H67 motherboard for Windows server 2008

pepe3838

Mar 22, 2011
Hello all,

I am currently looking to put together a home server based on the Sandy Bridge platform (H67 Chipset). I am interested in not having to add an additional graphics card for power consumption reasons and because I want to take advantage of the internal engine of sandy bridge for transcoding, etc.

I even purchased an Intel motherboard but unfortunatelly it does not support installing windows server 2008 R2 on it.

Can you expert people recommend me one?

Many thanks in advance

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
The drivers come from Intel and Intel doesn't support running Server 2008 on any of its mainstream consumer chipsets. So it doesn't matter which brand the H67 board comes from. You can manually install the drivers from Intel after extracting them from the installer executable or package, though, while Server 2008 and Windows Update should bring most of the drivers.

Last edited:

JimAPSD

May 6, 2011
To TCSENTER: I have been working in IT for years (more than I wish to remember) and used to be able to buy a garden variety Intel based PC and install a Windows Server OS. Good for lab work and testing without having to spend a fortune for an experimental test machine. No more. Intel wants to sell PC chipsets for PCs and Server chipsets for Servers and no longer support PC/Server driver cross-over. I have long thought that was ridiculous and that there must be a way to get around the limitation of Server drivers for PC motherboards. In this case an Intel H67 motherboard. Your quote, "You can manually install the drivers from Intel after extracting them from the installer executable or package" eludes me. Can you be more specific? Which, "installer executable or package?" If you can help me circumvent the Server OS on a PC blockage it would be IMMENSLY helpful not only to me but to others. Thank you.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
To TCSENTER: I have been working in IT for years (more than I wish to remember) and used to be able to buy a garden variety Intel based PC and install a Windows Server OS. Good for lab work and testing without having to spend a fortune for an experimental test machine. No more. Intel wants to sell PC chipsets for PCs and Server chipsets for Servers and no longer support PC/Server driver cross-over. I have long thought that was ridiculous and that there must be a way to get around the limitation of Server drivers for PC motherboards. In this case an Intel H67 motherboard. Your quote, "You can manually install the drivers from Intel after extracting them from the installer executable or package" eludes me. Can you be more specific? Which, "installer executable or package?" If you can help me circumvent the Server OS on a PC blockage it would be IMMENSLY helpful not only to me but to others. Thank you.

technically the mobo won't block you from installing Server 08... it's just afterwards, you might be missing ethernet, video, USB/other device drivers

Windows Update takes care of most of the problems. you might have to hunt around for the rest of the drivers. The mobo page from manufacturer will give you links to drivers, but those drivers might not install (properly or refuse to install on an "unsupported" Server OS), and you have to find another way to do that

JimAPSD

May 6, 2011
Thanks PaperWastage. I suppose I used a poor choice of words to express my question. I get it that I can install the OS if I use the mobo generic SATA IDE mode, but sometimes the specialized RAID mode requiring a driver (F6 in the install) won’t install. But, assuming mobo generic SATA IDE mode the next real killer is the NIC driver. No NIC, no browse, no download, no updates. If the NIC won’t wakeup and if I can’t flash or CD the driver from another system I could purchase a separate PCI NIC and ignore the on-board NIC. At least that would get me Windows Updates and the ability to start snooping for drivers. So the basic OS install is not the problem, but as you point out, it’s the associated hardware drivers. Bottom line, what we are both talking about here are basic textbook solutions but the real question is … do you or anyone else out there have personal knowledge of any success stories involving PC mobos with Windows Server 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 or 2008 R2? Thanks to all.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
Thanks PaperWastage. I suppose I used a poor choice of words to express my question. I get it that I can install the OS if I use the mobo generic SATA IDE mode, but sometimes the specialized RAID mode requiring a driver (F6 in the install) won’t install. But, assuming mobo generic SATA IDE mode the next real killer is the NIC driver. No NIC, no browse, no download, no updates. If the NIC won’t wakeup and if I can’t flash or CD the driver from another system I could purchase a separate PCI NIC and ignore the on-board NIC. At least that would get me Windows Updates and the ability to start snooping for drivers. So the basic OS install is not the problem, but as you point out, it’s the associated hardware drivers. Bottom line, what we are both talking about here are basic textbook solutions but the real question is … do you or anyone else out there have personal knowledge of any success stories involving PC mobos with Windows Server 2003, 2003 R2, 2008 or 2008 R2? Thanks to all.

my friend successfully installed server 08 R2 on her thinkpad laptop x200(?) to use as a 'normal' consumer OS. ill ask if she needed to do any weird procedures to get everything recognised

but yeah, windows 7 pro 64bit didn't recognise my Intel DP67DE nic.
. had to copy the drivers on anothermachine using a USB flash drive

dac7nco

Jun 7, 2009
OP, I have Server 2008R2 installed on an ASRock P55 board. The only thing that didn't initially work was audio, which fixed itself with an update. I had Server 2003 installed on a bone stock HP Pentium-4 from Office Depot, which installed flawlessly.

