Had my radio stolen while car was being repaired

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Originally posted by: alkohoLiK
Yep, already paid the deductible for the repairs. I'll shoot off an email to my insurance company and see what they can do for me.

Call them if you want to be taken seriously. Be nice, but remember that the squeaky wheel gets the oil first.

I sent them an email but havent gotten a response back yet. I'll give it a day or so and if I havent heard anything back then I'll give them a call. 4:30pm now and still nothing from the repair shop.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yep, already paid the deductible for the repairs. I'll shoot off an email to my insurance company and see what they can do for me.

Call them if you want to be taken seriously. Be nice, but remember that the squeaky wheel gets the oil first.

I sent them an email but havent gotten a response back yet. I'll give it a day or so and if I havent heard anything back then I'll give them a call. 4:30pm now and still nothing from the repair shop.

dude ... call them.

you aren't a little kid. don't be scared to talk to real life people.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: purbeast0

[/b]I sent them an email[/b] but havent gotten a response back yet. I'll give it a day or so and if I havent heard anything back then I'll give them a call. 4:30pm now and still nothing from the repair shop.

dude ... call them.

Call who?? I called the repair shop a hour ago and the receptionist said neither of the owners were there. My insurance agent closes his office at 3pm on Fridays. Exactly who would you like me to call? And on top of that I am at work and can't use a phone until I get a break.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that both times I had to drop the car off at the repair shop I had full tanks of gas and when I picked the car up both times it was empty. I'm sure they were working on it with the A/C running because the trip odometer had like 10 miles on it.

rubix

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
ask them if they'd be responsible if the entire car was stolen. then go from there.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: PELarson
You are paying so someone else can listen to your satellite radio. Call the satellite company and cancel the service and report it stolen.

Call the satellite radio company and ask them to triangulate the position of the theives FTW!

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006

[/b]I sent them an email[/b] but havent gotten a response back yet. I'll give it a day or so and if I havent heard anything back then I'll give them a call. 4:30pm now and still nothing from the repair shop.

dude ... call them.

Call who?? I called the repair shop a hour ago and the receptionist said neither of the owners were there. My insurance agent closes his office at 3pm on Fridays. Exactly who would you like me to call? And on top of that I am at work and can't use a phone until I get a break.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that both times I had to drop the car off at the repair shop I had full tanks of gas and when I picked the car up both times it was empty. I'm sure they were working on it with the A/C running because the trip odometer had like 10 miles on it.

Jesus! So they empty 2 tanks of petrol from your car (probably drained it off because emptying a full tank just idling would take atleast a day or 2!) and now they're pissing you around about the radio! What a load of shit! Don't stand for it anymore!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Try: "I was chatting with our company's lawyer during lunch today. He said that it'd be a pretty easy case to win in small claims court. But, I'm sure you don't want to waste your time going to small claims court."

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Not likely. Odds are, they have a disclaimer something to the effect of "Not responsible for lost of missing items, or Not responsible for damage to your vehicle", etc...You'd probably have to deal with your insurance company to get any help...IF it's more than your deductible.

Not sure they can claim they have no responsibity for theft.
Yeah, where is the line drawn? Can they strip your car down to the bare frame and say they're not responsible?

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Jahee

dude ... call them.

Jesus! So they empty 2 tanks of petrol from your car (probably drained it off because emptying a full tank just idling would take atleast a day or 2!) and now they're pissing you around about the radio! What a load of shit! Don't stand for it anymore!

I know...tell me about it. I did have the car there for once for a month and a half and then again for 2 weeks when the repairs they did were not to my satisfaction....both times the tank was empty.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Threatening to file in small claims court and with the better business bureau and report the theft to the police: $0
Actually following through with said threats if they don't fork over however much you demand: $50

Getting some god damned satisfaction/results: Priceless.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
So nobody decided to call me back yesterday not the repair shop or my insurance company. Monday I will be a little more aggressive and stop down at the shop and talk to them in person.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
When you register, do you have to provide the serial number and such? If so, call the company right away and report it stolen. Then hopefully if someone else tries to register it, they can take action from there.

Then let the car repair place know that if you don't hear back by the end of the week, you'll have to file a police report since it was stolen while it was in their posession.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
stop pussyfooting around and call the police file a report and go to the repair shop in person and demand an answer. Either they pay up or you contact the better business bureau and file at small claims court.

does it not infuriate you to know they either used your car to run errands (probably treating it like a people do rentals) or siphoned off your gas the two times you left it there for repair?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
So nobody decided to call me back yesterday not the repair shop or my insurance company. Monday I will be a little more aggressive and stop down at the shop and talk to them in person.

Ask them to pay for the two tanks of gas, too...at $3/gallon that's nothing to sneeze at.

And never frequent that shop again.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
I'm going to do that all on Monday. They are closed on the weekends and my days off this week are mon/tue. Been working 16 hour days the past 4 days and couldnt get a chance to physically get down there. I did call them a couple times and got the run around.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
I called my insurance company and because the repair shop was not a "All State" preferred shop there is nothing they can do about it.

I am heading down there now to talk to them. If they dont pay for it on the spot then I am going to call the police and have them come down to settle it.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Update 9/17/07

I just got back from the shop and the owner was pretty nice about the whole thing. He cut me a check for $200 for the radio. I accepted it because I can get a pretty descent deal on a new radio since I am a subscriber and I can put the rest towards the service. If he gave me the run around I was going to call the cops on the spot and let them take care of it.

Thanks everyone!!

/thread

:heart: Happy Endings