Gunowners - would you "give up" your guns under federal law?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Would you turn in your firearms?

• Yes, I would turn them in

• No, over my dead body

• I don't own any firearms

Results are only viewable after voting.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
It is your right and duty to stand against and fight an unconstitutional law that would violate your freedoms... Could go very badly for you, but you would have moral justification.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
20% hand gun?

Yes!

No, what he means is that 80% lowers, aka AR-15 lowers that are just the raw casts without any machining done for the magwell or any of the detents or fire control mechanisms, etc. These are not considered firearms at time of sale are not sold via FFLs. The end user must complete, hence the remaining 20%, of the work to create a functioning lower and is never required to register or notify anyone of completion.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I just do whats just. worked well for me in 40 years of life. never been arrested or in a civil suit.

IMO self defense right is a just right...so prolly nott...i wouldn't flaunt em or anything like these nuts at super markets but I preserve my rights.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yes!

No, what he means is that 80% lowers, aka AR-15 lowers that are just the raw casts without any machining done for the magwell or any of the detents or fire control mechanisms, etc. These are not considered firearms at time of sale are not sold via FFLs. The end user must complete, hence the remaining 20%, of the work to create a functioning lower and is never required to register or notify anyone of completion.
Thanks.

Smart @#!*% / 80/20 is way too much of a percentage for rifles.

/smartass

Edit: Zebo, you O.K. Been posting crazy for a while.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
orly whys that u say? cant just throw aspersions w/o explains you axe murderer.:p

btw i have 3 teens so that may explain everything.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I'm kinda curious, maybe we can have a gun forum called something like "The Range" and park it next to "The Garage" to keep so many gun threads from flooding ATP&N. Just a thought.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I'm kinda curious, maybe we can have a gun forum called something like "The Range" and park it next to "The Garage" to keep so many gun threads from flooding ATP&N. Just a thought.

I'd be all for it, but we had to wait until a freaking software upgrade to get The Garage, L&R, and H&F.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Actually a good idea. P&N has become a gun forum, but even before Sandy Hook there were often a lot of gun threads.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
NRA Winning the Influence Battle Over Gun Control

It’s a Marathon, not a sprint. It seems the NRA has the stamina to out-run the pro-gun control movement. They are persistent, un-yielding and gaining influence. It will be interesting to see how the pro-gun control voice responds and how the influence between the two groups changes as the debate persists.

The pro-gun rights voice is rapidly gaining influence while the pro-gun control voice has tapered in recent weeks. Momentum is shifting and the gun control debate is becoming a platform benefiting gun rights advocates.

The pro–gun control group is fragmented whereas the pro-gun rights voice is united and strong. Of the top influencers on the pro-gun rights side, the majority of the most prominent voices are from the NRA. The pro-gun control voice is split between Obama and several gun control advocacy groups which dilutes the message.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucero...inning-the-influence-battle-over-gun-control/

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
No, but that's because they were all lost in a boating accident. Pops told me it was a bad idea to take AK's, AR's and MAC10 and a couple pistols boating, but I never listen.

ah man... ME TOO... amazing coincidence. tragic to loose so many arms in a boating mishap.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Why do newbs need to troll?

It's like the liars that claim the NRA used to be supportive of a "Universal Background Check". They've never, NEVER, approved of it. What they were supportive of is an "Instant background checks at gun shows". It's just that a few media outlets and ignorant liars have tried to change what the NRA said and it isn't true. The NRA not only has to fight to protect the 2nd Amendment they have to protect what they say from the liars and cowardsthat oppose them.

The anti-gun stooges have coined a new term "universal background checks" and then try to claim the NRA supported them in the past, it's dishonest, the NRA has never supported "universal background checks", they support instant background checks at gunshows, just as they support them at gun stores and pawn shops.

Last edited:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This can be done without registration, such as with an ID (look up FOID). Strange that it's done in Illinois, but I think it's a good way to handle it.

Somewhat true, assuming the S/N is still there.
http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-68696.html
It really is that cheap.
Not initially. It would only make them significantly more difficult for future attempts, after a weapon were tracked to a given straw purchaser.
Again, this can be done without registering the weapon. In addition, quite a few states give cards for pistol permits, and almost all, if not all, have cards for CCW. No weapon registration needed, or useful.

The biggest problem with 1-4 is the reality that it still allows illegally obtained weapons to slip through the cracks just as without any such registration, while adding frustrations for upstanding citizens and legal residents.

Provided the restrictions were reasonable, and there was an affordable method to appeal long-ago legit rights removals, and mistakes, I'm pretty sure only the very fringe would object to registering persons as fit, provided that the permit would be must-issue, provided a little safety and shooting training, and without explicit reason to not issue (IE, they would need to have a reason to refuse it, have a deadline for issue or refusal, and those reasons would involve addiction, psychoactive meds, doctor recommendations, or violent crimes only, and that refusal could be reasonably appealed).
That it has been done, and we know there are members of Congress who would like to make it happen across the U.S..
Sure, but it'd be a whole lot easier all-around for said rulers not to have that information edge.

The big problem is that it's not a slippery slope. NY's new law, while I hope it gets struck down, was a result of backdoor deals by Coumo and friends, and Coumo has actually said that he considers confiscation a valid option. Feinstein, likewise, was dumb enough to say similar things, many years ago. Others are good enough at deflecting that we know they aren't pro-2nd, but don't know how far they'd be willing to go. It's unlikely to happen, but if there isn't vigilance about it, it very well could.

You make some very good points.

As to the politics of it I think getting ahead of the curve and proposing gun control laws that would be acceptable would work better than appearing to be completely unwilling to consider any changes.

Becasue the public doesn't think what happened at Sandy Hook is acceptable.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You make some very good points.

As to the politics of it I think getting ahead of the curve and proposing gun control laws that would be acceptable would work better than appearing to be completely unwilling to consider any changes.

Becasue the public doesn't think what happened at Sandy Hook is acceptable.

The problem is the grabbers don't want to compromise. They want to take freedoms away, and are unwilling to even consider granting some back.

I've said in other threads, if there were a hobbyist FFL that allowed me to buy modern guns over the Internet and have them shipped, I'd be willing to give a lot. Registration, secure storage, inspections, utilizing NICS. Same with opening the title 3 registry.

The problem is the left doesn't want to make guns safer, they believe that is a logical fallacy. They want to pair back both the number and type of guns owned.