[ Guru 3d ] AMD Teases PCs with Radeon Fury X2 Dual FIJI GPUs

KaRLiToS

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2010
SOURCE

Showtime ! AMD is starting some buzz on the web as PR managers have send out tweets indicating that they are using a dual Fiji based graphics card at the VRLA (Virtual Reality LA) convention. Yes that means aworking Radeon Fury X2 graphics cards.
The dual Fiji card will be seated into at least a prototype Falcon Northwest Tiki compact gaming desktop as well as HTC Vive HMD. Falcon Northwest already slipped that the dual-GPU Fiji based graphics card is very tiny and easily slips into a 4-inch thick Tiki.

index.php

293066-falcon-northwest-tiki-size.jpg

Last edited:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
I am more excited if they release a kickass sub $200 low profile fury that support tri monitors with maybe 1gb ram or even 512mb. There are millions of SFF/DT in the corp world looking for a good video card.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
This thing seems like it will only sell in boutique "VR ready" systems or something. the knowledgeable enthusiast knows that the timing is just all wrong and much too late for this product.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
This thing seems like it will only sell in boutique "VR ready" systems or something. the knowledgeable enthusiast knows that the timing is just all wrong and much too late for this product.

All depends on pricing but you're probably right.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
It was no secret that this was sooner or later coming out. However, the real BUZZ from AMD seems centered upon the Polaris chip. Dual Fiji will probably be a niche chip.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I don't think we're going to see a Polaris (or anything else) that will outperform dual Fiji anytime soon. We're probably a year away from that. That said, dual GPU cards are always a niche product.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Interesting update to this a few days ago from wccftech.
http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x2-12-tflop-compute-vrla-winter-expo/
According to Roy Taylor, Gemini should have 12TFLOPS of SP compute power. That's extremely low as a rating, since all the GCN versions (1.0-1.2) are rated at 2 SP FLOPS per shader per clock. If Gemini is a full 4096 shader part, that would imply a clock speed of only 732MHz. Dual 3584 shader Fiji Pro dies would be clocked at 837MHz for the same rating.

Something seems off on that; either the quote or statement was wrong, the cooling in the Tiki is extremely compromised, or they're referring to a real world benchmark that gets less than the theoretical compute performance.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Would be a scaling issue?

I'd personally think it's a power issue. I mean, they probably had to make some power trade offs for everything to fit into this thing:

What's the point in having a small form factor if you're power brick is the same size as the whole case? (Nintendo/Microsoft - I'm talking to you guys too).

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Would be a scaling issue?

I'd personally think it's a power issue. I mean, they probably had to make some power trade offs for everything to fit into this thing:

What's the point in having a small form factor if you're power brick is the same size as the whole case? (Nintendo/Microsoft - I'm talking to you guys too).

750W SFX PSU, more than enough for 300-400W GPU + the rest of the system.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/legacy.php?pid=447&area=en&model=ST75F-GS (V1.X)&tno=2

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Is that the PSU used in the Tiki? If so, then clearly power isn't the issue. Guess its thermal?

The according to the Tiki page they have a Silverstone 450W or 600W PSU option and you can't select 750W, but then the Gemini one could be custom. You shouldn't need to though, you'll be thermal limited in that thing long before you'd be power limited with a 600W supply.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Something is really off in this... Is weaker than expecting... Maybe it can be OCed?

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Dual gpu cards suck. I should know since I've owned almost every one since the 9800X2. Yes, from both companies. I'm going single gpu from now on and that's why I sold one of my Titan X cards.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Is that the PSU used in the Tiki? If so, then clearly power isn't the issue. Guess its thermal?

Current TIKI design uses a 600W modular Silverstone PSU, but they could use a bigger PSU if hey need to like the 750W above.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
The according to the Tiki page they have a Silverstone 450W or 600W PSU option and you can't select 750W, but then the Gemini one could be custom. You shouldn't need to though, you'll be thermal limited in that thing long before you'd be power limited with a 600W supply.

@600W that should cover FijiX2 more so if the article recently linked is accurate and it's a 375W card.

So it's look like it's thermals.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Dual gpu cards suck. I should know since I've owned almost every one since the 9800X2. Yes, from both companies. I'm going single gpu from now on and that's why I sold one of my Titan X cards.

Dual GPUs are required for VR. No single card on the market can come anywhere close to running a VR setup well.

And AMD's current setup is really quite good. Easily the best out there.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Dual GPUs are required for VR. No single card on the market can come anywhere close to running a VR setup well.

And AMD's current setup is really quite good. Easily the best out there.

I think you may be getting ahead of yourself.

Palmer Luckey uses a 970 on his system so he experiences what the majority of oculus users will experience. I expect any medium to large VR game in the next year or two to be able to run on a 970 without dropping below 90 fps.

There may be some graphical settings you can bump up with a more powerful card, but dual GPU seems like complete overkill for at least the first few years of VR. Most won't even be using DX12, let alone LiquidVR.

Here's something I just found on AMD's VR page while trying to learn more..

"For in-depth technical details on LiquidVR, go to http://developer.amd.com/liquid-vr/ "