(GURU3D RUMOR) AMD Polaris 10 GPU To Offer Near 980 Ti Performance For 299 USD?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Will kind of price/performance will AMD be offering this next round?

• The rumor is correct or close to correct. 980TI (or close) performance at or around $300

• The rumor is too optomistic. I expect less performance in that price range

• AMD will do better than the rumor suggests. I expect more performance in that price range

• My opinion is too sophisticated and complex for your noob poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
They will compete with Vega. You guys are acting like Polaris is the only thing AMD has. On their Roadmap, Vega falls into Q4 2016 and Q1 2017.

Please do not say "you guys" when quoting one of my posts. On AMD's roadmap, Vega will be competing with the 1080 in 2017, and no - HBM2 parts are not going to be competing with the GDDR5X parts coming out in a few months. I am a consumer, so I'm interested in what's coming out in a few months from the gaming perspective where, unfortunately, I'm not seeing how Polaris will compete (in absolute performance terms) with initial Pascal. I want it to, so I have more choice - that's the consumer's ideal scenario.

But you mentioning Vega? It seems to me that Vega will be going up against larger Pascal offerings next year. The largest Vega against the largest Pascal (Titan, consumer). The second largest Vega against the Ti version. Now, the refresh of AMD's product lineup seems more focused on perf/watt and potentially lower costs, which I don't understand to be easily possible given wafer cost increases that have been posted on these forums. Whereas Nvidia is going more for absolute performance - not focusing as much on perf/watt.

So, no. I am not "one of them" nor am I "in any camp", I want the fastest product I can buy this year given the build I want to do. And my questions are trying to figure out - for prudent planning purposes - where my money is going and how much of it I'm going to need to spend to build the best PC I can in the next few months. I hope that this clarifies the "you guys" comment.

renderstate

Apr 23, 2016
They will compete with Vega. You guys are acting like Polaris is the only thing AMD has. On their Roadmap, Vega falls into Q4 2016 and Q1 2017.
What you are really saying is that AMD will concede to NVIDIA a certain slice of the market for 6+ months (if the rumors we read so far are true). Polaris introduction should also give NVIDIA a better understanding of what they can expect from Vega and potentially allow them to prepare accordingly.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
That's not what I read on the Nvidia threads, GDDR5X is supposedly ready for their imminent May/June launch.

I'm guessing they have enough to use on the highest end card they release, but I doubt the entire stack gets GDDR5X.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
What you are really saying is that AMD will concede to NVIDIA a certain slice of the market for 6+ months (if the rumors we read so far are true). Polaris introduction should also give NVIDIA a better understanding of what they can expect from Vega and potentially allow them to prepare accordingly.

Yeah, they're totally going to take those GP100 chips back to the drawing board based on Polaris.

Feb 19, 2009

Correct.

AMD's mid-range and high-end VEGA is not ready. Pretty sure AMD made it very clear on their roadmap.

NV is going for the mid-range first, AMD going for entry & mainstream first.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
If this is confirmed, timing will be vital. I can see the GTX 1070 being 980/390X performance with a little on top.

If it's price relatively similar (say $330 ballpark) I can see the GTX 1070 eating the Polaris 10 user base if it launches first.

Hmm so same performance and same price all on a huge node jump. Great!

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
If this is confirmed, timing will be vital. I can see the GTX 1070 being 980/390X performance with a little on top.

If it's price relatively similar (say $330 ballpark) I can see the GTX 1070 eating the Polaris 10 user base if it launches first.

I thought that people were expecting the 1070 to be at least as good as the 980ti.

It also makes sense, as otherwise there will be a huge gap between the 1080 and 1070 (30%-40% at least).

Last edited:

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
Of course not, but there are many other ways to improve a product that don't require new HW (pricing included).

By that logic the early Pascal releases will give the same info to AMD for the Vega launch, making the whole 'who released what and when' a non factor.

