[H] Yet again say SLI is smoother than crossfire

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Honestly, this is a flawed example because Far Cry 3 stutters on single gpu's when you go below 60fps.

I've heard people with nvidia and AMD cards report this. Some shenanigans with the dunia engine. Even more reason why it needs to be tested across more games to get the full picture. I like they way they tested that though, but i would have preferred them side by side instead of separated and one on top of the other.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
The gtx 690 seemed to 'jump' more noticeably then the hd 7970 crossfire set.

That's lack of V-Sync, frame tearing not microstutter. Microstutter is when you are playing at say 40FPS, but it feels like 20FPS.

mablo

Sep 10, 2012
That is what I noticed as well. Can someone translate the text on the right side in the video?

My German is a little(very) rusty, but on the Nvidia side it reads something like:

A GTX 690 SLI runs in 2560x1440 pixels with only 40 fps and shows strong microstutter, which negatively affects "gamingfeel".

AMD is a little more difficult for me to translate, but it's something like that it runs at almost 60 fps and shows less microstutter.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
That's lack of V-Sync, frame tearing not microstutter. Microstutter is when you are playing at say 40FPS, but it feels like 20FPS.

That didn't look like tearing to me, there were frames that were dropped entirely. But like I said, in Far Cry 3 the game turns into a stuttering mess below 60fps no matter if you're using single gpu, or dual gpu and it doesn't care what brand you are using. It's a problem with the game engine that has been there since Far Cry 2.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
That didn't look like tearing to me, there were frames that were dropped entirely. But like I said, in Far Cry 3 the game turns into a stuttering mess below 60fps no matter if you're using single gpu, or dual gpu and it doesn't care what brand you are using. It's a problem with the game engine that has been there since Far Cry 2.

I'm playing it very smoothly at 30-45 fps on a 560TI.

To me it's clearly a V-sync, you can see the bottom part of the screen updating quicker than the top half.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
Using Far Cry 3 as an example of Micro Stutter is not a good indication of the problem. Far Cry 3 stutters due to a graphics engine issue, not hardware. I have seen people using SLI or CF with 120Hz monitors having to set <60 FPS in Far Cry 3 to remove stutters.

omeds

Dec 14, 2011
Neither of those videos have vsync enabled by the looks of it. That's not "mikro-ruckler", it's simply what 60hz looks like without vsync or high fps.. The 7970 system looks better because its pulling 60fps from what I can tell, almost in sync with a frame for every refresh.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
It would be nice if they offered the video, latency and frame-rate graphs, with subjective findings, too.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010

I subjectively felt the 7970 crossfire was quite a bit smoother. But, as we all know, this can't be the case:confused: Anyone noticed how German websites seem to be a little more ahead of the game and objective/impartial rather than relying on how they 'feel' about a certain manufacturer. I bet if it was top of the range cars they might differ a bit, strange huh:sneaky:. Maybe the dollar doesn't go that far. Arguing stuff like the game engine is at fault misses the point unless either vendors product show significant MS above a minimum of 60 fps. The 690 costs min £780 in UK and gives you stuttering mess compared to the super smooth £640 7970 crossfire GHZ solution in far cry 3. Shame all that advanced frame metering tech didn't 'smooth' it out.

Last edited:

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009
The 690 costs min £780 in UK and gives you stuttering mess compared to the super smooth £640 7970 crossfire GHZ solution in far cry 3. Shame all that advanced frame metering tech didn't 'smooth' it out.

Perhaps Keys will take up the cause to find out what's behind this scandal...in the name of fairness and balance of course.:colbert:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Guys you can't bring up a situation where the GTX 690 runs out of vram or something and then say that the AMD cards are "smoother". Microstutter is real, and it's widely accepted to be less noticeable with SLI setups.

I think we just need to give nVidia their credit where it is due and move on. The AMD cards are still great in other ways.

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007
Guys you can't bring up a situation where the GTX 690 runs out of vram or something and then say that the AMD cards are "smoother".

It's just my speculation and opinion that nVidia is using cheating drivers here to get better performance. We really should be in favor of more investigation of these sorts of issues. People are going to catch wind of what nV might be doing, so it should be addressed.

[/sarcasm]

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
It's just my speculation and opinion that nVidia is using cheating drivers here to get better performance. We really should be in favor of more investigation of these sorts of issues. People are going to catch wind of what nV might be doing, so it should be addressed.

[/sarcasm]

Heh, what you said had absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted from Sickbeast. Why did you quote him anyway?
And also, your sarcasm reminds me of the old guard on it's way out. Old stubborn ways that won't work anymore.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I think we just need to give nVidia their credit where it is due and move on. The AMD cards are still great in other ways.
That's not good enough. If things are indeed smoother on nVidia setups, AMD should do something to get a similar experience. AMD certainly shouldn't just "move on".

And also, your sarcasm reminds me of the old guard on it's way out. Old stubborn ways that won't work anymore.

:confused:

What does that mean? Old guard of what?

Last edited:

KCfromNC

Mar 17, 2007
Heh, what you said had absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted from Sickbeast. Why did you quote him anyway?

Because I was discussing my "theory" of why nv cards were performing the way they were on that hypothetical test. I'm just sharing my opinion, and it's just as valid as yours or anyone's, right? No different from claims that AMD's are performing better because of reduced image quality or higher variations in frame times, to pick two examples at random.

Add me to the list of people having no idea what this means. I guess maybe I'm supposed to be insulted or something, but it's so vague to be more meaningless more than insulting. Oh well, another one to add to the FUD marketing pile.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
That's not good enough. If things are indeed smoother on nVidia setups, AMD should do something to get a similar experience. AMD certainly shouldn't just "move on".

:confused:

What does that mean? Old guard of what?

His accusation that Nvidia is cheating with drivers was simply a retaliation to all the speculation of AMD drivers not quite right. Old guard was just me saying that this type of "retribution" is very old and tired.

If he is sincere, then I'd withdraw the comment, but in light of all the goings on here, it's appears just an immature comeback, like "I know you are but what am I" type stuff.