Halle Berry fights for the natural black look

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 16, 2005
2r70chd.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
So, Halle Berry is bitching about this, but what if the daughter simply wants "hair like mommy's"? I really hope that is the case, so she can shut her mouth and just go back to being a pretty face to look at.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
After a lot of back and forth, the judge ruled that both Aubry and Berry must keep their daughter’s hair in its natural state.

She had a court order about a fucking haircut? Rich people have too much time on their hands.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I wish people had to pay for to use the court system. Bullshit cases like this wouldn't be draining taxpayer's money if that were the case. Halle herself is 1/2 white isn't she? Her daughter is only 1/4 black at most at this point. I say at most because most American blacks have quite a bit of white in them and a little indian too.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
So, Halle Berry is bitching about this, but what if the daughter simply wants "hair like mommy's"? I really hope that is the case, so she can shut her mouth and just go back to being a pretty face to look at.

That would make for a refreshing "I learned it from watching you!" type of gut-check/tender moment.

:D

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I wish people had to pay for to use the court system. Bullshit cases like this wouldn't be draining taxpayer's money if that were the case. Halle herself is 1/2 white isn't she? Her daughter is only 1/4 black at most at this point. I say at most because most American blacks have quite a bit of white in them and a little indian too.

well, this was raised under the perspective of her belief in the "single drop" theory.

...well, basically, the whole world is essentially "black" under that standard. It's a nonsense notion.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Does anyone else picture the judge punctuating this ruling with such an epic facepalm that he knocked himself unconscious for several minutes and came to saying "please tell me I just dreamed all this and people aren't this fucking retarded"? It's a stunning level of hypocrisy to straighten and highlight your own hair while simultaneously claiming it represents a racist act if someone else does it.

For reference, here's Halle Berry at the Oscars this year:

halle-berry-fame-and-philanthropy-post-oscar-party-2014_1.jpg
lol This.

Halle Berry is an incredibly beautiful woman, but she's shallower than a parking lot puddle.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What about washing a black child's hair, which prevents the formation of dreadlocks? Unwashed, dreadlocked hair is completely natural. Regularly washed hair is a "white" thing.

Wow, is this a serious question? Our hair is not naturally dreadlocked, dipshit.

Regularly washed hair is a white thing? Are you serious right now?

We wash our fucking hair too. No, dreadlocks are not going to form if we don't.

Jesus christ, some of the shit you people say about blacks on this forum is so fucked...I mean, really.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
65% Afro-americans are also of european ancestry, so much for the single drop, it wont take long for the whole black community to be such, so much for the single drop, indeed we re all the offsprings of very ancients africans immigrants, personaly i m at the first degree of africanism, that is, born there.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
It was white people who created the "One Drop" rule. That was not our creation. Many of us have mixed ancestry and that's why blacks come in different shades.

This dates back to slavery days where white men would rape black slaves and bore bi-racial children that were automatically considered black due to the One Drop rule. If you were so lucky to be light enough or to have a father with a soft spot for you..you could work in the big house...still a slave, but treated slightly better.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Are white's the only one's with straight hair now? What about the rest of us? This whole argument of hers is fucking stupid.
I'm 15/16th pasty white European, with not a bit of African in my family tree, and my hair is only straight if it's wet.

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Doesn't really matter for me what my ancestry is since I hate all races including my own quite equally.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
It was white people who created the "One Drop" rule. That was not our creation. Many of us have mixed ancestry and that's why blacks come in different shades.

This dates back to slavery days where white men would rape black slaves and bore bi-racial children that were automatically considered black due to the One Drop rule. If you were so lucky to be light enough or to have a father with a soft spot for you..you could work in the big house...still a slave, but treated slightly better.

This one drop rule is at the origin of the current situation, without this infamous law the racial problem wouldnt exist currently, the white people forced the blacks to be a distinct nation within US soil while any european immigrant was promptly integrated in the national community before people that were born in the US but werent white, i may sound cynical but i m about sure that the huge immigration that occured in the US was a deliberate policy to get the afro americans remaining a non significant minority, the one drop rule was a mean to not have people of black origin that could go political and be favourable to blacks, one has to realize that apartheid new laws were still being voted in the US as late as in the 50s and early 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jim_Crow_law_examples_by_state

Edit : The one drop rule actualy still apply, here in France this actress wouldnt be considered as being a black....

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Yes, I would. I am against anyone who straightens their child's hair because they don't like it in its natural curly state. Halle is bi-racial herself and had curly hair growing up, so, she would know what that's like to have someone straighten your hair to make you "look better".

I feel the same way about putting weaves and chemical relaxers in your child's hair too.
I agree. Besides, I like curly hair. I presume that like me, you're against tattoos, because they're not the natural state of one's body. And, no piercings, because they're not the natural state of one's body. I'm fine with a single piercing in the ear, but more than that... no. And certainly no eyebrows pierced, etc.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I don't have any tattoos, I don't like them because whenever I see someone with some silly shit printed on them, I just start wondering what its going to look like in 30 years.

I only have single piercings in my ear from when I was a baby. I wear modest earrings too, just studs, I hate loops.

My mom used to chemically relax my hair when I was a kid and in HS, I chopped my hair off and started off fresh and I am completely natural and have a head full of bushy, long, curly hair :)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I don't have any tattoos, I don't like them because whenever I see someone with some silly shit printed on them, I just start wondering what its going to look like in 30 years.

I only have single piercings in my ear from when I was a baby. I wear modest earrings too, just studs, I hate loops.

My mom used to chemically relax my hair when I was a kid and in HS, I chopped my hair off and started off fresh and I am completely natural and have a head full of bushy, long, curly hair :)
:thumbsup: :)

Last edited:

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000

once you relax it completely changes your hair texture. you know that?

Riparian

Jul 21, 2011
Wow, is this a serious question? Our hair is not naturally dreadlocked, dipshit.

Regularly washed hair is a white thing? Are you serious right now?

We wash our fucking hair too. No, dreadlocks are not going to form if we don't.

Jesus christ, some of the shit you people say about blacks on this forum is so fucked...I mean, really.

Lol, when I read his post, it was so audacious and out of left field that it actually made me wonder for a second if maybe I was living in a different reality. I don't really know how people form dreadlocks but washing hair being a white thing was pretty comical. Sorry you had to actually answer such a ridiculous post.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
once you relax it completely changes your hair texture. you know that?

That's why you cut off all the relaxed hair. When new hair grows in, it is not relaxed and the texture is not changed. So, when I cut off all my hair and it started growing, I continued cutting off the relaxed hair until all of it was natural. You can tell which part of your hair is relaxed and which part is not. When my hair gets wet, it shrinks and gets very curly. I can grab a curl and pull it to stretch it out and see that at the base of the curls, the hair is suddenly straight. You grab some scissors and cut that off. Rinse and repeat every few months and you will have a full head of natural hair.

You could have looked that up on your own, buddy.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I had no idea hair was such an important issue outside of politicians and tv preachers.