GUIMiner does not show Radeon HD 5770 as device

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
After uninstalling and reinstalling the appropriate ATI/AMD drivers (most recent official 9.012 and also beta 12.100.17.0 versions), Catalyst Control Center, and AMD APP SDK ver 2.8 (but only AMD APP SDK Samples ver. 2.8.10 will not install) numerous times, I still cannot get GUIMiner to recongize ATI Radeon HD 5770 Juniper GPU as an available device as it only shows my OpenCL i7 CPU which is only capable of about 4.7 Mhash/s. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on an Intel i7 2.8 MHz with 6 GB.

Presently GPU Cap Viewer 1.18.0 shows:
Driver: 12.100.17.0 - Catalyst 13.3 (3-20-2013);
Open CL: OpenCL 1.2, CPU compute units:8@2833MHz; and
OpenCL Version/Profile: OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (1124.2) FULL_PROFILE.

However, if I try to run one of GPU Cap Viewer's OpenCL demos, it shows the error messsage "OpenCL GPU not supported on the selected platform. Bye".

Any suggestions as to try to get GUIMiner to recongize the GPU as a mining device?

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Install SDK 2.7 and try again. (First uninstall everything 2.8 related)
I had troubles installing 2.8.

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
Piotrasama,
I did as you suggested uninstalling everything related to AMD APP SDK ver. 2.8 and installed AMD APP SDK ver. 2.7 which seemed to install without any problems. However, GUIMiner still only shows my i7 CPU as a device and does not show any GPU device. Any other suggestions?

Piotrsama

Feb 7, 2010
Can you run the OpenCL Demos now?
Also, show us some picture with what guiminer displays. (the combo with what it can use to mine)

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
Still cannot run GPU Caps Veiwer demos. Don't know how to attach .jpeg image of screenshot.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Uninstall all AMD drivers, and then navigate to the \Windows\SysWOW64 directory and remove "OpenCL.dll" and "amdocl.dll".

Once this is done Install the 2.6 SDK and thenthen install latest 3.3 beta's but deselect the latest SDK during install.

Let me know if that works.

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
Madpacket, anyone but me tell you today you're a GENIUS? You are!!! Thank you for ending my most recent frustration!!!

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
Madpacket, anyone but me tell you today you're a GENIUS? You are!!! Thank you for ending my most recent frustration!!!

emulcahy

Apr 9, 2013
Pardon the thread hijacking please,

I am having a very similar issue. I have 3x 5770s installed but Guiminer only detects 1 of them. I think this is because Windows only detects 1 of them. However when I right click on the AMD Vision Engine Control Center I see 3x cards listed. I have an image of this: http://imgur.com/Vgji14B

I have 1 monitor plugged into the card which is detected. I have 2x DVI plugs in the back of the video cards without monitors and I hooked up resistors to fake them out. (I followed a guide but do not have the link handy, but I have used these plugs before in a Windows mining setup and they did the trick, so I don't think it's that).

I followed Madpacket's instructions exactly - Full uninstall, App SDK 2.6, and then the latest 13.3 drivers without the App SDK (that is a typo, right? it's not really 3.3?).

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
Hi all,

N00b poster here. I have the same problem SVeig described: I've tried numerous versions of the Catalyst control center (including 11.1, 11.11, 12.1, 13.1, etc.) and SDK package, but I just can't get the SDK Runtime to install. I'm running a 64-bit W7 system with an AMD Radeon 5770.

I followed MadPacket's instructions exactly, but the installation still failed.

Would be grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

EGJ

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
I appreciate the input, Binky, but it doesn't change the fact that my mining clients (bitminter, guiminer) don't recognize my graphics card as an openCL device.

If what you say is true, do you have any other ideas as to why that might be the case? I've checked my settings in the control panel, and it says the graphics card is working fine.

SVeig

Apr 7, 2013
Welll Madpacket's advice to unintall all ATI/AMD drivers and then delete "OpenCL.dll" and "amdocl.dll worked in the sense that now I can install either the most recent Catalyst official 13.1 ver or Catalyst beta 13.3 ver and have the OpenCL Juniper recongized for example on GPU Caps Viewer 1.18.0 and can now run the demos thereon. Don't have to load any version the AMD APP SDK ss now the APP SDK Runtime in Cataylst 13.1 and 13.3 work.

However, when I now have OpenCL Juniper recongized and try to mine with GUIMiner, it shows it mines at about 180 Mhash/s, but it keeps getting "Verification failed, Check hardware" errors and when I swithch to OpenCL i7 CPU it shows "Connnection error" and I can't mine with either. Have no idea why I am now getting such errors with GUIMiner. Even tried 50Miner because it suppposedly automatically configures, but had similar connnection errors with it too.

Additionally, whenever I restart/reboot the computer it will not recongize the OpenCL Juniper GPU. I have to uninstall all AMD/ATI drivers and then reinstall either 13.1 or 13.3 again Getting to be very frustrating to say the least.

