Gun toting soccer mom and husband dead in apparent murder/suicide

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sclamoz

Sep 9, 2009
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: inspire
Police say husband killed her. And he did it WHILE SHE WAS ON A WEB CAM with a friend. Friend saw hubby shoot her. :(

http://www.google.com/hostedne...nKtV43aJPDpugD9B7P0780

"He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hains, called 911."

Jesus - the guy was a parole officer too - he worked for the cops. Not that it will bring anyone back, but I wonder why he did it...

There were separating/divorcing. The leading cause of a murder suicide.

Really? I was thinking it would be referees or angry parents based on how rational people feel the need to arm themselves to watch kids play a sport.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume that the gun rights loons will drop this thread like a bad habit because this story no longer supports their agenda in any way shape or form.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I'm going to go out on a limb here and just assume that the gun rights loons will drop this thread like a bad habit because this story no longer supports their agenda in any way shape or form.

I don't think so. Now they have to argue that guns had nothing to do with this guy shooting and killing his wife and then himself.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002

What are you talking about?

A women was murdered by her husband, unfortunately it happens too often, do you think women shouldnt have the right to keep and bear arms?

Unfortunately it didnt help in this particular situation, but everyone is different.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Someone was murdered by a law enforcement official. This is the kind of thing us gun rights loons run with.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor

Someone was murdered by a law enforcement official. This is the kind of thing us gun rights loons run with.

No, she was murdered by her husband.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

I don't think so. Now they have to argue that guns had nothing to do with this guy shooting and killing his wife and then himself.

And they also have to argue that the woman's gun protected her.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Police say husband killed her. And he did it WHILE SHE WAS ON A WEB CAM with a friend. Friend saw hubby shoot her. :(

"He "observed Scott Hain standing over where Meleanie was and discharging a handgun several times," Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said at a news conference. The man, who was described as a friend of both Scott and Meleanie Hains, called 911."

Ironic that owning a gun didn't prevent her from being killed by one...in her own home...by her husband...:(

Just goes to show you, you can't always trust people no matter how well you think you may know them. Which is EXACTLY the reason I don't want strangers wearing guns at a place where children, MY CHILDREN, are gathered to play soccer.

I don't know you from Adam so why should I automatically trust you because you don't have a criminal background and some government agency gave you a permit to carry a gun?

I'm not in the habit of blindly trusting people I don't know. I don't generally distrust them but I'm usually on fairly equal footing with most people I meet and I generally give most people the benefit of the doubt. Now, you give that person a gun and immediately it puts me on the defensive, I start thinking of what if scenarios...having a child will do that to you. Honestly, I'd rather avoid that altogether.

Exactly. If some jackass wearing a gun showed up to my otherwise peaceful outdoor daytime event for children, I think the first thing to cross my mind would be how to kill them before they can kill everyone present. A chopstick to the temple comes to mind. I'm always carrying. Chopsticks, that is. And not in the open either.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: VashHT
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: VashHT
You know the funny thing about threads like this is people on both sides are just concerned for their own safety. The people carrying are doing it to protect themselves from possible attack, the people concerned with other people carrying know that IF someone with a gun attacked them they would be next to helpless since they do not have a gun. In the end both sides are assuming something bad COULD happen to them, and I find it hilarious how both sides call the other irrational for their concerns.

Because those of us with guns have the facts, statistics, and studies on our sides. That makes our views on the subject the rational ones.

Holding an opinion in direct opposition to observable facts is irrational. Period.

I don't see how statistics matter when it comes to my post at all, you'd have to show that guns can't hurt people in order to disprove my point. If you want to take chances with your life be my guest, but I certainly wouldn't ignore the fact that there is a single armed person in a crowd full of unarmed individuals. I wouldn't try to disarm or call the authorities on them, but I definitely would not be ignorant of the situation around me.

In order to be rational a fear must be of something that isn't only a physical possibility, but a statistical probability. Knowing that lawfully carried weapons are not a statistically significant factor in being harmed, but ARE a significant factor in the prevention of harm, only side of the argument is rational.

So, according to you, it would be IRRATIONAL for me to fear unprotected sex with a strange women, because the odds of contracting HIV are less than 10%. And if she's not on the pill, it would be IRRATIONAL to fear that she might get pregnant and I would be responsible for child support, since the odds of that are also probably less than 10%.

And if I loaded a single bullet into a revolver, it would be IRRATIONAL for me to feel fear if I played a single round of Russian roulette, since the odds of me blowing my own brains out would only be 1 in 6.

Have I fully understood you wisdom? Or should I check other "irrational" examples with you?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Ironic that owning a gun didn't prevent her from being killed by one...in her own home...by her husband...:(

Just goes to show you, you can't always trust people no matter how well you think you may know them. Which is EXACTLY the reason I don't want strangers wearing guns at a place where children, MY CHILDREN, are gathered to play soccer.

I don't know you from Adam so why should I automatically trust you because you don't have a criminal background and some government agency gave you a permit to carry a gun?

I'm not in the habit of blindly trusting people I don't know. I don't generally distrust them but I'm usually on fairly equal footing with most people I meet and I generally give most people the benefit of the doubt. Now, you give that person a gun and immediately it puts me on the defensive, I start thinking of what if scenarios...having a child will do that to you. Honestly, I'd rather avoid that altogether.

Exactly. If some jackass wearing a gun showed up to my otherwise peaceful outdoor daytime event for children, I think the first thing to cross my mind would be how to kill them before they can kill everyone present. A chopstick to the temple comes to mind. I'm always carrying. Chopsticks, that is. And not in the open either.

Sounds like you're the one that tends towards unprovoked, irrational violence. That's pretty common in anti-gun types. They themselves feel that they wouldn't be able to carry a gun without using it inappropriately when their temper flares, so they assume the same must be true of others.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Sounds like you're the one that tends towards unprovoked, irrational violence. That's pretty common in anti-gun types. They themselves feel that they wouldn't be able to carry a gun without using it inappropriately when their temper flares, so they assume the same must be true of others.

Anyone else see the irony of accusing "anti-gun types" for "unprovoked, irrational violence" in a thread about a woman who was shot and murdered by her husband?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

Anyone else see the irony of accusing "anti-gun types" for "unprovoked, irrational violence" in a thread about a woman who was shot and murdered by her husband?

Her husband, the parole officer? Besides, she probably had it coming.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

No, she was murdered by her husband.

That the government deemed suitable for a position in law enforcement.

The lesson here is that citizens should be armed and government employees should not.