GW2 or Elder Scrolls Online?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
TOR peaked at 1.7m. They are down to 1.3m from the last earnings call.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
not much known, but ES online looks like more of the same, and very much not an ES game...so who cares.

GW2 is a very ungrindy, quite evolutionary, refreshingly difficult, and rather amazing MMO. It will be the only game I play for quite some time upon release.

And it does everything and more than every other MMO does (content and offerings wise), without a fee.

what's not to love?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
TOR peaked at 1.7m. They are down to 1.3m from the last earnings call.

Tons of those accounts that were given free playtime were also included in that 1.3m. How not so sleazy of EA.

As for GW2 vs ESO, the former is made by a company that clearly knows what to do to make MMOs innovative and fun again while the latter is an obvious low effort me-too cash grab. Do the math.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm interested on how that Guild Wars 2 loot system works. Reason being, I like the traditional system that when I'm by myself if I get the first hit on a monster I get everything from it.

you get your own loot for participating. what is not to like about that?

no random rolls and BS like that to determine who gets what.

crafting nodes are all individualized as well, throughout the world. you can see several people accessing one node at the same time.

what's not to like?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes i have played GW2 beta weekends.

1. Cascual Pve seems? You can do that in any mmo, literally name one? Wow you can just kill things and complete quests
2. Completely different combat?? Its still skills you use no matter how you fancy it up. Its not like its some magical system that changes from other MMO. Its like taking a rouge class and then giving those skills to a tank. Instead of pressing W to go forward press it twice to roll forward. OH HOW ORIGINAL. Yes, other MMO have did that.
3. Wvw like you mention DAOC did that 10+ years ago, as well as planetside1, Eve online, 3 games which did it better..yet so old.
4.Did you just say fulling balanced pvp setting in a beta game? enough said.
5. Lack of gear progression treadmill? Oh you mean ROG drops that other games did..yep gw2 has that as well. But don't forget..they throw in the same thing as other mmo have already abolished..CLASS specfic drops.

6 dynamic events? Are you freaking kidding me. Warhammer online *cough cough* It basically is a quest system for people who don't want to party up. color me the same batman.

GW2 is a pretty game, free, appeals to certain people. But don't you dare call it original. :p

where did you hear that GW2 is free?

:hmm:

and if you think the skill sets and classes are the same--I'e, tank/dps/heals--then you either did not play GW2, or played it very poorly, as this does not exist (unlike every other MMO out there). There is little actual casting, as skills can be activated on the fly, and they must be.

and correct me if I'm wrong, but DAoC is more like ~4 or 5 years old, not 10+

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
That's just active subscribers. Such significant loss of active player base looks really bad in first half-year. I'd wished them luck, but it's EA.

Pretty much every high profile subscription based MMO has trended the same way since WoW's release and domination of the 'willing to pay' demographic.

Also DAOC was released in 2001.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
where did you hear that GW2 is free?

:hmm:

and if you think the skill sets and classes are the same--I'e, tank/dps/heals--then you either did not play GW2, or played it very poorly, as this does not exist (unlike every other MMO out there). There is little actual casting, as skills can be activated on the fly, and they must be.

and correct me if I'm wrong, but DAoC is more like ~4 or 5 years old, not 10+

And sincerely, originality isn't in itself the end of all things.

Stuff can be original and bad or badly executed.

MMORPGs have quests, Shoots have you aiming guns and shoot at people, RTS have you controlling units (and most building them first), flight sims have people piloting planes, etc.

Still that doesn't make all shooters the same game or the flight sims all good or all bad.

Guild Wars 2 main original points are more related to no player fighting for resources in pve that allows easy teaming, a departure from the established trinity combat, how their servers work, down leveling, cutting big parcels of the grind (that they already done in GW1 as well).

Other stuff are evolutions from previously seen systems, but Anet is working on GW2 since 2007 and they were already toying with dynamic events then, to the point someone found the "centaur attacking the fort and conquering it" scenario on the original GW dat file.

Had Anet done like so many other studios and released a WoW clone with a single departure like dynamic events as it sell point, instead of all the changes, maybe they would have been released before games like Rift, Warhammer online or SWTOR.

It still is a fantasy MMORPG though.

Last edited: