Guild Wars 2. How is it?

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Guild Wars 2 opinions so far?

I was a die hard GW fan, and played it for about 3-4 years straight, but when virtually ALL ways of farming were removed the game became much less fun to me, because I no longer had any reliable way of making money.

Another thing that killed it for me was the fact that big, large party PvP was virtually impossible for someone who didn't have friends in RL. Same was somewhat true for PvE although it was much easier to find a descent party. I felt like the game became way too party oriented and solo players were completely ignored and left in the dust.

I made a toon in Pre-Searing Ascalon and played there, because that is what felt more like Guild Wars when it just came out, in it's untainted form by all the bad decisions on Anet's part that came later.

I hated how collectors were added that could craft almost any skin or type item for cheap, making it no fun trying to get anything special. I hated the stupid minipets. They associated with things like "hello kitty", "9 year old girls", "gay", "pink flowers" and the like. The myriad of titles for which you had to grind for like a maniac to get anything truly cool didn't make the game any better.

What I loved about GW, was it's PvE aspect and I played that for a very, very long time unlocking elite skills and grinding loot and generally enjoying myself.

Sadly, I dont even have one tenth of the free time I used to have back then anymore. Now there's a full time job, and a Masters degree.

Is guild wars 2 a game that can be played and enjoyed with only 2 hours per day, or is that simply not gonna cut it? I'd hate to waste $40-60 for something that simply ain't gonna happen for me, but as a huge guild wars fan that played the original since early beta and partook in most events I am dying to at least try this.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Yup. The beta thread isn't really about the beta anymore as you can imagine.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
Guild Wars 2 opinions so far?

I was a die hard GW fan, and played it for about 3-4 years straight, but when virtually ALL ways of farming were removed the game became much less fun to me, because I no longer had any reliable way of making money.

Another thing that killed it for me was the fact that big, large party PvP was virtually impossible for someone who didn't have friends in RL. Same was somewhat true for PvE although it was much easier to find a descent party. I felt like the game became way too party oriented and solo players were completely ignored and left in the dust.

I made a toon in Pre-Searing Ascalon and played there, because that is what felt more like Guild Wars when it just came out, in it's untainted form by all the bad decisions on Anet's part that came later.

I hated how collectors were added that could craft almost any skin or type item for cheap, making it no fun trying to get anything special. I hated the stupid minipets. They associated with things like "hello kitty", "9 year old girls", "gay", "pink flowers" and the like. The myriad of titles for which you had to grind for like a maniac to get anything truly cool didn't make the game any better.

What I loved about GW, was it's PvE aspect and I played that for a very, very long time unlocking elite skills and grinding loot and generally enjoying myself.

Sadly, I dont even have one tenth of the free time I used to have back then anymore. Now there's a full time job, and a Masters degree.

Is guild wars 2 a game that can be played and enjoyed with only 2 hours per day, or is that simply not gonna cut it? I'd hate to waste $40-60 for something that simply ain't gonna happen for me, but as a huge guild wars fan that played the original since early beta and partook in most events I am dying to at least try this.

(A) - It is fun, you do not need plenty of time to enjoy it, as anything you basically does gives you xp, and the best part is. Dailies are in this game in that each 24h, the first few monsters you haven't killed recently and heart you finish gives a chunk of bonus xp for being the first in the new 24h time (or aka dailies). There is also monthlies that give a lot too.

(B) - PvE or PvP has no need for big groups. Most of the grouping (but dungeons and organized pvp) is large groups that auto group you when in a vicinity/zone. Dungeons are 5 mans and organized pvp from what I can tell is 8 man. Otherwise you shouldnt ever need a bigger group to get stuff done.

(C) - Each character has unique parts of their story based on some of the information you choose during character creation (and race). And some skills you can learn are race based too. The worlds look amazing on a strong graphic card too, and many have agreed even the recently released SWTOR's graphics do not compare.

(D) - Combat is much more active. In GW1 you couldhit space bar to auto move and attack to a target and press attack buttons. This isn't so true, as spacebar is now used to jump. There is a "dodge"button you can use to dodge attacks (2 charges, that refills over time) and there is no mana/rage/energy. Everything is based on skill cooldowns, so you cannot spam attacks. And there are class combos in which 2 abilities from 2 classes can mix together for extra damage. And then like GW1 i combat your bar cannot be changes, except the first 5 skills which are based on the weapon/element you are using. (which at lv 7+ you can switch at least 1 different weapon in combat). There is no "tank" or "healer" however almost any class can put skills and points intio abilities that make them take a better beating and/or recover themselves and otehrs from a good beating.

