Gun toting soccer mom and husband dead in apparent murder/suicide

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Sclamoz

I sometimes think that people are scared of seeing guns on people in situations like this because the person carrying them might be a maniac capable of murder, you know?

Well I still say if they feel that way that is their own irrational fear. A fear born mostly out of not being around firearms or knowing the rules of safety. A person legally carrying generally cherishes that right and has no motivation whatsoever to have it taken away (like committing a crime).

I will tend to stay close to somebody carrying if I'm not (I rarely do) and make friends with them. I still think it boils down to an irrational fear of firearms.

when a normal person sees someone walking around with a gun they (rightfully) expect the worst.

Proof/support? Threshold of 'normal'? Proof of 'rightfully'?

None. Since statistically they should NOT have an expectation of 'the worst' your statement is flawed.

really?

lets ignore the facts and evidence for now, and use a little game theory here.

now someone shows up with a gun you can either be concerned, or not be concerned, and the person can either be peaceful or not.

in the instance where you are concerned, the gunman is either peaceful, in which case you are fine, or not peaceful, in which case you are clearly better off being concerned.

In the case where you are not concerned, the gunman is either peaceful, in which case you are fine (equal result) or not peaceful, in which case you are worse off.

clearly the optimal strategy is to be concerned.

considering the sorts of attitudes many parent bring to their children's sport events (unbridled rage) and our nations foundness for gun violence, they should statistically be concerned as well, they should be vigilant, especially since the price of not being vigilant is potentially death.

finally, judging by the communities response, bringing a gun to a childrens sporting event is not consistent with the expectations of the community.

Game theory is a philosophical/psychological exercise with no real world direct application, but ok, I'll bite this one time.
game theory is a model of modeling decision making in economics, and has many real world applications in finance and politics. Not sure what world you're living in.

the rest of your post is inane and twisted logic.

Since economics is itself a theory based illusion, you have supported my point.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006
Originally posted by: inspire
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
You actually think it's a good idea to not only bring a gun to a kids soccer game, but to also have it visible?

In lots of cases, I would say so - only because many states don't allow CCW. If CCW were legal in all 50 states, I'd be happy to say - if you're going to carry to these types of events, then keep it covered.

By many you mean 2? Or do you mean how several of the 'may-issue' states actually don't grant any number of permits?

Kind of both - I live in IL, and i dind't realize that only it & WI will not issue.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: shira
Originally posted by: NeoV
you don't think the site of a woman, not in a police uniform - sporting a gun on her hip might cause some reactions AT A CHILDREN'S SOCCER GAME?

do you think - I don't know, I'm going out on a limb here - do you think it's possible it might - just might - alert or even scare a child or two? Is that really out of the realm of possible outcomes for you? Is that not, gasp - a possible normal reaction?

That's the parent's fault for the irrational fear of a gun.

It's not the "irrational fear of a gun." It's the very rational fear of (1) a non-law-enforcement, non-military individual whose psychological state and intentions we don't know (2) carrying a deadly weapon (3) at a venue for children (4) where no one has ever seen a gun-carrying private citizen before.

If you cannot acknowledge that it is entirely rational to feel fear under these circumstances, then you are either (a) a sociopath, (b) amazingly stupid, (c) lying, or (d) some combination of the foregoing.

And again, that is simply an irrational fear that has no basis in rational thought. Why are you so scared of seeing guns in the possession of "non law enforcement"? How often do you see somebody carrying? I guess not much because I'm pretty used to it and don't have some kind of irrational fear of seeing a weapon.

because normally when someone brings a gun to a soccer game, or similar event, they aren't there for peaceful means. This is reality, and they are certainly not being irrational.

I love how much you live up to your name.

Please provide ANY evidence to support your statements. Oh, you can't, because you're 100% wrong. About 12,000,000 people in America carry a concealed weapon legally to soccer games and everywhere else they're allowed. Another big group carries them them illegally to these places, but not with any intent to cause harm. Therefore 'normally' when someone bring a gun anywhere, they ARE there for peaceful means.