Daimon

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Your quote, "You can manually install the drivers from Intel after extracting them from the installer executable or package" eludes me. Can you be more specific? Which, "installer executable or package?" If you can help me circumvent the Server OS on a PC blockage it would be IMMENSLY helpful not only to me but to others. Thank you.
Intel often provides its drivers in both .exe and .zip package, but sometimes a driver (or some particular version of it) is only offered in .exe package. While its a bit easier (a few less steps) when Intel provides the .zip package, its not a problem for those cases where they don't because the .exe can be opened and/or the files extracted just as though it were a .zip package using a utility like 7-Zip that can handle executable installer packages.

It looks like all current/latest drivers for H67 are available in .zip package, except for the post-install Intel Rapid Storage driver (RAID and AHCI):

INF Installation (Chipset Device Software) Utility (all current Windows OS)

Intel HD Graphics Driver (32-bit Vista/7)

Intel HD Graphics Driver (64-bit Vista/7)

The gist of things is to extract the .INF and attendant driver files to some directory of your choosing (e.g. C:\Drivers\Intel), but preserve any sub-directory structure for individual/separate drivers. A good generic overview or guide on how to manually update the drivers for a device using the 'unpacked' INF and driver files can be seen here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/sb/cs-009272.htm

Just use the instructions under Windows Vista or XP/2003 as a general guide to the process. You should be able to adapt the guide to Windows 7 or Server 2008 and figure the rest out, although the exact dialogue screens may be slightly different depending on the OS. Its pretty much the same dealio no matter which device type you need drivers for. e.g. chipset or core logic, storage controller, NIC, display drivers, et. al.

Typically, when using this 'update driver' method, it is best to use 'Let windows automatically locate the best driver' when its offered as an option (select the option to include sub-folders in the search), while also directing the Driver Wizard to the particular root folder where the driver files are located (i.e. narrow the search down a bit instead of permitting Windows to search the entire computer). But there may be times when this won't work and you may need to use the manual "have disk" method. Basically, this is where you opt-out of having Windows automatically locate the best driver and must point Windows to a particular INF file and manually select the correct device from a list of available choices. But this will be an exceptional case and I won't go into it unless you should have some problem with the more 'automatic' method.

Intel also provides similar instructions in the readme.txt file for most drivers. Here is the readme.txt file for the INF Chipset/Device Software Utility:

Reame.txt for INF Installation files (scroll down to section 9.F and 9.G)

The Rapid Storage Technology drivers for RAID or AHCI mode could be installed during OS setup (by selecting the option to provide third-party drivers) via Floppy or USB flash drive, or after OS installation:

Intel RST Drivers for Floppy or USB Install during OS Setup (32-bit)

Intel RST Drivers for Floppy or USB Install during OS Setup (64-bit)

Intel RST Drivers Post-Install Full Package for RAID or AHCI (all current Windows OS 32-bit and 64-bit)

The Floppy/USB package above could also be used post-setup, by extracting the files and using the same method above to update the storage drivers. Other onboard devices such as secondary (third-party) storage controllers, NIC or WiFi, USB3.0 controllers, and audio controllers are all manufacturing options that are going to vary with the make/model of motherboard - not too much to do with the chipset itself. There are too many such third-party device options to go into here so if you could provide the make/model motherboard, I could find out what those devices are.

Last edited:

ed29a

Mar 15, 2011
The drivers come from Intel and Intel doesn't support running Server 2008 on any of its mainstream consumer chipsets. So it doesn't matter which brand the H67 board comes from. You can manually install the drivers from Intel after extracting them from the installer executable or package, though, while Server 2008 and Windows Update should bring most of the drivers.

