(guru3d) Nvidia Pascal performance slide in the news

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Those are "ballpark" figures from an academic who gets his HBM and his HMC muddled up. Don't read too much into it. :)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If its true, were going to need a new Crysis I'm afraid, because that card can certainly play them all.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Those are "ballpark" figures from an academic who gets his HBM and his HMC muddled up. Don't read too much into it. :)

exactly. The minute I saw HMC being mentioned instead of HBM I knew these specs are not actual but more along the lines of what one could expect. GP100 Pascal is confirmed to use HBM2. I think Nvidia will definitely reveal more about GP100 at GTC 2016 in April.

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nv...double-precision-for-flagship-pascal-gpu.html

Twice as fast as a 980ti. That sounds about right for a true next gen card. That sounds like a big die product but it also sounds like a mid to late 2017 product. It should be timed nicely for Skylake-E I hope. What a glorious build that would be. Pair it with an OLED gaming panel for pixelgasm nirvana.

I've asked you this in other threads but didn't get a response:

(i) why would it sound mid to late 2017?
(ii) it's going to be paired with Broadwell-E - or do you expect Nvidia not to release a powerhouse graphics card in 2016?

On the OLED gaming panel...all I'm seeing is the Dell one for 4999 USD coming later this year. But I'm hopeful for some competition there.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I've asked you this in other threads but didn't get a response:

(i) why would it sound mid to late 2017?
(ii) it's going to be paired with Broadwell-E - or do you expect Nvidia not to release a powerhouse graphics card in 2016?

On the OLED gaming panel...all I'm seeing is the Dell one for 4999 USD coming later this year. But I'm hopeful for some competition there.

I say mid to late 2017 because I am expecting them to release a "high end" product first, but not the flagship. This really means that 2016 will be dominated by the mid range products. You might see a $1,000.00 Titan product though, but most gamers have learned their lessons there. We don't fall for it. We wait for the same product to release again at a lesser price.
I think the actual Pascal chip that is the successor to the 980ti will come in 2017 and will be released around the time the Skylake-E chips are released. I predict the GO-TO high end gamer build will be an 8 core skylake-E and dual flagship pascals, the 780ti/980ti flavor, not the 970/980 replacements. 970/980 replacements I expect this year.
OLED gaming panels are the stuff that hopes and dreams are made of. But in this world, hopes and dreams come to life pretty quickly, like, 2017-2018 kind of quickly IMO.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Nvidia will release a high end product first, but it won't be a flagship product. This means NVidia will actually release a mid range product and CHARGE us as if it were a high end product. I have no hope. You broke my spirit way to go.

Too funny.

Looks to be more like a page hit article to those of us that just use the old fashioned Force. :)

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You use the force? I use the force too. How did you know that was a thing for me? That's totally a thing for me. I say it all the time when wrecking people in BF4. WRECKING! WRECKING! WRECKING!

Piroko

Jan 10, 2013
PCGamesHardware mentioned that the slide was likely created in 04/2014.

Ujaldon (the creator) mentioning HMC would make sense if we take the time frame of early 2014 into account, back then HBM was far from a done deal.

Feb 19, 2009
Big Pascal should be ~2x Big Maxwell on flops. Full node transition gives them that opportunity.

They are going back to the 1/3 DP:SP ratio, so it should be a compute beast for HPC. 4Tflops DP should give them a lead compared to Intel's Xeon KL.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Big Pascal should be ~2x Big Maxwell on flops. Full node transition gives them that opportunity.

They are going back to the 1/3 DP:SP ratio, so it should be a compute beast for HPC. 4Tflops DP should give them a lead compared to Intel's Xeon KL.
Seriously 4 teraflops and going upto 12 teraflops in SP? What is the best that AMD's got on their pro cards? IIRC Fury does about 1 teraflop in DP and 5 in SP.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Seriously 4 teraflops and going upto 12 teraflops in SP? What is the best that AMD's got on their pro cards? IIRC Fury does about 1 teraflop in DP and 5 in SP.

Fury X does 8.6SP TLOPS, though only 0.5DP TFLOPS (1/16th SP). They never released a Fiji based one though. The largest FirePro they have is Hawaii based, and is 5.2TFLOPS SP and 2.6TFLOPS DP.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
$5K for a panel? What is it lined with, gold? ;)

As for being 'twice as fast' as a 980ti, I also heard it was a o/c'ers dream and comes with a fancy new sticker.

In all seriousness, people read way too much into what these "sources" say, or don't say.

Feb 19, 2009

Fury X is gimped for DP compute, much less than Hawaii and Tahiti even.

It does have over 8 Tflops SP. Similar to Titan X in that regards.

So it's a 8 > 12 Tflops SP gained, or potentially 50% raw gaming performance over Titan X, minus any other uarch changes that result in higher gaming perf.

We know paper specs of flops don't always translate to equivalent gaming perf though.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
It will struggle playing many current games at 4K rez.

By struggle, you mean it will be a completely useless piece of expensive crap? I fully agree. However two of them could do pretty decent at 4K with today's games, but not with tomorrow's games.
You see, two 980ti's can't manage 4K with today's games, but if Pascal is twice as fast, then that could do a good job. But some games that just came out, or that are coming out soon, only have steeper requirements, so in a year or two I expect the 4K situation to be the same, even with dual Pascals. It will suck. 4K is just too damn many pixels IMO and 3 or 4 GPU scaling is garbage.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The 1440p or wider variant, OLED high hz panels is where the rubber will meet the road. A larger 4K monitor would be great, just not so much for gaming.

I would love to sit on anandtech all day in OLED@4K.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
The 1440p or wider variant, OLED high hz panels is where the rubber will meet the road. A larger 4K monitor would be great, just not so much for gaming.

I would love to sit on anandtech all day in OLED@4K.

This man knows what's up. Just looking at text on my SP4 makes me happy.