May 16, 2000

because normally when someone brings a gun to a soccer game, or similar even, they aren't there for peaceful means. This is reality, and they are certainly not being irrational.

I just can't see that kind of mentality to where that's what you truly believe. It's completely irrational and not based in reality. It makes no sense whatsoever. This is what I was talking about regarding irrational fear - it's a fear not based in reality, but self induced fear.

How is it irrational? When people bring guns to places like this, they do it to shoot people. What is there that you don't understand here?

You have the IQ of a fucking kumquat. How can you even type?

Concealed carry = legal in 48 states, some for up to 40ish years. Obviously you're EXACTLY wrong and basically everyone KNOWS AND ACCEPTS THAT. That's what's hard to understand...how you don't seem to get that.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: VashHT
You know the funny thing about threads like this is people on both sides are just concerned for their own safety. The people carrying are doing it to protect themselves from possible attack, the people concerned with other people carrying know that IF someone with a gun attacked them they would be next to helpless since they do not have a gun. In the end both sides are assuming something bad COULD happen to them, and I find it hilarious how both sides call the other irrational for their concerns.

Because those of us with guns have the facts, statistics, and studies on our sides. That makes our views on the subject the rational ones.

Holding an opinion in direct opposition to observable facts is irrational. Period.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Police say husband killed her. And he did it WHILE SHE WAS ON A WEB CAM with a friend. Friend saw hubby shoot her. :(

http://www.google.com/hostedne...nKtV43aJPDpugD9B7P0780

"He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hains, called 911."

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Deeko
I haven't read much of the thread. I seem to recall the sheriff took away her CCP initially because it was deemed she wasn't mentally fit for it, or something like that?

Looks like he was right?

He took away her CPL because he claimed she showed poor judgment by open carrying there. It was a shady attempt to fit the statutory requirements for license revocation, though to be fair the PA law is INCREDIBLY subjective about that. She appealed in court and won, with the courts stating she did not show questionable character or intent to harm as required under the law.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
You actually think it's a good idea to not only bring a gun to a kids soccer game, but to also have it visible?

In lots of cases, I would say so - only because many states don't allow CCW. If CCW were legal in all 50 states, I'd be happy to say - if you're going to carry to these types of events, then keep it covered.

By many you mean 2? Or do you mean how several of the 'may-issue' states actually don't grant any number of permits?

Kind of both - I live in IL, and i dind't realize that only it & WI will not issue.

Yup, only 2 give nothing. About 8-10 of the others will almost never issue though, so it's equivalent to about 10 no-issue.

May 16, 2000
Police say husband killed her. And he did it WHILE SHE WAS ON A WEB CAM with a friend. Friend saw hubby shoot her. :(

"He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hains, called 911."

Ok, well then this was just a horrible coincidence. While it's still tragic, I'm kind of glad it wasn't a result of what she went through. I guess this more or less makes the thread moot.

Feb 10, 2000

How is it irrational? When people bring guns to places like this, they do it to shoot people. What is there that you don't understand here?

Concealed carry = legal in 48 states, some for up to 40ish years. Obviously you're EXACTLY wrong and basically everyone KNOWS AND ACCEPTS THAT. That's what's hard to understand...how you don't seem to get that.

The fact that CC is legal in many places (in most of them it is quite a recent development) does nothing to disprove what Mike said, unless you can somehow demonstrate that people frequently carry weapons to children's soccer games - I have no idea how you'd generate that data. Moreover, there are a significant number of "may issue" states that make it very difficult to get a CC permit (e.g., NY and CA), all of which you have listed among your 48.

imported_inspire

Jun 29, 2006

Jesus - the guy was a parole officer too - he worked for the cops. Not that it will bring anyone back, but I wonder why he did it...

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
you don't think the site of a woman, not in a police uniform - sporting a gun on her hip might cause some reactions AT A CHILDREN'S SOCCER GAME?

do you think - I don't know, I'm going out on a limb here - do you think it's possible it might - just might - alert or even scare a child or two? Is that really out of the realm of possible outcomes for you? Is that not, gasp - a possible normal reaction?

