Guide for editing Shadow play and obs game play recordings

Aug 11, 2017
Hi everyone, this is going to be my guide on how to take the raw footage files created from Shadow play and OBS and turn them into a workable state in which you can easily edit.

first here are the programs you will need.
OBS/ Nvdia Experiance
  1. HandBreak
  2. Eyeframe
  3. Light works (x64(14.0.0.0))

All of the above programs are free and have there own dedicated web pages in which you can download the programs.

The first thing that you are going to want to do is convert your raw footage in HandBreak to a constant frames per second. I use 59.95 because that is what light works exports at but you can also use 60.

The reason for this step is because Shadow play records in a variable frame rate, If you open the raw file straight into light works the audio will go out of sync with the video due to the playback and exporting being a solid frame rate.

Exporting through HandBreak resolves the issue with the audio while editing and exporting.

one would then think that they could just now edit this file in Light works and everything would be fine. However after exporting the file through HandBreak the file is now compressed into a MP4 format which lightworks struggles to play back and makes the program run extremely slow jittery and lag.

To then go on to fix this issue we must now convert the file into something that is easy for Light works to work with.

Take the file you have exported from HandBreak and open it withing Eyeframe and click convert,( no need to mess around with the settings. This will make a large file that is easy for Lightworks to use. You can now import this file into light works for editing.
The following steps achieve a file that is high quality ( depending on your HandBreak settings) that runs at a constant frame rate with in sync audio and is easy for lightworks to use stutter free while playing back and scrubbing.

I Know this is a lot of information and seems like a lot of hard work but it is worth it if you wish to edit your game play footage.
I have been searching for a guide myself to figure out how to do this for ages and finally got my head around how to do it myself after lots of trial and error.

Thanks for reading and i hope this helps anyone who is looking into editing there game play for youtube.

PS, there will be a full video guide that i will link once my you tube guide is complete.

Reactions: DigDog

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
This is really interesting. I record some of my gameplay footage for fun and to show my friends, nothing of professional quality. But I have noticed that the footage coming off of shadowplay is really poor quality despite my shadowplay settings. Maybe following this guide will help me out a bit, I'll try the handbrake route next time I'm working with something. I don't plan on publishing any of my videos to the public, but good quality videos are nice to have.

Aug 11, 2017
This is really interesting. I record some of my gameplay footage for fun and to show my friends, nothing of professional quality. But I have noticed that the footage coming off of shadowplay is really poor quality despite my shadowplay settings. Maybe following this guide will help me out a bit, I'll try the handbrake route next time I'm working with something. I don't plan on publishing any of my videos to the public, but good quality videos are nice to have.
this will not improve your shadow play quality, if you want to do that you need to set shadow play to record in game resolution with a higher bit rate, or i personally prefer obs x264 with a variable frame rate. it works really well and defiantly worth a try

Aug 11, 2017
if you like i can record some overwatch tonight, edit it using the methord above and link you to the results so you can see what its like ? are you allowed to link to youtube on here ?

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
this will not improve your shadow play quality, if you want to do that you need to set shadow play to record in game resolution with a higher bit rate, or i personally prefer obs x264 with a variable frame rate. it works really well and defiantly worth a try
I assume OBS would suck more computer resources than shadowplay does, is this correct? I don't exactly have a monster of a computer, but shadowplay works fine. If that's not the case, then I'll just switch to OBS.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I assume OBS would suck more computer resources than shadowplay does, is this correct? I don't exactly have a monster of a computer, but shadowplay works fine. If that's not the case, then I'll just switch to OBS.

OBS uses the CPU, so it might be a problem if your CPU isn't up to the task of doing Games and Recording.

Not So Mild

Jun 9, 2017
OBS uses the CPU, so it might be a problem if your CPU isn't up to the task of doing Games and Recording.
I currently have an AMD 6300. I know it's pretty dated, and I've tried booting up a quick twitch stream in the past to show some friends how to do a few things in games, and it REALLY chugs, but that was in DayZ and Arma, so it might be fine recording. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt it'll work very well if OBS uses CPU.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well, i was first thinking "is the a guide to editing videos, or a request for a guide to editing videos?". and also, it's not like anyone here needs to wants a guide to editing videos .. except i was wrong. i had no idea shadowplay used variable framerates, and i blamed the sync problems on the encoder, or alternatively, on youtube's video processing.

Aug 11, 2017
well, i was first thinking "is the a guide to editing videos, or a request for a guide to editing videos?". and also, it's not like anyone here needs to wants a guide to editing videos .. except i was wrong. i had no idea shadowplay used variable framerates, and i blamed the sync problems on the encoder, or alternatively, on youtube's video processing.
Well glad you have learned something nether the less :) try my methord it's perfect :)