Hacksaw- Which way does the teeth on the blade face?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
blade fell off.

it was used so much that the paint on the blade rubbed off, so there's no arrow to show me which way the teeth should face.

so which way? and why that way?

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Hacksaw
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about a hand tool. For the professional wrestler see Hacksaw Jim Duggan
Standard hacksaws.
Standard hacksaws.
A panel hacksaw.
A panel hacksaw.

A hacksaw is a saw for cutting metal or bones. Some of them have pistol grips which keep the hacksaw firm and easy to grip. It is a fine-tooth saw with a blade under tension in a frame.

Small hand-held hacksaws consist of a metal arch with a handle, that fits around a narrow, rigid blade. The blade has many small saw teeth along one side. The blade can either be attached such that the teeth face away from the handle, resulting in sawing action by pushing, or be attached such that the teeth face toward the handle, resulting in sawing action by pulling. On the push stroke, the arch will bend a little, releasing the tension on the blade. The blade is normally quite brittle, so care needs to be taken to prevent brittle fracture of the blade.

A panel hacksaw eliminates the frame, so that the saw can cut into panels of sheet metal without the length of cut being restricted by the frame. Junior hacksaws are the small variant, while larger mechanical hacksaws are used to cut working pieces from bulk metal.

Large, power hacksaws are sometimes used to replace a band saw in machine shops.

[edit] See also

* Band saw, also used for cutting metal
* Coping saw, similar finer version used to cut wood intricately.
* Fretsaw, similar finer version with larger 'A frame' used to cut wood intricately further from the edge of a workpiece.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I think it's personal preference but I set mine aiming away from the handle.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
On hand held Hacksaws, the teeth point forward.
On Mechanical Hacksaws, the teeth point in the direction of rotation.

So in your case, the teeth point forward.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Forward. It is easier to apply downward pressure on the push than on the pull.