It's not the "irrational fear of a gun." It's the very rational fear of (1) a non-law-enforcement, non-military individual whose psychological state and intentions we don't know (2) carrying a deadly weapon (3) at a venue for children (4) where no one has ever seen a gun-carrying private citizen before.

If you cannot acknowledge that it is entirely rational to feel fear under these circumstances, then you are either (a) a sociopath, (b) amazingly stupid, (c) lying, or (d) some combination of the foregoing.

1) No one knows her background when they see her and complain...she could be LEO, could be ex-military, or anything else. Furthermore we know from studies that LEOs have a higher rate of criminal action (including gun crimes) than do citizens who obtain weapon permits, so again your point is incorrect.

You're missing the point: We all see people in uniform packing sidearms. We're accustomed to it. And most of us have never had a scary interaction with such people. Such people aren't "strangers." Their uniform "marks" them as safe and trustworthy. So we feel safe.

Most of us NEVER see private citizens with sidearms. So a stranger packing a sidearm is scary. Stories of Columbine and Virginia Tech still haunt our psyche's, and those incidents involved private citizens with guns, not soldiers or the police.

Your bolded point is completely irrelevant: We don't know that the private citizen we see with a gun has a permit. And we can't read their minds. What we DO know is that police and the military as a group commit far fewer murders each year overall than private citizens as a group.

So YOUR point is fail.

2) I can kill you quite easily with my drivers license, or nearly anything else for that matter. EVERYTHING is deadly if used with that intent. Firearms, while capable of inflicting harm and death, do not do so without someone providing the intent.

What YOU can do with non-guns is irrelevant. The vast, vast majority of people can kill MUCH more easily with a gun than with any other implement. So when we see someone WITH a gun, the clear potential is there for that person to kill someone. When no gun is there, the potential is VERY likely absent.

I see a 10-year-old with a sidearm, I know he can kill me in seconds. I see a 10-year-old without a sidearm, it's overwhelmingly likely he can't kill me at all and the thought wouldn't even enter my mind.

Your point is fail.

3) Crimes happen everywhere, including at venues for children. Perhaps you've heard of school shootings?

School shootings require guns. Shootings at kids' soccer venues require guns. If someone has a gun at a kids' soccer venue, a shooting is possible. If no one has a gun at the soccer game, no shooting is possible.

Your point is fail.

4) I have carried guns at such things, I know many many people who carry guns at such things, I have seen guns at similar (though not exactly the same) things, so your point is disproved.

I never have. I venture to state that almost none of us ever has. That's why this woman with her gun at the soccer game was news. So for almost all of us, a private citizen showing up with a sidearm at a kids' event would be a unique event.

Your point is fail.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
You know the funny thing about threads like this is people on both sides are just concerned for their own safety. The people carrying are doing it to protect themselves from possible attack, the people concerned with other people carrying know that IF someone with a gun attacked them they would be next to helpless since they do not have a gun. In the end both sides are assuming something bad COULD happen to them, and I find it hilarious how both sides call the other irrational for their concerns.

Because those of us with guns have the facts, statistics, and studies on our sides. That makes our views on the subject the rational ones.

Holding an opinion in direct opposition to observable facts is irrational. Period.

I don't see how statistics matter when it comes to my post at all, you'd have to show that guns can't hurt people in order to disprove my point. If you want to take chances with your life be my guest, but I certainly wouldn't ignore the fact that there is a single armed person in a crowd full of unarmed individuals. I wouldn't try to disarm or call the authorities on them, but I definitely would not be ignorant of the situation around me.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

The fact that CC is legal in many places (in most of them it is quite a recent development) does nothing to disprove what Mike said, unless you can somehow demonstrate that people frequently carry weapons to children's soccer games - I have no idea how you'd generate that data. Moreover, there are a significant number of "may issue" states that make it very difficult to get a CC permit (e.g., NY and CA), all of which you have listed among your 48.

None of which changes the fact that there have been millions upon millions upon millions of people carrying their weapons everywhere they go for four decades, largely without incident. That obviously includes kids sporting events since people who carry often just carry everywhere (that IS kind of the point after all).