Any specific questions would be better asked as it is hard to generalize a lot that goes on in GW2.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
GW2 is completely awesome.

/thread

Seriously you can play for 2 hours a day completely solo and have a great time. Get it for 25% off on GMG and you won't regret it for a second.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
GW2 has alot of hype, just like Diablo III did.

Not everyone is equally pleased with GW2, but it has a crazy fanbase.
To the point where its probably hard to get a objective answear to the question.

That said...even Ive been hyped by seeing the videos (I havnt played it yet),
Im waiting to see what the game is like a after a month or so (endgame).

There are threads like this though (and 2x as many possitive ones):

Being level 80, sucks.
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/10862-Being-level-80-sucks

10 Reasons I'm considering asking for a refund.
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/10514-10-Reasons-I-m-considering-asking-for-a-refund

First anti-social MMO ever?
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/9994-First-ant-social-MMO-ever

A little disappointed
http://www.guildwars2forum.com/threads/10165-A-little-disappointed

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Guild Wars 2 is pretty damn good, but it really isn't a sequel, but rather a re-imagining.

You no longer have to get elite skills from mobs, but are given 5 skills depending on your weapons, and 5 more you can select and choose from a pool of unlockable skills. So if you use a staff, you get 5 set skills, but those skills are different if you use a dagger and focus; and in the case of melee, you can switch weapons in combat to make full use of all the different skills.

PVE feels much more polished this time around, obviously drawing some inspiration from the 'good' mechanics of games like WoW, but completely new in other areas like quests - there aren't any. No quest logs, simply go to a heart area and do things like killing, reviving, and gathering (any or all, up to you) and when a bar fills, you are done. I really like this.

The end game is challenging in PVE without being Diablo 3 Inferno stupid; and now mentioning that, I get the feeling GW2 is the game Diablo 3 should have been.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I get the feeling GW2 is the game Diablo 3 should have been.

What made diablo III fall on its face was (inpart) the item-system,

Diablo II had "runewords" more "gem's" better skill/prefix system for randomisation,
and uniques that stood out. Diablo III is missing that....

Guildwars 2 doesnt have a "item" system, where stats can vary and all items are unique with random stats ect. Its quite the oppersite, its easy to get to endgame, and get the "best" gear thats equal for all of the same type. In pvp your auto leveled to the same level, with the same gear, so your equalised. Thats NOTHING like diablo, where item's in part in pvp was more akin to "might makes right", and the ones that put most effort into grinding gears usually won in pvp.

I felt like I had to make this post, because the comment was so off.

also GW2:

There are people that are max level now, with the best possible gears the game allows.
How long has the game been out? what are they gonna do ingame from now on?

It doesnt sound like the game will be one that "lasts" along time.
Not something to play for years and years in its current state.

al981

Golden Member
May 28, 2009
also GW2:

There are people that are max level now, with the best possible gears the game allows.

World vs. World vs. World.

It's great, and will keep the majority entertained for years. See Daoc. Daoc killed itself by introducing useless PvE.

SS Trooper

Jun 18, 2012
I never played or even looked into GW1, but I'm really enjoying GW2. You can most definately enjoy the game solo, and only for a couple hours a day. In those two hours you can explore, quest, gather, or craft, and all of these things will level you. The story is pretty good so far, and I enjoy the chaos in some of the dynamic events.

I am worried about endgame, the trading post(auction house) isn't working yet, minor lag spikes(seriously for just being released it was very well done, but they are always annoying), and the WvWvW pvp queues are very long.

My recommendation is to buy it, join our guild, and enjoy. There's no subscription, so even just a Master's Degree should be able to afford it :D

..... I choose not to eat to afford my crack, I mean games....

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
What made diablo III fall on its face was (inpart) the item-system,

Diablo II had "runewords" more "gem's" better skill/prefix system for randomisation,
and uniques that stood out. Diablo III is missing that....

