haha dual-monitors rule

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
i have a radeon 8500 whichs supports 2 monitors, and since my bro came home from college today with his computer, on a whim i decided to hook up the second monitor. it may be absolutely useless for me, but let me tell you, its pretty frickin cool!
anybody know anything i can do with 2 monitors that would make this worthwhile?

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I don't like how the taskbar doesn't extend to the other monitor.

I don't think the screensaver does either... :(

You can use it to read ATOT with all the threads on one screen and the current thread you are reading on the other.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yep, been using 2 monitors for months now. Unfortunately monitor #2 is a craptastic Viewsonic 15" that I recovered from a dead friend.

Monitor 1 does all my important stuff, monitor 2 has Outlook, AIM, WinAmp, and CoolMon on it. (usually outlook is minimized)
If I figure out how to do a 2-screen capture I'll post it.

fitz4521

Nov 16, 2001
at a lan party my friend did that, he had a game open on one monitor and aim on another...good stuff

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: her209

You can use it to read ATOT with all the threads on one screen and the current thread you are reading on the other.

It doesn't have to extend all the way.

I'm on 3 monitors. It rocks. :D

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Monitor 1 does all my important stuff, monitor 2 has Outlook, AIM, WinAmp, and CoolMon on it. (usually outlook is minimized)
If I figure out how to do a 2-screen capture I'll post it.

You capture it the way you do with a single monitor.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: joohang

It doesn't have to extend all the way.

I'm on 3 monitors. It rocks. :D

I find it annoying having to switch windows because when I minimize the window, I have to go to the task bar to get it back.
Plus, when I have too many windows on the screen the task bar isn't big enough to hold all the windows. I hate how xp lumps windows all into one when you have too many.

Eminem2k1

Dec 19, 2001
I hate how xp lumps windows all into one when you have too many.

just uncheck group similar taskbar buttons in the start menu properties.

tim0thy

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
you can disable the lumping of windows. and i'm on 3 monitors too... 2x21's and a 17 flatscreen (work pays for it).

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I don't mind where XP groups all the IE windows next to each other, only when they are put into one then its freaking annoying.

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
I did dual for a while. One 17" and one 15". Now I'm running a single 21". Soon I'll run a 17" and a 21".

I used it for programming, as well as AIM/Winamp on the crap monitor, and important things on the main one.

Peace,
GermyBoy

propellerhead

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2001
I run three monitors -- a 19" and two 17" CRTs. Outlook on the left. IRC on the right. Browser and whatever in the middle. It rocks! It's the best way to get more desktop space without paying an exponential price. It is so nice not having to cover one application with another.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000

Umm, i'm not sure if its unique to the Radeon 8500, but I have seen dual monitor rigs with taskbars that do extend, and dual screensavers

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: deftron
Originally posted by: TallGeese
A dual is insignificant next to the power of...THE TRIPLE!

Whoa.. that's badass!!

Is the Matrox Parhelia the only video card that does triple ?

There are some that do 4+ displays but they are targeted at the professional market.