In case this didn't get here yet:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-radeon-r9-480-perf-is-close-to-r9-390x.html

Looks like Polaris 10 will be like a 390x, which is like a 980. Holy moly.

Dear lord, the rumour mill is giving me seizures these days.

A 480 (non X) doing a 390X impression and Guru3D apparently deigned to inform us Polaris is replacing everything up to and including the 390X. At this rate, the 490X would be at 980ti superclocked levels.

They sure took more out of those OGL benches than I did.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
One model at least.

Can someone clarify Onscreen and Offscreen, as its a low slower in Offcreen?

Offscreen I don't think really matters to some extent. Looks like it's max fps too me. Not like any monitor could handle the insane fps in T-Rex for example. Probably advanced power management plays a role.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
What does that allow Nvidia to do? Pascal is already created.... Knowing Polaris helps a little but vega is a new chip with even better performance/watt it's a more improved design... Nvidia realistically has no idea what amd has planned for the high end while amd certainly can see what Nvidia does when they see pascal....

renderstate

Apr 23, 2016
By that logic the early Pascal releases will give the same info to AMD for the Vega launch, making the whole 'who released what and when' a non factor.

Perhaps, but unlike AMD, NVIDIA has not showed us a roadmap of future Pascal parts. Also getting to the market before your competitor is almost always a good thing.

At this time we just don't know how far apart in time NVIDIA and AMD parts are. I am surprised we haven't heard more about Polaris in the wild..

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Perhaps, but unlike AMD, NVIDIA has not showed us a roadmap of future Pascal parts. Also getting to the market before your competitor is almost always a good thing.

At this time we just don't know how far apart in time NVIDIA and AMD parts are. I am surprised we haven't heard more about Polaris in the wild..
It's still pascal the same gpu architecture that will be already out vs vega, a whole new and improved chip.
. Unless you're telling me future pascal parts will be revised for improved performance/watt. Got any evidence or that?

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007

AMD has really clamped down on leaks in the last few years. They've limited their card samples to required personnel only @ their AIBs. It used to be that just about anyone could get a pre-release card if you worked for an AIB.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
One model at least.

Can someone clarify Onscreen and Offscreen, as its a low slower in Offcreen?

The test was designed as a mobile benchmark. So on screen is displayed at whatever the native resolution of the display is with vsync turned on. Off screen is rendered at a set resolution (1080p if I'm not mistaken) and the built in display (on a mobile device) is not used.

In other words, on screen is meaningless in this comparison, you need to look at the off screen results where polaris trails significantly. Not sure what to draw from it though without any details of the test system/card.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

GTX 1070 should be close to or faster than GTX 980Ti. Im expecting faster in DX-12 games.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think the big chips are going to be a fun filled treat. Hopefully more than 2X performance increase from 980ti/furyX and OCability through the roof!

renderstate

Apr 23, 2016
It's still pascal the same gpu architecture that will be already out vs vega, a whole new and improved chip.
. Unless you're telling me future pascal parts will be revised for improved performance/watt. Got any evidence or that?

I am saying something so straightforward that I am not even sure it's worth arguing over it. Complex chips have a ton of tweakable parameters and features. Moreover software (as in drivers) evolve, improve and can be tweaked to address architectural deficiencies, especially if your competitors is much better at something that can hurt you. Console developers have proved this a million times.

GPUs are an ever changing combination of *HW and SW*. When a chip is taped out you fix the vast majority of its degrees of freedom, but there are still hundreds left to play with.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

HBM2 is a concrete example of perf/watt improvements, just as we saw with AMD last year. Even if the rest of the GPU stays the same, we can expect nice decreases there in power consumption and increase (or at least the same) in bandwidth.

I am sure more tweaks would be included, like how we saw the 6xx evolve into 7xx. Both were Kepler and there were some nice enhancements there in the 7-series. Plus, expect a more mature 16nm GPU process, which likely results in more efficient GPUs as well.

None of the items I listed above would be unique to NV. Same application for AMD...

Status
Not open for further replies.