I can't imagine why merely rebooting would cause driver to effective lose OpenCL Juniper GPU as the driver settings should automatically be saved on shut down right?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Use the AMD driver remover tool then install an older driver like 12.6. Unless you need 13.1+ for some specific game fix, I'd avoid them for an older card like the 5770. They have given me a lot of problems.

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
Thanks, Binky. Is there a special tool you recommend or will the Catalyst Installer/Uninstaller work?

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
You're a star, Binky, thanks. I've uninstalled all AMD drivers and installed 12.6. The AMD APP SDK Runtime installation still failed, but hopefully I won't need it.

Just recording this before I restart my system again.

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
And... RATFARTS!

GPU Caps Viewer still shows no OpenCL support although I followed all your instructions to a T.

A screenshot of the GPU Caps Viewer can be seen at http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3237/gpuoutput.jpg

I have SP1 installed.

One potential issue is that I have two monitors hooked up to the graphics card. Could that be blocking something?

Thanks again,
EGH
gpuoutput.jpg

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
In case anyone has this problem, I finally managed to fix it on my computer.

Starting with madpacket's and Binky's tips above, I wiped all drivers with the AMD uninstall utility, then installed the 12-6_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe file, followed by the AMD-APP-SDK-v2.8-Windows-64.exe file in custom mode, and unchecked the SDK demonstrations. The SDK runtime installed and the GPU caps viewer reports the OpenCL compatibility.

My miner is now humming along at 170+ Mhps. Not much, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Last edited:

jayrat

Apr 18, 2013
Uninstall all AMD drivers, and then navigate to the \Windows\SysWOW64 directory and remove "OpenCL.dll" and "amdocl.dll".

Once this is done Install the 2.6 SDK and thenthen install latest 3.3 beta's but deselect the latest SDK during install.

Let me know if that works.

hey madpacket, my 5770 wont appear in the dropdown menu either so i was going to try what u said here but had a few questions. The computer i mine coins with is a computer i use everyday im using windows xp 32 bit so i couldn't find a syswow64 file but im sure i can find the opencl.dll and amdocl.dll files and delete them.

What i am wondering is that like i said, i use this computer for gaming.. etc... im just going to mine coins on my offtime but was wondering if isntalling 2.6 sdk and the latest 3.3 betas will affect my other pc experiences (mainly gaming).

Also, if u feel like putting in the extra effort i was wondering if u could link me the proper 2.6 download and where i go to download the 3.3 beta.

I AM USED TO JUST GOIN TO THE AMD SITE and choosing my OS, graphics card, etc and downloading the latest ati driver/catalyst center.

jayrat

Apr 18, 2013
hey madpacket, my 5770 wont appear in the dropdown menu either so i was going to try what u said here but had a few questions. The computer i mine coins with is a computer i use everyday im using windows xp 32 bit so i couldn't find a syswow64 file but im sure i can find the opencl.dll and amdocl.dll files and delete them.

What i am wondering is that like i said, i use this computer for gaming.. etc... im just going to mine coins on my offtime but was wondering if isntalling 2.6 sdk and the latest 3.3 betas will affect my other pc experiences (mainly gaming).

Also, if u feel like putting in the extra effort i was wondering if u could link me the proper 2.6 download and where i go to download the 3.3 beta.

I AM USED TO JUST GOIN TO THE AMD SITE and choosing my OS, graphics card, etc and downloading the latest ati driver/catalyst center.

bump...

help me please?

jayrat

Apr 18, 2013
In case anyone has this problem, I finally managed to fix it on my computer.

Starting with madpacket's and Binky's tips above, I wiped all drivers with the AMD uninstall utility, then installed the 12-6_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe file, followed by the AMD-APP-SDK-v2.8-Windows-64.exe file in custom mode, and unchecked the SDK demonstrations. The SDK runtime installed and the GPU caps viewer reports the OpenCL compatibility.

My miner is now humming along at 170+ Mhps. Not much, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

HEY man i did exactly what you did... i got 170 mhps when i had newest drivers but failed to confirm error so i had to downgrade to 12-6 and install sdk and uncheck samples but im only getting 130 mhps now with these old drivers... are u overclocking? how come im getting less and how can i fix this

Last edited:

ELGrandJefe

Apr 10, 2013
jayrat: I get ~180 Mh/s at stock speeds and ~204 MH/s overclocked to 960 Mhz.

What you get will depend on your card. Speeds vary from brand to brand (some low-price makes are 20% overclocked in the standard settings, for example). You might also have some heat throttling issues, so make sure your card is clean of dust and that your fan is working.

I've heard you can install the latest drivers, which I believe is 13.1, as long as you do NOT upgrade the SDK runtime (that means installing in custom mode). I don't know if this will improve your performance, however.

Hope that helps.