Guitar Learners Alert: Youtube pulling guitar instructional videos!

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
I've been learning to play for the last ~6 months, and I've found videos put on Youtube to be invaluable to me. Many are short clips on songs, or fingering techniques. Some have been suggested by people on this forum...

Anyhow, NPR alluded to some videos that contain well known songs to be infringement. Here is the NPR link:
Morning Edition, July 6, 2007 · Thousands of guitar students lost a valuable resource last week. The most popular guitar teacher on YouTube saw his more than 100 videos yanked from the site. The reason: a music company accused him of copyright infringement for an instructional video on how to play a Rolling Stones song.

http://www.npr.org/templates/s...d=11778602&ft=1&f=1043

Well, it happened. I really liked "Next Level Guitar" videos - some of the most highly rated on Youtube...

Not only are the song chord videos gone, but all of the basic instructional videos (why, I don't know - they were just chord fingering)... There was some great stuff... :(

Luckily, I used keepvid to save some of the ones I've been practicing, but I wish I downloaded more.

Anyhow, I managed to find a few still up on google video,
before the hatchet comes down. The link below is to 'wonderful tonight' by Clapton. On the right sidebar there is about 20 videos of instructional techniques that can still be downloaded if you're into that thing (until they're also nuked). I hope somehow this comes back in some form. There were a few songs I really should have gotten. TTFN.

http://video.google.com/videop...d=-5525150442912369489

Oct 4, 2004
WTF? That is the most retarded thing I ever heard. What's next, dubbing romantic songs over wedding videos is copyright infringement?

Oct 4, 2004
Seriously, this is pretty stupid. I have zero musical talent but my Dad had a synthesizer and I thought it would be kinda cool to be able to play a few songs on it. Watching a few videos on Youtube, I learned how to play 'Imagine' and it was actually not too hard.

This sucks.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Whoa...wait a minute...wasn't this guy just posting videos from purchased DVD's and tapes? Or is this another guy i'm thinking of?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
WTF? That is the most retarded thing I ever heard. What's next, dubbing romantic songs over wedding videos is copyright infringement?

it allready is sorta, if you plan on giving each guest a copy even for free you can get fed for it

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Whoa...wait a minute...wasn't this guy just posting videos from purchased DVD's and tapes? Or is this another guy i'm thinking of?

He's got a paid site if you're really into it, so posting the free videos would entice you to join, but I thought the free videos were great.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is just the beginning. Once all the chips fall, the only thing left on youtube will be a bunch of Emo kids talking about the unfairness of life or how Fall Out Boy is the greatest band on Earth.

Everything else will fall under the scope of the DMCA somehow.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The good people do not approve! I love Dave @ Next Level. Words can not properly explain the lameness of this desperation by the recording companies. Next thing you know, tribute/cover bands are gone.

Impersonation (note, not copying) is the greatest form of flattery.
Appreciation of music is dead.

BTW - how does Ultimate-Guitar still manage to stay online?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If he has the videos and it's legal for him to post them (e.g. not ripped from commercial DVD) then he should just host them on his own website or host Torrents for them or something.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
That sucks. I just watched one of his videos. Makes me want to buy a guitar and learn how to play.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: vi_edit
The good people do not approve! I love Dave @ Next Level. Words can not properly explain the lameness of this desperation by the recording companies. Next thing you know, tribute/cover bands are gone.

Impersonation (note, not copying) is the greatest form of flattery.
Appreciation of music is dead.

BTW - how does Ultimate-Guitar still manage to stay online?

Love the UG site...grabbed mega tabs from them......this is BS though...everything is $$$$$ oriented

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Jesus fucking christ. That guy was awesome. First tab sites, and now this... what the fuck are these people smoking? Cause it must be some good shit.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
heh, I was actually going through the same videos thanks to the slashdot article

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
But that doesn't make any sense...Why would the music industry want to stunt the growth of future musicians? Logically, you would think that they would like this sort of stuff and think of it as an investment towards the future...

Oh wait, my bad... i forgot. The "music" in the music industry died a long time ago. Nowadays mainstream music is all fake, computerized, and barely involves any musical notes at all. They kill art for money. GG.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel

Technically, it is copyright infringement.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Mark Twain:

"Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet"

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Music industry doing what it does best, destroying people's interest in music.
I love Next Level Guitar videos. That guy rocks.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Dean
This is just the beginning. Once all the chips fall, the only thing left on youtube will be a bunch of Emo kids talking about the unfairness of life or how Fall Out Boy is the greatest band on Earth.

Everything else will fall under the scope of the DMCA somehow.

Don't forget the crappy J-pop and enigmatic Korean TV shows.