Guildwars 2 doesnt have a "item" system, where stats can vary and all items are unique with random stats ect. Its quite the oppersite, its easy to get to endgame, and get the "best" gear thats equal for all of the same type. In pvp your auto leveled to the same level, with the same gear, so your equalised. Thats NOTHING like diablo, where item's in part in pvp was more akin to "might makes right", and the ones that put most effort into grinding gears usually won in pvp.

I felt like I had to make this post, because the comment was so off.

also GW2:

Actually the exotic level 80 items seems to be harder to get than expected, so you might have some of the gear grind you enjoy - there are a few threads like what ever happened to horizontal progression? where people complain they cant get the best items once reach level 80.

And of course part of what keeps playing to get fluff stuff (in WoW players also play for achievements, mounts, better looking items, mini pets) is superior game play and depth. And guild wars 2 has plenty of those.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
I never played or even looked into GW1, but I'm really enjoying GW2. You can most definately enjoy the game solo, and only for a couple hours a day. In those two hours you can explore, quest, gather, or craft, and all of these things will level you. The story is pretty good so far, and I enjoy the chaos in some of the dynamic events.

I am worried about endgame, the trading post(auction house) isn't working yet, minor lag spikes(seriously for just being released it was very well done, but they are always annoying), and the WvWvW pvp queues are very long.

My recommendation is to buy it, join our guild, and enjoy. There's no subscription, so even just a Master's Degree should be able to afford it :D

..... I choose not to eat to afford my crack, I mean games....

The trading post should working fine today - at least it was for me and my guild (I played some 6 hours today).
Also, no problem seeing the upgrades of the guild, guild chat with no delays or accessing guild armor smith and weapon smith and guild vault.

Seems the latest update fixed most of the problems regarding guilds and trading post.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Actually the exotic level 80 items seems to be harder to get than expected, so you might have some of the gear grind you enjoy - there are a few threads like what ever happened to horizontal progression? where people complain they cant get the best items once reach level 80.
^ that actually sounds good to me.

People act like they want to be able to Rush the game, get 80 within a week, and all the best gear the game has to offer by then too.

There is such a thing as too casual a game.
To the point where getting rewards/victories feels almost degrading. (people are saying dynamic events are like that atm)

like youd pat a retarded kid on the head and congratulate him (give him a golden star) for a drawing that displays just that
(that hes retarded and cant draw to the level's other kids his age should be able too do).

Im not sure how to discribe it, but thats the feeling you get.
Its belittling if there is no challenge to games, no "grind".

Last edited:

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
I'm only lvl 14, play about an hour a day so far. I just stay near events and get the exp from there. Got 4 green items, 3 armors and a short bow so far.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it is amazing.

question: how do you think GW1 became less solo-friendly? If anything, the advent of Heroes with NF made it a big online solo fest with the occasional desire to maybe team up with someone. It is, I think, the biggest solo-oriented MMO out there. Also--when I was sitll playing rather regularly (about 3 years ago), ecto farming was still viable, but I moved on to things like feather farming which were more consistent and efficient.

GW1 never ever "removed farming" All they ever did was tweak skills here and there, making certain builds no longer viable for certain farms...only to find those same farms easily replaced by another build on another class. Most people adapted :\

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
How in the hell are people 80 already with the best gear? I feel like I've spent too much time playing at level 37. I really doubt anyone that rushes to 80 in a few days is not going to be satisfied with anything that is a large commercial title.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
How in the hell are people 80 already with the best gear? I feel like I've spent too much time playing at level 37. I really doubt anyone that rushes to 80 in a few days is not going to be satisfied with anything that is a large commercial title.

There's playing to enjoy, looking at scenery and reading all the story.

Then there's playing the most time efficient way, skip all the story lines, use generic strategies, use money.

Tim Buckley of CAD Comic posted a pretty big rant about GW2, and I do agree with it. It was hyped as a revolutionary game, that it was going to do SO many things differently and such. They didn't really deliver, it's a VERY solid MMO though but it's not what they said it'd be or what a lot of people were hoping for.

I don't regret the money I put down for it (specially since I only paid $48 :p) but it feels a lot like many other MMO's. The amazing visuals + epic storylines (granted a lot of the VA could use quite a bit more emotion) are enough to make it an enjoyable experience for me.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

there aren't many, if any with "the best gear." 80 was pretty easy, but collecting the best gear isn't.

this information comes from those that haven't played it.

But still, the "best gear" is a relative concept in GW. ;)