The enemies were all the same.

I thought it ran like garbage, especially considering the out of date graphics. It was ok, but I didn't like it enough to finish playing. I think I played through 3 levels or so, then quit. It just didn't grab me.

LightningRider

Feb 16, 2007
That's strange. I have a 7800GTX, Athlon X2 s939 3800+ and 3GB of RAM and it runs really well. I play at 1280x1024 with max AA and every other setting. I never measured the FPS but it's definitely not sluggish, I would say at least 30+FPS which is fine for me. The mouse controls do seem really awkward though. I had to turn the sensitivity up to max (which they call insane ha) so that I could feel even a little comfortable. I thought they did a better job with the optimizations than Halo 1 though. Halo 1 for PC was really trash and performance was bad.

Halo series games as a whole are fun but really nothing compared to the other PC shooters and I agree the series is way overhyped. Now that I've finished it, I probably won't touch it again till I get really bored. Didn't like the ending either.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LightningRider
That's strange. I have a 7800GTX, Athlon X2 s939 3800+ and 3GB of RAM and it runs really well. I play at 1280x1024 with max AA and every other setting. I never measured the FPS but it's definitely not sluggish, I would say at least 30+FPS which is fine for me. The mouse controls do seem really awkward though. I had to turn the sensitivity up to max (which they call insane ha) so that I could feel even a little comfortable. I thought they did a better job with the optimizations than Halo 1 though. Halo 1 for PC was really trash and performance was bad.

Halo series games as a whole are fun but really nothing compared to the other PC shooters and I agree the series is way overhyped. Now that I've finished it, I probably won't touch it again till I get really bored. Didn't like the ending either.

The game was originally coded to run under essentially a 700mhz celeron, 64mb of ram and a geforce 3.

It SHOULD run at at least 200-300fps on your system...30fps is ridiculous.

Phlargo

Jul 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Extelleron

And honestly, having installed both ATI and nVidia drivers in Vista, ATI is so far ahead in their driver installation package - it looks far more professional and it seems to deal much more gracefully with the Vista API. Yeah.. I'm going to have to agree on this one - ATI's Vista Drivers are almost a model to live by right now. Why the hell don't more companies have decent Vista drivers? They had the damn OS for over a year before it came out. Lazy buggers.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Phlargo

And honestly, having installed both ATI and nVidia drivers in Vista, ATI is so far ahead in their driver installation package - it looks far more professional and it seems to deal much more gracefully with the Vista API. Yeah.. I'm going to have to agree on this one - ATI's Vista Drivers are almost a model to live by right now. Why the hell don't more companies have decent Vista drivers? They had the damn OS for over a year before it came out. Lazy buggers.

You're rating the driver based on the appearance of the install package? Get back to me when you care about the important attributes like speed and stability.

CoBRaXT

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2002
OP, I feel your pain. Game is sluggish on my end too, no matter what resolution I play at, even with settings turned way down. Although I don't have the latest and greatest system, Oblivion and Stalker run much better at higher resolutions.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Boy do I ever want to try this now. Hopefully it will work decently on my system!

I did not even realize it was out yet!

KT

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

people who never played PC, they never had decent multiplayer before, and Halo was the first game to do so on consoles, for all of us PC gamers out there who've had much better, it's not that great.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The better question is why anyone thought this game wasn't going to be a repeat of the turdfest that the first port was. Looks like MS brought the porting directly under their wing so they could ensure it was screwed up as much as possible.

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
wow... i was considering getting halo 2 when i got vista, and based on all this stuff i guess im not. i played halo 1, and yes the mouse was somewhat fvcked up but it was manageable, at least to me.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
oh HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL no to those who say that Halo 1 was a well done port. Do any of you guys actually remember the system requirements it needed back then?!!?1

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Originally posted by: Phlargo

You're rating the driver based on the appearance of the install package? Get back to me when you care about the important attributes like speed and stability.

ATi wins that easily too :roll:

nV has gotten progressively worse w/ drivers, & Vista has exemplified that.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I actually enjoyed Halo 1 for PC. Maybe I'm crazy! :p

I actually doubt Halo 2 will be as enjoyable because I think they dumbed some things down, but I still really want to try it out!

KT

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought Halo 1 was a decent enough game, certainly not as good as Half Life or the like, but worthy of finishing.
It sure ran like complete ass though, I don't even remember what box I had back then, but I do remember that I had pretty damn near as good a rig as you could get, and the damn thing still didn't run well.

Ah well, due to driver issues, I'm going back to XP anyway, so it's not like Halo2 is within the realm of possibilities to begin with :)