Question H150i Elite LCD fan noise

Feb 5, 2011
Hi all,

Just got my new pc with the H150i Elite LCD installed, always previous had air cooled but thought I'd try AIO, thinking it would be quieter.

Not sure if this is normal, but there is a constant hum/low buzzing noise when set to quiet and balanced and sounds like a jet when under load.

Keen to keep the AIO if I can but need more silence, considering changing the fans to noctua, will this help? Any other ideas welcome.

Cheers

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
What you're hearing is either the fans or the impeller in the pump on the CPU end.

Swapping fans is pretty painless but, with the proper air cooler you could make the sound go away. I use a cheap $45 air cooler on a 12700K and slapped 2 x 120 Arctic PST PWM fans onto it and sit at +/- 3-5F of room temp and max out at 50-55C.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Most people using an AIO system find that the PUMP unit is VERY quiet and the only sounds come from the rad fans. Your post indicates the sounds are much worse when you speed up the PUMP, which actually might slow down the fans marginally. Excessive noise from a pump may well indicate that it has air trapped in it causing cavitation. There are ways to tilt the system around while operating to promote expelling the air from the pump. There also are good guidelines for how the pump and rad and hoses should be positioned in the case so that any air tends to move to a high spot OUT of the pump.

Feb 5, 2011
Many thanks for the reply, having turned off the fans it is definitely the pump, the buzzing/hum is driving me mad so will definitely RMA the unit.
Went into bios and was able to lower the cpu fan rom but this was only the fans so helped a bit but still unworkably annoying so will revert to air cooling.
System was custom built by Scan a few days ago and rad is top mounted so should mitigate air bubbles.
I have a 12600k on a Asus Maximus Hero with vengeance RAM, was worried about ram clearance on a air cooler, any suggestions as plan to overclock but would like super quiet. Cheers

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
This is the one I'm using - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FDXJV3M

The issue with AIO / WC in general is it's just a PITA to deal with overall. If you're not wearing headphones you'll be hearing the hum / grind / cavitation. Not to mention if you spring a leak *poof* goes your system.

Anyway.. I took the cooler above and slapped a couple of Arctic PWM PST 120's on either side to push/pull and max I hit is 55C. Mind you I'm not gaming but can peg the CPU with video transcoding from Plex. Not running a GPU in the system either which might heat things up further but, with some good fans it shouldn't be much of a problem. I use the 120/140's from Arctic there as well for cooling the case / MOBO. Over the noise of my laptop I never hear the tower nor when watching Plex.

Feb 5, 2011
Many thanks, the ram clearance is a key issue for me as at some point I will use all 4 dimm slots. Very limited DDR5 options atm so using Vengeance 5600 which are a bit tall.
Did you have any problems accessing the Dimms?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
No, because you put them in before you clamp down the cooler. I could probably get them out just by loosening the screws a bit I used graphite pads instead of paste so, it's easier maintenance if needed without having to clean and paste again.

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks all, checked pcpartpicker but says there is a disclaimer that ram clearance and cpu coolers are not currently checked.
This is the ram https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4k...6-gb-ddr5-5600-cl36-memory-cmk32gx5m2b5600c36

Would like to get 4 sticks of this installed eventually.

Happy to go with noctua as have had good experience with these previously. If I went for the NH-D15 (non s) and replaced the 2nd 140mm fan with a noctua 120mm fan would this give enough clearance?
Would like to overclock and keep it relatively silent under day to day tasks and at least quiet under heavy gaming / benchmarking.
The case is huge so could accommodate the fan acvording to pc part picker.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Regarding the Noctua NH-D15: if your main concern is access to RAM slots under one fan, as long as the stock fans do NOT actually interfere with your RAM units in their slot, access for changing them should NOT be an issue. As with many such units, the fans on this cooler are fastened on to their heatsink with simple wire springs. It is a simple matter to remove one fan from the heatsink temporarily, then replace it. You do NOT need to remove the entire heatsink system from the top of the CPU chip.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Hi all,

Just got my new pc with the H150i Elite LCD installed, always previous had air cooled but thought I'd try AIO, thinking it would be quieter.

Not sure if this is normal, but there is a constant hum/low buzzing noise when set to quiet and balanced and sounds like a jet when under load.

Keen to keep the AIO if I can but need more silence, considering changing the fans to noctua, will this help? Any other ideas welcome.

Cheers

I need a picture or as accurate of a documentation in how you setup the AIO.
If you set it up incorrectly, the head unit can run dry causing that rattling noise your hearing.

As people seem to misbelieve, AIO's have a designed location, and setup requirement otherwise you risk burning the pump out or getting poor performance, because the liquid is not being circulated properly.

Here is a good gamers nexus example of what i mean.