H77=No overclocking

KyleVR101

Oct 10, 2012
So guy's this topic is still floating around some of the forums just to settle everything

Much longer answer:
A few weeks ago, I decided to try and settle this question once and for all by asking Intel. They finally responded officially yesterday.
However, in the meantime while waiting for them to get back to me, I found out all I could by checking the specs on their own H77 motherboards.
I discovered, in looking at the manual for the Intel DH77EB motherboard:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dh77eb/sb/CS-033188.htm
3.11 BIOS Performance Features
The BIOS includes the following options to provide custom performance enhancements when using 3rd generation Intel Core processor family and 2nd generation Intel Core processor family processors in an LGA1155 socket.
• Processor Maximum Non-Turbo Ratio (processor multiplier can only be adjusted down)
• Memory multiplier adjustment
• Memory voltage adjustment
• Graphics multiplier adjustment
So you can play with the multiplier (... and possibly downclock only, from reading that para in the manual...) but the big thing I noted is that you can't adjust voltages.
Not being able to adjust voltages is a big problem if you plan on overclocking, and doubly so for Ivy Bridge given what happens to IB processors temp-wise above 1.3V.
Finally I did get an official response from Intel yesterday and they confirmed that the following statements are true:
1. You can overclock and ivy bridge processor, on a H77 motherboard.
SO for example, if you own an i5-3570K, you can change the unlocked multiplier to from the factory value 34 to 45, to achieve an overclock of 4.5GHz (for example).
2. You CANNOT overclock a sandy bridge processor beyond the factory-set turbo multiplier.
So on the i5-2500K you can increase its clock speed to its max turbo frequency of 3.7GHz but no further.
see the i5-2500k Spec here: http://ark.intel.com/products/52210 – factory clock speed is 3.3GHz, up to a max of 3.7GHz turbo
You can see the official response to my question from Intel here:
http://communities.intel.com/message/156063#156063
In theory the answer for your two questions is yes but Intel's position is that the operation of any Intel-manufactured product outside the published specifications for each part, such as overclocking, can result in data corruption and unreliable system behavior. It will shorten the life of your product, void the warranty of your processor, your motherboard, and possibly other devices installed in the computer. There is no support from Intel for overclocking.

To summarise:
  • You can utilise the unlocked multiplier on H77 motherboards if you have an ivy bridge "-k" chip (3570k, 3770k)
  • you cannot utilise the unlocked multiplier on non-ivy bridge CPUs (e.g. 2500k, 2600k, 2700k).
  • you are not guaranteed to be able to control the VCore voltage – ymmv depending on the mobo manufacturer and BIOS, but the intel H77 spec and their boards do not allow VCore voltage control). For this reason I would strongly advise against overclocking even ivy bridge CPUs on h77.
    - unless someone who has bought a H77 mobo can confirm with pictures of the BIOS that their product they purchased allows VCore voltage manipulation...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I'm still skeptical, I have never seen a real multiplier overclock on H77.
and "(processor multiplier can only be adjusted down)" seems o be clear enough for me, it would go against what Intel always said about the chipset lines, OC (apart from BCLK OC) can only be achieved on Z/P chipsets.

so it would be good to post some proof, like a CPUz screenshot/performance test.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
Is it possible that the voltage tweaking option comes at such high cost for TDP and power consumption, that it isn't worth to include on all but the Z boards?

Even the B75 board allows to adjust the multiplier both up and down presumably "CPU Clock Ratio Allows you to alter the clock ratio for the installed CPU. The adjustable range is dependent on the CPU being installed." - GA b75m d3v

It also makes perfect sense that the "K" alone says something about OC'ability, while the chipset governs voltages.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
My gigabye H77 d3h allows vcore manipulation.

Its got an offset setting, a manual setting and an auto setting. Its a bit strange in that if you set it to -0.2v manually then back to auto it will remember that -0.2v.

I haven't toyed with it much but it does do voltages, it wont overclock up to 3.3ghz (my chips max turbo frequency) on all cores though, ive seen this cited as possible several times but that may have been a locked chip on a Z68/Z77 etc.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Vcore voltage is supported on most H77 Boards. Overclocking through multiplier isn't possible, nothing new here.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Is it possible that the voltage tweaking option comes at such high cost for TDP and power consumption, that it isn't worth to include on all but the Z boards?

Even the B75 board allows to adjust the multiplier both up and down presumably "CPU Clock Ratio Allows you to alter the clock ratio for the installed CPU. The adjustable range is dependent on the CPU being installed." - GA b75m d3v

It also makes perfect sense that the "K" alone says something about OC'ability, while the chipset governs voltages.

while some motherboards, even with H61 let you adjust the multiplier, try starting windows and loading the cores to see if it works... it doesn't... the max is the default clock +1x (max turbo for all the cores).

overclock apart from bclk OC, only with Z and P chipset.

KyleVR101

Oct 10, 2012
I'm still skeptical, I have never seen a real multiplier overclock on H77.
and "(processor multiplier can only be adjusted down)" seems o be clear enough for me, it would go against what Intel always said about the chipset lines, OC (apart from BCLK OC) can only be achieved on Z/P chipsets.

so it would be good to post some proof, like a CPUz screenshot/performance test.
Ok so I went out and bought a Gigabyte ultra durable H77-D3H motherboard and will buy a Intel Core i5 3570k Processor - 3.40GHz, Socket 1155, 8MB L3, 2.0Gb/s Ivy Bridge
in the next month will probably not benchmark unless I get a watercooling kit but from what I've seen on the motherboard so far it seems there is some truth to the voltage change feature here is a quote from the manual

GIGABYTE's EasyTune 6 is a simple and easy to use interface that allows users to fine-tune their system settings or do overclock/overvoltage
ok so it seems to be true will check the true meaning of this when I get a knew cpu

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Does allow you to change the multiplier on a 3rd generation k series cpu though

Some boards allows for +4 from the Turbo but that's no real overclocking. You need a Z-Board in order to overclock the K-CPU properly.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Some boards allows for +4 from the Turbo but that's no real overclocking. You need a Z-Board in order to overclock the K-CPU properly.

even the +4 doesn't work without a P/Z motherboard (when loading all 4 cores, it will go down to default clock +1, which is the stock turbo setting)...
again, the MB might have the option on the bios, but that doesn't mean it works...

I suppose most of the bios is the same for H77/Z77 and others, and that's why they leave some options like that... :confused:

KyleVR101

Oct 10, 2012
Does allow you to change the multiplier on a 3rd generation k series cpu though
well if I can't get the h77 to truly overclock to the level I expect I will get the latest m/b that allows the overclocking to full extent but first it's time for a ssd and gpu upgrade

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
If you're looking for cheap overclocking, Z75 is what you need. The ASROCK Z75 is like $85 and has every feature you'd use from a Z77. "Only" supports 2 GPU slots not 3 like the Z77 (really affects what? 0.001% of the market?) Also doesn't support Intel SRT... again, how many really care? Otherwise it's the same as a Z77.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Good info... Who you calling a as* I mean Asrock Z75 doesnt have usb 3 or sata 3 does it ?

Also turbo is like speedstep I personally don't like it. Would turn it off and manually OC. what up with voltages you were saying, you cant chanage them ? I find that hard to believe since beginning of decade you can touch voltage... hmmmmm..