"half the journey is getting there" - Need the ACTUAL saying

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
I'm writing a paper and I want to use that saying that goes something like, "Half the journey is getting there." Basically saying that it's not always the end result but the process that is also important.

HELP! None of my friends can remember nor can my parents.

Thanks.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
The only one that comes to mind is.

A journey of a thousand mile's, begin's with a single step.

Though I don't think thats the one you'er looking for.

There was also one that went something like

Half the fun is getting there.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Half the journey is getting there, cause once you c_m the party's over.

:)

I think Brutuskend got it right :)

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Ehhh...not quite...

Gah, I can't believe I can't remember the damn quote!

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
I think you are remembering it wrong even that part. As usually you can just enter part of a quote on google and it will come up with the whole thing for you.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
For your edification and enjoyment, here are a few travel quotes :)

"The vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." Paul Richard

"Three kinds of people die poor: those who divorce, those who incur debts, and those who move around too much." Senegalese Proverb

"The next best thing to being rich is travelling as though you were." Stephen Birnbaum

"There are two kinds of travel- first class, and with children." Robert Benchley

"It is better to wear out one's shoes than one's sheets." Genoese Proverb

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Mark Twain

"People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home." Dagobert D. Runes

zippy

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 1999
Close.

Oh well, I'm calling it a 'saying' not a quote so it will vary from place to place anyway. :)

Thanks...bump anyway though. ;)

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. --- Ursala K. LeGuin

Knowing your destination is half the journey. --- Anon

"If you don't know where you are going, you can never get lost." Herb Cohen

At the hour of death, what matters most is what you have done, & not what you had planned to do.

"If you're not where you are, you're nowhere!" Colonel Potter" from a M*A*S*H episode

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." Confucius

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Chinese Proverb On a journey of a hundred miles, ninety is but half way.

Chinese Proverb A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Emerson, Ralph Waldo To finish the moment, to find the journey?s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom.

Hazlitt, William The soul of a journey is liberty, perfect liberty, to think, feel, do just as one pleases.

Huxley, Aldous The course of every intellectual, if he pursues his journey long and unflinchingly enough, ends in the obvious, from which the nonintellectuals have never stirred.

Johnson, Lyndon B. Peace is a journey of a thousand miles and it must be taken one step at a time.

Nietzsche, Friedrich Along the journey we commonly forget its goal. Almost every vocation is chosen and entered upon as a means to a purpose but is ultimately continued as a final purpose in itself. Forgetting our objectives is the most frequent stupidity in which we indulge ourselves.

Poe, James Speed is good only when wisdom leads the way. The end of this journey, whether to the high horizons of hope or the depths of destruction, will be determined by the collective wisdom of the people who live on this shrinking planet.

Raban, Jonathan Life, as the most ancient of all metaphors insists, is a journey; and the travel book, in its deceptive simulation of the journey?s fits and starts, rehearses life?s own fragmentation. More even than the novel, it embraces the contingency of things.

Rich, Adrienne Every journey into the past is complicated by delusions, false memories, false namings of real events.

Rossetti, Christina Does the road wind up-hill all the way? Yes, to the very end. Will the day's journey take the whole long day? From morn to night, my friend.

Sand, George One approaches the journey?s end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe.

Steinbeck, John A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.

He has half the deed done who has made a beginning.-- Horace

etech- Google, learn it, use it.

Here's what I got from Google:

"Knowing your destination is half the journey."

"He who has a hundred miles to walk should reckon ninety
as half the journey."

"The first step is half the journey."

"Half the journey is getting there."

Sorry I can't help you much here. :p