Hacker Exposes Truth

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/32838

Well, looks like Palin was using her personal email for government business. Something she lied about.

I would say this is a slap in the face. It reminds me of:

'I did not have sexual relations with that woman....'

Good to see the truth being exposed.

----------------------------------
There is already a thread on this issue

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sure you are by breaking the law? I am sure there are thousands of people across the country we could toss in jail for crimes if we just disregarded that thing called the 4th amendment and barged into their homes. But at least the truth would be exposed right?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Sure you are by breaking the law? I am sure there are thousands of people across the country we could toss in jail for crimes if we just disregarded that thing called the 4th amendment and barged into their homes. But at least the truth would be exposed right?

The point I was trying to make is that when you paint yourself as a person full of integrity and ethics and publicly state that over and over... it sets you up to be the biggest hypocrite of all.

Palin would do herself a HUGE favor if she said 'I am not perfect, but I try'. Instead she says 'I am against corrupt government, I did ethics reform in Alaska etc.' and then bam, she is behing unethical herself. What does that say about her integrity?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: GTKeeper

The point I was trying to make is that when you paint yourself as a person full of integrity and ethics and publicly state that over and over... it sets you up to be the biggest hypocrite of all.

Palin would do herself a HUGE favor if she said 'I am not perfect, but I try'. Instead she says 'I am against corrupt government, I did ethics reform in Alaska etc.' and then bam, she is behing unethical herself. What does that say about her integrity?

Ok? But you are glad the truth is being exposed by all means, including breaking the law to get at that truth. Palin's disregard for for the sunshine law is irrelevant to my response to your comment.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what truth has been exposed? all I've seen from the hacked emails are stupid pics of her kids.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Ok? But you are glad the truth is being exposed by all means, including breaking the law to get at that truth. Palin's disregard for for the sunshine law is irrelevant to my response to your comment.

Depends on the situation, but in this case I would say 'yes'. That doesn't mean that I believe that those who hacked her account should be exempt from the law though.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
"There's no way to tell at a glance whether this material is authentic or a hoax..."

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Depends on the situation, but in this case I would say 'yes'. That doesn't mean that I believe that those who hacked her account should be exempt from the law though.

That is fascinating, why? Why would you think somebody breaking the law to expose something is worthy of admiration?

Werent you on here complaining about the secret illegal wiretaps months and years ago?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

Palin would do herself a HUGE favor if she said 'I am not perfect, but I try'. Instead she says 'I am against corrupt government, I did ethics reform in Alaska etc.' and then bam, she is being unethical herself. What does that say about her integrity?

No, I think breaking the law is terrible. But what is the measuring stick these days? How ethical our government is in not breaking laws it creates?

Ideally, this is terrible and wrong and I hope the hacker gets jail time.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
That is fascinating, why? Why would you think somebody breaking the law to expose something is worthy of admiration?

Werent you on here complaining about the secret illegal wiretaps months and years ago?

I don't admire how it happened. I am just glad the truth was exposed. However, I firmly believe in the justice system and those hackers do deserve to be punished according to the laws currently in place.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Palin would do herself a HUGE favor if she said 'I am not perfect, but I try'. Instead she says 'I am against corrupt government, I did ethics reform in Alaska etc.' and then bam, she is being unethical herself. What does that say about her integrity?

No, I think breaking the law is terrible. But what is the measuring stick these days? How ethical our government is in not breaking laws it creates?

Ideally, this is terrible and wrong and I hope the hacker gets jail time.

The measuring stick is the actual law. There is no middle ground imo.

Nov 30, 2006
This also applies to Nancy Pelosi...right?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Doc Savage Fan
This also applies to Nancy Pelosi...right?

Of course. I can't stand Pelosi either. She is just as stubborn as the GOP, sticks to her ideological agenda and causes gridlock.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
This is a repost, and your own article disputes your claim.

As for the sample e-mails, rather than bolstering the contention that Palin uses private e-mail to avoid possible public scrutiny of official business, at first blush they actually seem indicative of her dutifully separating Alaska business from Alaska and national politics. Both samples are overtly political in nature, which, based on my admittedly limited understanding of the law in this area, make them inappropriate when using government resources.

So they've caught her sending personal messages using her personal e-mail account? Shocking!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Palin's email account was hacked?! Tell me more, first time I've heard of it.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

It's okay when the Bush Administration does it? It's okay for the FBI to issue 10's of thousands of national security letters on everything from internet use to your library habits? It's alright for the NSA to 'driftnet' phone records from Telcomm sites?

Your faux outrage is an Epic Fail.

Too bad they didn't snag those Frye emails

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

It's okay when the Bush Administration does it? It's okay for the FBI to issue 10's of thousands of national security letters on everything from internet use to your library habits? It's alright for the NSA to 'driftnet' phone records from Telcomm sites?

The entire complaint about the government doing it is based on people taking the content of e-mails and using it for personal reasons.

Which is exactly what happened in this case.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

The entire complaint about the government doing it is based on people taking the content of e-mails and using it for personal reasons.

Palin's use of her private e-mail address for government business means that it is no longer personal.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

Palin's use of her private e-mail address for government business means that it is no longer personal.

There is absolutely no proof of this... in fact, all indications point to the contrary. The hacker went through her account (every e-mail, he claims) looking for damning information-- even something that would prove she was conducting state business through her personal account-- and he couldn't find anything-- nothing, nada, zero. So he turned over the username and password to the /b/-tards for their amusement.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

What am I on the Counter Strike msgboards or something? Epic Fail, what are you 15? What next going to tell me to "cry more"?

That said, where have I said it was ok for the Bush administration or any agency to do what you just proposed?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: QED

There is absolutely no proof of this... in fact, all indications point to the contrary. The hacker went through her account (every e-mail, he claims) looking for damning information-- even something that would prove she was conducting state business through her personal account-- and he couldn't find anything-- nothing, nada, zero. So he turned over the username and password to the /b/-tards for their amusement.

Would you say that denying the public access to e-mails from her government account as well as blacking out portions of many e-mails that were sent would not make some people suspicious? That was the point and the motive here. Again, I do not condone the act, but I most certainly can understand why someone would do this because it is highly suspicious especially from a person who is trying to hammer the idea of a transparency between the government and the people.

Even if no proof is ever solidified in this matter, the fact that e-mails from her government account and the blacked out portions of e-mails is enough for me. She is full of shit when she talks to us about transparency. That is all I needed to know. The rest is just details.