NO WHERE do people ONLY or even PRIMARILY 'bring guns just to shoot people'. To even suggest it is to declare yourself so totally ignorant and incompetent as to nullify any future impact of your opinions whatsoever.

May 16, 2000

I don't see how statistics matter when it comes to my post at all, you'd have to show that guns can't hurt people in order to disprove my point. If you want to take chances with your life be my guest, but I certainly wouldn't ignore the fact that there is a single armed person in a crowd full of unarmed individuals. I wouldn't try to disarm or call the authorities on them, but I definitely would not be ignorant of the situation around me.

In order to be rational a fear must be of something that isn't only a physical possibility, but a statistical probability. Knowing that lawfully carried weapons are not a statistically significant factor in being harmed, but ARE a significant factor in the prevention of harm, only side of the argument is rational.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
prince of wands just compared his drivers license to a gun in it's ability to be a deadly weapon

/thread

May 16, 2000

1) No one knows her background when they see her and complain...she could be LEO, could be ex-military, or anything else. Furthermore we know from studies that LEOs have a higher rate of criminal action (including gun crimes) than do citizens who obtain weapon permits, so again your point is incorrect.

You're missing the point: We all see people in uniform packing sidearms. We're accustomed to it. And most of us have never had a scary interaction with such people. Such people aren't "strangers." Their uniform "marks" them as safe and trustworthy. So we feel safe.

Most of us NEVER see private citizens with sidearms. So a stranger packing a sidearm is scary. Stories of Columbine and Virginia Tech still haunt our psyche's, and those incidents involved private citizens with guns, not soldiers or the police.

Your bolded point is completely irrelevant: We don't know that the private citizen we see with a gun has a permit. And we can't read their minds. What we DO know is that police and the military as a group commit far fewer murders each year overall than private citizens as a group.

So YOUR point is fail.

2) I can kill you quite easily with my drivers license, or nearly anything else for that matter. EVERYTHING is deadly if used with that intent. Firearms, while capable of inflicting harm and death, do not do so without someone providing the intent.

What YOU can do with non-guns is irrelevant. The vast, vast majority of people can kill MUCH more easily with a gun than with any other implement. So when we see someone WITH a gun, the clear potential is there for that person to kill someone. When no gun is there, the potential is VERY likely absent.

I see a 10-year-old with a sidearm, I know he can kill me in seconds. I see a 10-year-old without a sidearm, it's overwhelmingly likely he can't kill me at all and the thought wouldn't even enter my mind.

Your point is fail.

3) Crimes happen everywhere, including at venues for children. Perhaps you've heard of school shootings?

School shootings require guns. Shootings at kids' soccer venues require guns. If someone has a gun at a kids' soccer venue, a shooting is possible. If no one has a gun at the soccer game, no shooting is possible.

Your point is fail.

4) I have carried guns at such things, I know many many people who carry guns at such things, I have seen guns at similar (though not exactly the same) things, so your point is disproved.

I never have. I venture to state that almost none of us ever has. That's why this woman with her gun at the soccer game was news. So for almost all of us, a private citizen showing up with a sidearm at a kids' event would be a unique event.

Your point is fail.

It's scary to you, and to other ignorant and irrational people. The fear is from inside you, NOT from what it is you're seeing. Adults with functional minds are able to reach logical conclusions about such things and overcome initial emotional reactions.

You don't KNOW that the person in uniform is a cop or a soldier. You ASSUME they are. In other words, you don't THINK about the situation.

It's not because of special training (although yes, I did actually get taught that particular trick). Anyone who thought about it for 30 seconds could figure out how to kill you with a folding chair, a stick, a pencil, etc.

Just because you don't 'see' it doesn't mean it isn't there. The exact same potential exists rather you are aware of it or not. Therefore, it's not that you're safer, it's that you're assuming you're safer. In other words, again no thinking involved.

No shit it requires guns little beaver. So KNOWING that people show up to places where kids congregate in order to kill them it gives an immediate logical reason for carrying a defensive weapon there. Nothing about this, or any other act of gun control, prevents a criminal from showing up at an event and opening fire. ONLY an action such of this gives ANY hope of stopping the slaughter prematurely.

