Had the worst interview of my life. _update_

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
So I came in all dressed up and showed a little nervous on my face as usual. Then this guy handed me a test containing three pages of problem solving. :Q What the $*&@, he then said didn't I ask you to bring a calculator? I replied "Nope" He then said I'll get you a calculator. I am anal on which calculator to use but I'll just have to wing it this time. As a result, I blew many of the easy problems :( was totally unprepared. Anyways they called me back today asking to have a try out at their office. I had never been tested like this before :( Wish me luck on the try out.

--Scsi

Well well well, :D I screwed the test on my first day but I passed the actual work with flying colors heeee. :D They offered me a job right after lunch. Cool! Thanks all for caring ;) Now that I've got 6 offers lined up I'm not sure which to take. :)

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
We give a test to applicants as well.

It consists of basic problem solving, mathematical, and common sense type questions.

We call it the "Are you stupid?" test.

You would be amazed at the results.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
LOL Never had to take a test before...can't say im looking forward to the day I do though.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
Guess I'm stupid for failing that "are you stupid test" :( but why would they call me back for a try out? hmmm....

--Scsi

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Lol, almost all my interview were day long sessions in front of a white board writing C code. Get used to it man, normal technical interviews are like that, id say you got easy not trying to solve the problem in front of a comittee. Man is that a pain in the ass, you have 4 old school devs bitching about your style or variable naming, stupid pricks lol. My last set of interviews were 10 hours long with 30 minutes for lunch.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag
We give a test to applicants as well.

It consists of basic problem solving, mathematical, and common sense type questions.

We call it the "Are you stupid?" test.

You would be amazed at the results.

Oh...c'mon! Give us the dope! :p

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by: SCSIfreek
Guess I'm stupid for failing that "are you stupid test" :( but why would they call me back for a try out? hmmm....

--Scsi

No....I wasn't implying that you were stupid. Our test is not difficult enough to require a calculator, yet, out of 25 questions we routinely have people who miss half (or more) of them.

THAT's stupid.

EDIT: The best was the woman who called someone for help on her cell phone. I saw her do it, but, just out of curiosity I let her think she was unobserved. She consulted with whoever was on the other end through the entire test.

She still missed 12 questions and wrote her name in the wrong place.

No BS.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag
Originally posted by: SCSIfreek

--Scsi

No....I wasn't implying that you were stupid. Our test is not difficult enough to require a calculator, yet, out of 25 questions we routinely have people who miss half (or more) of them.

THAT's stupid.

you called him stupid man, own up to it.

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
I was given 30 minutes to complete the test and blew at least 30% of the problems due to careless idiotic mistakes. :D I'll see what happens this Friday. :(

--Scsi

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
when i first interview for MS outta school, remembered my boss asked me a stupid question about Mighty Mouse.

i was like, WTF??? :confused: good thing he didn't ask me to find the Any key!

SCSIfreek

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2000
If anyone is currently lookin for work in Northern California (bay Area)with a degree in Civil Engineering. Do Pm me for jobs. I'll probabily hook you up.

--Scsi

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
yeah, i had to take a technical test before i got my position here at my job. i had to look at a picture of a motherboard and match the letters to the parts, simple stuff like that. minimum requirements of certain os'. the only one i missed was:
" In what situation would you ping the address 127.0.0.1 ? " There were 4 answers, one was " You would not ever ping that address." 2nd was " That is not a valid address. " 3rd was " To make sure the network card installed in the computer was working properly. " 4th was something like " To make sure the network was working properly. " For some dumb reason i answered with the second choice thinking it wasnt a valid address, and right after i handed it in i knew i got that one wrong. 127.0.0.1 is what your local network card is address as, used for testing for functionality of it and so on. heh, i felt so stupid.