I am running Windows 2008 R2 on a Sandy Bridge laptop with NVidia graphics. Didn't had to make any specials steps to get drivers up and running. Every single driver, including Intel RST 10.0.something works out of the box.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I am running Windows 2008 R2 on a Sandy Bridge laptop with NVidia graphics. Didn't had to make any specials steps to get drivers up and running. Every single driver, including Intel RST 10.0.something works out of the box.
The understanding was that people were having problems getting the drivers to install using the executable, which has been a problem in the past. By all means, try to run the installer package first.

thomastau

Jun 1, 2011
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After spend a week finally get a workaround to install the Server2008 on H67 ASUS P8H67-M PRO.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I had the problem to install the RAID, and chip-set driver when install the Server2008. it returns the error said, Server2008 is not support this hardware..... I think INTEL make the drive not to support the desktop chip-sets. Since I already brought everything, I have to make this work.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Here is the hardware spec.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]INTEL i7 2600[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ASUS P8H67-M PRO[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]DDR3 RAM 4X4GB[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]5 HDD RUN RAID 5[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]FAX MODEM[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]First you need to have a computer which allow you to install the Server 2008, I used a Intel Core2 Quad Q9450, with G45 chip-set, 4GB ram.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]First install the server2008 64bit to that machine[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Install the H67 Motherboard drivers (chip-set, and raid)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Add “Windows Server Backup Features”[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Run the Backup to USB HDD.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Now you should have a copy of the server2008 with all the drivers installed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]On you i7 H67 Computer[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Put the windows 2008 install disk, select repaire your PC.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Load the chip-set and RAID drive (from your motherboard driver DVD)[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Select the server backup file from the USB HDD.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]After the computer restart, you can install all other programs (Intel HD Graphics , Intel Rapid Storage, USB 3.0, also the O.C. Software..........[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I hope this should save you some money and time.[/FONT]

forwill

Jun 9, 2011
Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my onboard NIC driver install reported that "no Intel ethernet device is on this system" when the sucker showed up in Device Manager needing a driver.
I've been building desktops for many years but am a total newb at servers and NAS builds. I picked the Intel DH67CL motherboard because it supports the i3 65W proc(with built in graphics), has "hardware raid" that supports RAID 5, has onboard Gb ethernet, and 14 USB2 ports.
I tried Freenas 8 but freeBSD doesn't seem to support this new hardware. I was way over my head so I decided to go with WHS 2011 64bit. Surely MS and Intel would play nice together, right? WRONG! I guess Intel is going back to It's "screw the customer...you'll use our products how WE wan't you to use them" days before AMD kicked their butts with the AthlonXP and they had to start giving customers what they want at a reasonable price.
Anyhow, as TCSenter says, the driver disk installer application was useless...it showed ZERO devices! So, with extreme Windows98 deja vu I started browsing for .inf files on the CD. Everything worked EXCEPT the onboard NIC. I'm thinking, this sucks...I can't have a server with no network now can I? THANKS Intel!!! The funny thing is, I installed a spare Intel Pro 1000 PCI NIC I had lying around and BAM!! WHS 2011 said yeaah halleluja and installed the driver for me. I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard POS NIC. I now have a nice headless home server with four 2T HDDs in RAID5 for total space of 5.588T. The server OS is loaded(from an external USB DVD drive) on an old 250 GB WD hooked up to the internal eSATA port. Anyhow, here's the build:
Intel DH67CL, Intel i3-2100, 8MB Gskill DDR3, and four 2T Samsung HD204UI drives.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
People, this is a non issue. Stop worrying and just do it.

1. Windows Server 2008 R2 is just the server version of Windows 7 x64. All drivers that work with with 64 bit Windows 7 will work with server 2008 R2 as well.
2. Likewise Server 2008 (x32 or x64) is driver compatible with Vista
4. Ditto server 2003 and Windows XP

You may have to manually install some of the drivers but it's no big deal.

Here is another tip: While doing an install of Windows 7 Enterprise x32 on a brand new Dell with an i5 2520m - which is sandy bridge too, it didn't recognize the Intel NIC during install either. A flash drive and another machine that was on the net to download the driver was all it took.

forwill

Jun 9, 2011
Ok, I finally got the onboard NIC to work. Manual install of the driver did not work but when I got to the dialog box with the choice to "pick your device from a list" I chose Intel and scrolled to the 82574L adapter. The typical warning about the driver maybe not working came up but I installed anyhow. The driver works fine so I removed the PCI NIC.
Intel specifically states on their site they have no intention of supporting WHS for this motherboard. If I would have purchased an Intel "server" motherboard I could have avoided some hassle but the build would have cost a couple hundred more dollars.
So far,so good...I rebuilt the RAID 5 array into 64kb blocks(originally built with 16kb blocks which gave me more space but was slow) which was the default and initialized the RAID 5 array using the Intel software. I then entered WHS Server Manager and changed the array into one large dynamic disc that totals 5.588 TB. Hopefully with this setup I'll be able to swap a failed HDD in the array without data loss but I've read many conflicting opinions about this.