As I stated before, you cannot make the claim that 'that' is why this was news. There are a number of very reasonable possibilities. I can guarantee you that any number of people who haven't lived their entire lives in a major urban area have seen people with guns at random various places, including kids sporting events. Is it most? Probably not, but it's close enough as to render your point invalid.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

None of which changes the fact that there have been millions upon millions upon millions of people carrying their weapons everywhere they go for four decades, largely without incident. That obviously includes kids sporting events since people who carry often just carry everywhere (that IS kind of the point after all).

NO WHERE do people ONLY or even PRIMARILY 'bring guns just to shoot people'. To even suggest it is to declare yourself so totally ignorant and incompetent as to nullify any future impact of your opinions whatsoever.

Actually if you are carrying a gun around in your normal day to day activities then you are carrying it to shoot someone should the opportunity arise. Guns only serve a single purpose, they are a weapon. You would only carry a weapon if you had the mentality that you might want/need to use it. You do not draw a gun on someone if you do not intend to kill that person and you do not carry a gun if you do not think you might want to draw it. Therefore if you carry a weapon around then you think you might need to use it. If you carry a weapon and don't think you might need to use it you are just plain weird.

I would treat a person openly carrying a gun the same way I'd treat a person with a katana strapped to their back or carrying a compound bow and set of hunting arrows. Like a person I do not know carrying a weapon.

The key here isn't that they are carrying something deadly it is that they are carrying something whose only purpose is to be deadly.

And as has been mentioned legally being allowed to do something does not free you from being criticized for it.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002

Perhaps some people do, but they are mistaken and IMO it is wrong to blindly trust authorities.

I was pulled over once and questioned by the officer, typical BS questions like where are you going, where do you work, etc mostly done to gauge my response to see if I'm on alcohol or drugs and whatnot. I responded with "I'm sorry officer, I dont tell random strangers about my personal business." He was kind of taken aback by response but he was professional about it and we finished up, I ended up leaving with a warnng (I was probably helped by the fact that I had a concealed handgun license).

The point of the matter is that police officers and the like are strangers if you dont know them personally, they are individuals with their own thoughts and faults, and IMO I dont treat them any different than any other person simply because they have a badge and a gun. Yet some people think these are the only strangers that should be allowed a gun, which I feel is stupid.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Jesus - the guy was a parole officer too - he worked for the cops. Not that it will bring anyone back, but I wonder why he did it...

There were separating/divorcing. The leading cause of a murder suicide.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Your point is fail.

Not unique to most people, just to you. You may live in one of the funny states that don't allow open or concealed carry. It's really not as big a deal as you're making it out to be. And you feeling uncomfortable is still your problem/fear.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

Your point is fail.

Not unique to most people, just to you. You may live in one of the funny states that don't allow open or concealed carry. It's really not as big a deal as you're making it out to be. And you feeling uncomfortable is still your problem/fear.

I've been to my fair share of childrens' sporting even and in no way, shape, or form would openly carrying a firearm be considered normal.

There's a reason why you nuts got CC, because the rest of the world kept calling the cops on you when you carried in public.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Ironic that owning a gun didn't prevent her from being killed by one...in her own home...by her husband...:(

Just goes to show you, you can't always trust people no matter how well you think you may know them. Which is EXACTLY the reason I don't want strangers wearing guns at a place where children, MY CHILDREN, are gathered to play soccer.

I don't know you from Adam so why should I automatically trust you because you don't have a criminal background and some government agency gave you a permit to carry a gun?

I'm not in the habit of blindly trusting people I don't know. I don't generally distrust them but I'm usually on fairly equal footing with most people I meet and I generally give most people the benefit of the doubt. Now, you give that person a gun and immediately it puts me on the defensive, I start thinking of what if scenarios...having a child will do that to you. Honestly, I'd rather avoid that altogether.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
prince of wands just compared his drivers license to a gun in it's ability to be a deadly weapon

/thread

And yet the laws in his state allow him to carry both. :shocked: