Halliburton overcharged for fuel

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
A Pentagon investigation has found overcharging and other violations in a $15.6 billion Iraq reconstruction contract awarded to Vice President Dick Cheney?s former company, a defense official said Thursday.

gouge

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
I find it funny that they don't even mention the name of the company in question in the opening lines of the article.
Trying to hard to tie this to Cheney. No bias here.
rolleye.gif

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Better article.

Okay, I know this may be hard for some of you folks to understand, but I'll try to explain it the simplest way possible.

no bid contract = corruption. Anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is either an idiot or a liar.

Why? because if there is no competitive bidding process then whoever the gives out the bids will give it to whoever offers the best price to him/her and not the government. If you know ANYTHING about American governmental history then you know this is the only way it works. Competitive bidding within the federal government was brought in by progressives in the late 19th century to combat rampant graft. The big parties got most of their operating funds from kickbacks from no-bidders and from patronage graft. This is just another instance of the Bush administration regressing the government into rank barbarism.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: preslove
Better article.

Okay, I know this may be hard for some of you folks to understand, but I'll try to explain it the simplest possible.

no bid contract = corruption. anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is either and idiot or a liar.

Why? because if there is no competitive bidding process then whoever the gives out the bids will give it to whoever offers the best price to him/her and not the government. If you know ANYTHING about governmental history then you know this is the only way it works. Competitive bidding within the federal government was brought in by progressives in the late 19th century to combat rampant graft. The big parties got most of their operating funds from kickbacks from no-bidders and from patronage graft. This is just another instance of the Bush administration regressing the government into rank barbarism.

Halliburton got no bid contracts during Clinton's administration too. Did you know that?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Haliburton maintains their billing will pass the muster of rigorous audit.

And if Haliburton was overcharged for fuel like the thread title says they should be paid back.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Better article.

Okay, I know this may be hard for some of you folks to understand, but I'll try to explain it the simplest possible.

no bid contract = corruption. anybody who tries to tell you otherwise is either and idiot or a liar.

Why? because if there is no competitive bidding process then whoever the gives out the bids will give it to whoever offers the best price to him/her and not the government. If you know ANYTHING about governmental history then you know this is the only way it works. Competitive bidding within the federal government was brought in by progressives in the late 19th century to combat rampant graft. The big parties got most of their operating funds from kickbacks from no-bidders and from patronage graft. This is just another instance of the Bush administration regressing the government into rank barbarism.

I know this may be hard for you to understand, but REPOST. There are other threads about this.

And yes you are wrong but take it to the other threads.

CkG

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I didn't post this. So don't quote me. I just replied.

Oh and Miguel, first off you should provide a link. Secondly, Halliburton was never awarded a $15.6 billion contract. With contracts that size you would think there should be a tiny bit of transparency...
rolleye.gif

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
On CNN, or was it MSNBC, they said that Halliburton has claimed they were forced by the pentagon to buy their fuel from Kuwait, instead of Turkey which would be much cheaper. Anyways, I think they said that Halliburton has until the 17th to officially respond to the complaint. They also said that Halliburton has posted a partial explanation on their website.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Then maybe you should read the thread - the OP figured out it was a repost...but you didn't?

REPOST

CkG

Maybe you should flash your official badge CAD. Sheesh.
rolleye.gif

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
I fail to understand how my posting a Nytimes article within a current thread means I have commited a repost. Tell ferocious, not me, I was just responding because i read the nytimes article. So, STFU

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
In any case, go to CAD's linked thread, preslove. You'll find info on Halliburton there.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Then maybe you should read the thread - the OP figured out it was a repost...but you didn't?

REPOST

CkG

Maybe you should flash your official badge CAD. Sheesh.
rolleye.gif

Maybe people could read the thread and realize it was a repost. Sheesh.
How many threads do we need on this?

Originally posted by: presloveI fail to understand how my posting a Nytimes article within a current thread means I have commited a repost. Tell ferocious, not me, I was just responding because i read the nytimes article. So, STFU

Actually the thread is a repost - so please take it to the appropriate thread. ferocious already figured out this was a repost...so yes please STFU.

Plenty of info for you guys to rant about HERE.

Yes I'm in a bad mood...I'm sick...on my son's birthday. And instead of taking the day off to spend with him - I'm sitting here at home hacking and sneezing - yes I'm pissed - now take it to the right thread so I can refute your rants - please.:)

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Surprised no one mentioned this:

12-32-2003 Halliburton to Lose Iraq Oil Project

The Defense Energy Support Center, which buys fuel for the military throughout the world, will supervise the shipments and choose new contractors to replace Halliburton.

Halliburton has said it expected to be cleared by the Defense Department. The company said its pricing resulted from a contract with a Kuwaiti firm, the only company approved as a supplier by the Corps.

President Bush tried to calm the controversy, saying Halliburton should repay the government if it overcharged for fuel, which was imported from Iraq's neighboring countries.