Guide to how i killed my 3870 X2

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I did read the techreport artical on cards and their performance and i had this feeling that my 3870 X2 was a stupid buy...

So i decided to voltage mod. first off 1.44 V @ vgpu core and 2.0 V for the memory then i OC the core till 880 mhz and 2.0 Ghz for memory... I did not get artifacts on 3dmark 06 but did on crysis "rocks". So i raised the freq. to 900Mhz core and 2.15 Mhz memory the card did work after the restart i till the point i started ati tool 3d demo... The system hung for a sec the a black screen i restarted the dam thing and the thing did not work at all!! I am getting a no signal on screen so much for my F**KI*N experiment~!!

I am back to 2900 Pro for now, can anyone help me how to find out if the card is really burned out??

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
I don't think you need any help, it's pretty evident you fried it.

Keychain? Paperweight?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Maybe it ran hot at that voltage!? Have you monitored your temperatures during the tests?

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
I like how you upped the clocks after you got the artifacts in Crysis. :p

That's hardcore, yo!

:laugh:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
if you have another vid card, try swapping it with that, reset profile or remove the overclocking utility, then put the x2 back in, see if that would work..

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com

That's hardcore, yo!

I cringed a little bit when I read that sentence. It's like watching a train wreck on TV after it's already happened.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by: lyssword
if you have another vid card, try swapping it with that, reset profile or remove the overclocking utility, then put the x2 back in, see if that would work..

He did say he was back up with his 2900pro, he should at least try and removing the volt mods and yes make sure there is not a profile for his 3870 that will try and load up when it sees the card.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Killrose
Originally posted by: lyssword

He did say he was back up with his 2900pro, he should at least try and removing the volt mods and yes make sure there is not a profile for his 3870 that will try and load up when it sees the card.

If the card is not making past POST I don't think removing the software will help him at all.

tylerw13

Aug 9, 2006
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh
I did read the techreport artical on cards and their performance and i had this feeling that my 3870 X2 was a stupid buy...

my questions are why on earth did you keep it and not sell it??? and next why on earth did you not think that it would fry?? and lastly why on earth did you get pissed when it did?? shouldnt you have known better??

anyway sounds like its going to be a great expensive brick....lol @ quicksilver!!!

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ajaidevsingh

I don't think it was a stupid buy, just a stupid try. Thats a pretty expensive test that went right into the "inexperienced at it's best" award.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

That's hardcore, yo!

I thought i misunderstood that part when I read it...

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: spittledip

That's hardcore, yo!

I thought i misunderstood that part when I read it...

So did I.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
This has "joke thread" written all over it. Here let me try:

"Hi guys, I bought a Qx9770 on my credit card, and realized it was probably a dumb use of $1500. So to test it, I put 1.7v through it with no heat-sink. It started smoking and beeping during POST, so I decided to try 1.9v. Guess what? It doesnt work AT ALL anymore. Can someone help me figure out if it is really burned out?"

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

"Hi guys, I bought a Qx9770 on my credit card, and realized it was probably a dumb use of $1500. So to test it, I put 1.7v through it with no heat-sink. It started smoking and beeping during POST, so I decided to try 1.9v. Guess what? It doesnt work AT ALL anymore. Can someone help me figure out if it is really burned out?"

:thumbsup:

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
I just came back from a local computer shop, the guy said the card died because of voltage leakage not because of the temp.!

He said that he could give me about $20 for the card.

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008

That's hardcore, yo!

I used to get artifacts on some crysis surfaces after i OC the 3870 X2 a little also!! I only took ATI tool artifact scanner seriously!!

ajaidevsingh

Mar 7, 2008
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

Well its no joke "I hope my card is not just playing dead"

And i did a mod after i saw the lack of performance of a 3870 X2 in respect to 9800 GX2 "Thats how i came to the conclusion that the money spend on 3870 X2 could have gotton 9800 GTX SLi!!

1.44 v has been used befour as for the cooler its water cooled. I read a thread where the user upped the voltage till 1.5 v @ 1ghz core with water cooling. The thing did not Beep or smoke.